What is up with people taking cats and dogs as "children" instead of real children?

I remember thinking this way when I was in my mid-to-late 20s. Heck, even just before I met my future wife, I had already “decided” I was never getting married and/or having children. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this was probably due to upbringing, crummy relationships with crummy girls, etc. However, I met my AWESOME future Wife, and I suddenly had a much different perspective. Not saying that’ll be the case with you, but that’s my story.

I remember thinking this way when I was in my mid-to-late 20s. Heck, even just before I met my future wife, I had already “decided” I was never getting married and/or having children. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this was probably due to upbringing, crummy relationships with crummy girls, etc. However, I met my AWESOME future Wife, and I suddenly had a much different perspective. Not saying that’ll be the case with you, but that’s my story.
There is definitely an opportunity for a happy family and marriage out there, so the door will not be totally closed.

As it looks now, from my personal experiences, family, friends and the internet, it just not worth the gamble. Majority of my friends, and family that are married advise against it.

I would change my mind if the laws change and don't incentives women to divorce.

Personally being an introvert, I find the less people I deal with the happier I am. With a marriage/family, it introduces alot of ppl in your life.

I raised my three kids & a stepdaughter with my ex-wife & now they're all adults.

Now that I'm with my new wife we have two cats that we love to death & my wife even jokingly calls them "her kids" but we certainly don't ever forget that they're animals not actual children. So, we're not completely emotionally dependant on them or anything. I mean, we leave them the hell home when we go out to do things rather than taking them everywhere in carriers & into stores & such, That to me is way too extreme.

But I'm not about to get outraged by those who choose to do so either. It's their lives & if they choose to live like that it's not going to bother me. They're not hurting anyone so who cares?

I think it comes down to whatever makes those people happy. Worlds pretty shitty and if they find some happiness out of babying a pet why not let them be.
In my experience we all have eccentricities that annoy the shit out of people and have no or little self awareness of it. Like being opinionated when no one gives a fuck about your opinion.
As long as you have some awareness and don’t shove it down other people’s throat. Do it because it makes you happy. It shouldn’t matter whether it makes anyone else happy.

I mean I love my cat and think of him sort of like my little furry kid. But he's just a pet. I like kids but don't have any of my own and live alone. Honestly if it wasn't for my cat I'd probably get really depressed.

He's so eager to hang out and happy to see me, that I don't really have time to get sad and lonely.

A lot of people nowadays just don't want to have kids. Can be for several reasons.

Many of them will tell you its about the population, carbon footprint etc. which is true to an extent, but its also about the added work, stress and responsibility of raising a child. Pets are just easier. They aren't your kids but they are easier.

I'm on the fence myself about having kids. I'm not super hopeful about our future rn i don't know if itl be fair to bring someone into this shit show.

pretty much this. my wife doesn't want kids and neither do I which is one of the reasons we are married (similar life goals/trajectory). we both enjoy taking care of animals but don't want kids of our own. we've discussed the possibility of adopting down the road when we are older and better suited for the task but right now it's not something either of us wants.

obviously I understand my pets aren't my literal flesh and blood children but I treat them very good and love them a lot because they give me a lot of happiness and peace in my life.

Probably because of these.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47154287
Indian man to sue parents for giving birth to him

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...rents-claiming-they-owe-her-money-for-college
Teen Sues Parents, Claiming They Owe Her Money For College

Can't find the article where the kid sued their parents because he grew accustomed to living of high life and his aging parents finally cut him/her off after he was 20+ or 30+.

If there are shit entitled kids around.
Expect people that rather want animals as kids.

EDIT:
That said, don't confuse me with people that call pets their kids. I love animals, but they remain animals/pets for me.

I have yet to meet a child that i'd want around me all the time.. hell an hour is too much.. animals on the other hand..

Just like many people feel about loose cats/dogs i feel about children.. why are the owners letting their kids run around, being dirty, loud and obnoxious? Why are they screaming in restaurants, stores etc and everyones supposed to be fine with that..

