What is up with the UFC translators?

pointfighter

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is something I wish the UFC would address, there's a lot of great translators out there so I'm not sure how the ones Zuffa finds are all so bad....

In their post fight speeches fighters will talk for like two minutes straight, and then when Joe points the mic at the translator all we get is "I had a great camp I was very prepared"

What the fuck? That's obviously not what he just said. One of the worst I've seen recently is when Godofredo Pepey got an insane flying knee KO @ Henderson vs Shogun 2. He goes into some long story, very emotional, tears in his eyes and then addresses the crowd and they go nuts. Then the translator says literally two generic sentences as his translation. I can understand the pressure and the difficulty of trying to hear every word from a tired, possibly mumbling fighter but it seems like they just give canned responses regardless of what the dude just said.

The young Brazilian translator is usually alright, aside from the Pepey speech he tries to be as literal as he can.
The flower pen Japanese girl tries her best and does ok, but you can tell she is way overwhelmed by the spotlight.
Dude who translates for the Russians doesn't even fucking try.

[...]

The young Brazilian translator is usually alright, aside from the Pepey speech he tries to be as literal as he can.
The flower pen Japanese girl tries her best and does ok, but you can tell she is way overwhelmed by the spotlight.
Dude who translates for the Russians doesn't even fucking try.

yes i agree... the young Brazilian translator is alright. I think part of the problem is that they sometimes use cornermen or coaches to translate who are not fluent aswell and maybe nervous being in the spotlight? I think Korean Zombies huge manager guy also is ok translator...

more fighting, less talking.

Don't care much about background stories, just entertain us for less than 3-5 rounds.

yes i agree... the young Brazilian translator is alright. I think part of the problem is that they sometimes use cornermen or coaches to translate who are not fluent aswell and maybe nervous being in the spotlight? I think Korean Zombies huge manager guy also is ok translator...

I forgot about KZ's buddy. You can tell he's nervous but does a good job.

I think sometimes a fighter will go on to the point where the translator can only remember so much and defaults to "great camp, well prorated"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Completely agree with the guy above. Many fighters ramble on after a victory, so the translator has to get the important parts of the speech.

They just cut out all the cliches about God.

It's an interpreter not a translator, translation is written, and they are forgetting a bit and missing out the filler.

Most times, they don't hire professional translators at all. It is usually just some guy from the fighter's camp who speaks OK English.

The cornermen are speaking about 1000 words a minute in between rounds.

UFC translation: "Breathe. Breathe.........Breathe, Breathe."

the young brazilian translator normally says everything the winner just said, by far he is the best that appeared. he only avoids several names.....most of the speechs are about the whole name from each single guy at the camp...

but he does fine, way better than the gorgeous lady that did in the first events in brazil, where she just messed up everything..and aldo the big dude that just said whatever he wanted

but the corner, defintly is ridiculous...they skip all important information

The cornermen are speaking about 1000 words a minute in between rounds.

UFC translation: "Breathe. Breathe.........Breathe, Breathe."

Yeah, those translations in between rounds are just terrible. Marcos Madiana had an awsome one in his last fight against Mayweather.

Another classic is "Look for the right hand" when they can't catch up with what the coaches are saying. :D

p4p pen champ

428584_346714635372932_167036830007381_1100588_1701925013_n_large_large.jpg

Yeah, those translations in between rounds are just terrible. Marcos Madiana had an awsome one in his last fight against Mayweather.

Another classic is "Look for the right hand" when they can't catch up with what the coaches are saying. :D

Another one is when the coach gives the fighter some water: "Here. Drink some water."

Back