With that said it's insanity thinking your pet is an actual child with human needs or expecting others to think so..

I can however understand people chosing animals instead of children.. what i can't understand is people forcing children on others.. less competition for your offspring asshole, just shut up and be grateful for that.. and no, just like you don't want to pet my dog i don't want to play with your child..

I got no problem with people who baby their pets. It's kind of annoying when they want to take them EVERYWHERE though.

Same with people who have to take their kids everywhere though

fuck you I have both a dog & a cat, & they are like my children. because they literally are. I had them since they were babies. they each have their own instagrams & have a huge following, respectively. I dress them up in new outfits everyday. plus companies & fans are always sending treats & gear - free of charge. I love taking them to my friends' kids' birthday parties. they're always received really well.

the only thing that sucks is that the girls I date - it never really goes far because I tell them that they have to accept them as their kids too if they want to stay with me. they're my family. one day though..

fuck you I have both a dog & a cat, & they are like my children. because they literally are. I had them since they were babies. they each have their own instagrams & have a huge following, respectively. I dress them up in new outfits everyday. plus companies & fans are always sending treats & gear - free of charge. I love taking them to my friends' kids' birthday parties. they're always received really well.

the only thing that sucks is that the girls I date - it never really goes far because I tell them that they have to accept them as their kids too if they want to stay with me. they're my family. one day though..

<Gizmo01>

Sister is a dog mom. She gained weight during college then got fit and lost it all but still feels like she's a fat chick. Makes me genuinely sad. I've tried setting her up with my friends but she always bails first.

Dogs never say shit but they always listen.

Haha I can relate on that. I was so glad my girl clicked with my cat right away. Because I'm not getting rid of him for anyone.

She always brings him little treats and toys and stuff, so he gets all excited every time she comes over.

I know a lot of children of divorce don't want to get married. Maybe there are people who were abused as a child, scarred by the experience, don't want kids themselves but paternal instincts kick in so they got pets as substitute. Of course, I am only talking about some of them, I'm sure there are other reasons why they do this.

Sister is a dog mom. She gained weight during college then got fit and lost it all but still feels like she's a fat chick. Makes me genuinely sad. I've tried setting her up with my friends but she always bails first.

Dogs never say shit but they always listen.
um....pics?

You'll change your mind in the next few years. Not because you'll find that a longterm relationship and kids are any better of an option. But because they'll be your only option other than slowly rotting away and dying alone. I mean dude, what if you're 40 and you get a bum knee while doing squats so you can't lift or do things like hiking anymore?? You're gonna end up rotting away playing video game and shit for the rest of your life LOL. You'll also start to realize that women your age will be becoming infertile soon, so now's your last chance.

I'm only a few years older than you; I was you just 2-3 years ago. So these realizations will happen for you soon. The infertile part because it takes like 3-4 years to build a relationship into one where you're married and have children, and it takes like a year to meet a good girl. Maybe you end up breaking up with her, so then you have to start the timer all over again. So you start doing the math and you realize you need to start trying to make it happen NOW, not when you're 40.

You can't stay young, beautiful, and healthy forever.... If you could though, then yeah fuck having a family.

It's better side of a bigger dichotomy.

On one side, we have people treating pets too much like people. Yeah, it's strange and annoying.

But I'll take that over other things I've seen. People chaining their pit bulls in the basement. People leaving their dogs in the house without food, some even leave them to die in the house of starvation. Some throw them away like trash.

So yeah, the "fur children" thing is lame but at least the pets are being treated better than joe slums dog whose living in its own filth and 60 pounds underweight.

What does people having allergies to pets but not children have to do with anything?

The kind of people who think their pets are their children sometimes insist on their pets being present* in situations where it aggravates someone else's allergies, because "their pet will have their feelings crushed if they are excluded from the visit/birthday/holiday/whatever gathering".

* Either in the room at the crazy person's house, instead of locked away. Or being brought along to someone else's house, because leaving them at home would be like making someone else leave their children at home.

Back