What is up with people taking cats and dogs as "children" instead of real children?

A lot of people nowadays just don't want to have kids. Can be for several reasons.

Many of them will tell you its about the population, carbon footprint etc. which is true to an extent, but its also about the added work, stress and responsibility of raising a child. Pets are just easier. They aren't your kids but they are easier.

I'm on the fence myself about having kids. I'm not super hopeful about our future rn i don't know if itl be fair to bring someone into this shit show.
reason why I wont have any kids. huge liability, and marriage looks like its dead. kids can be used as a weapon against you in court, and the prospect of women that are marriage material is dwindling.

I rather live a peaceful life.

A lot of people nowadays just don't want to have kids. Can be for several reasons.

Many of them will tell you its about the population, carbon footprint etc. which is true to an extent, but its also about the added work, stress and responsibility of raising a child. Pets are just easier. They aren't your kids but they are easier.

I'm on the fence myself about having kids. I'm not super hopeful about our future rn i don't know if itl be fair to bring someone into this shit show.
It’s been my experience that most of the people being ultra-vocal about not wanting kids are either younger, and/or have been in crummy relationships, to include relationships with their own parents.

When I was much younger, dating a bunch of dumbass chicks, I was pretty vocal about not wanting kids. Then I met an AWESOME woman who subsequently became my Wife. I knew I wanted to have children with this woman! Thankfully, all our children have been planned.

As for the pets thing, it is getting pretty annoying and disgusting. I see people people putting their dirty dogs in shopping carts where I put my food. People love bringing them to restaurants for some stupid reason. And, yes, people are now calling them “doggos” as in “kiddos”, and calling themselves “pet parents”, or something uber-retarded like that.

I truly feel sorry for the person inside the vehicle with these stickers...
HTB1I6pmRFXXXXcZaFXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg

reason why I wont have any kids. huge liability, and marriage looks like its dead. kids can be used as a weapon against you in court, and the prospect of women that are marriage material is dwindling.

I rather live a peaceful life.
How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking?

It's weird saw one chick at the bank with a dog in a baby stroller and was getting pissed when ppl didn't treat it like royalty

Funny with these folks is you bring up misery of poverty, child hunger, war and they don't bat an eye. Sometimes say it's derserved, but when they hear of someone who yelled at their pet? The whole legion comes out to deliver "punishment"

Kids on leash, dog in stroller has always been a weird thing to me. Even with my dad who grew up with pets always saw pets as close animals, not a child. Dog sleeping in the same bed as you is weird to him, its still weird to me, but my gf is a huge dog lover so I'm seeing it more in person.

I'm neutral. Don't really give a shit what other people do with their lives/pets as long as it's not inhumane.

Animals are great.
And they need more supporters and love.
And, sure, your pet may add a lot more to your life than a random stranger or acquaintance.
And torturing and abusing animals (including a lot of factory farming techniques) is very wrong.
And the extinction of species is a horrific thing that isn't taken seriously enough.

All that said, people who treat their cat or dog like a child (and especially those who think others need to, too) are mental.

Your child carries your genes, your pet doesn't
Your child learns heavily what they need to do to survive from you, your pet doesn't
Your child grows and develops (mentally) enormously over their life, your pet doesn't
Your child will hopefully live a long, full live, even after you are gone, of 75 years or so. Your pet, maybe 10-15.
Your child understands and absorbs an enormous amount of what they are exposed to, your pet usually doesn't and usually doesn't give much of a crap.
Other people sometimes have allergies to pets, they don't have allergies to children.

Ask any parent "if there were a fire and you could only get your child or your pet" and see how long they need to think about it. Or "if you could definitely rescue one or a 50/50 chance of getting both, but if you fail you get neither".

Spoiling your pets is fine. Having some fun with them and being silly is fine. Thinking they're the same as children, no.

What does people having allergies to pets but not children have to do with anything? My dog understands my emotions and will endeavour to cheer me up. I don’t care if it’s not human, that goes along way with me.

Ease to raise .
Ease to please.
Easier to get rid of it when you get “stressed” by it which genuinely mean you get bored with the responsibility.

Almost no one considers their dogs/cats as actual children, do they?
Talking to your pet in 'baby' language is fine.

Because there's not a woman on earth foolish enough to bear my children obviously.

Give me a dog over a shitty diaper, snot nosed, crying ass little kid any day of the week. Gross.

Haha, just earlier I saw a vid on Facebook of a couple taking a Golden Retriever wearing clothes, and carrying it like a child into a mattress, resting its head on a pillow, and covering it with a blanket.

90% of comments were positive. OMG so adorable! That's the cutest thing!

Only a few sane people pointing out that it's a fucking dog and not a child. Most of these were non-Americans.

It's a middle-class, first world phenomenon for sure.

You're not a "dog mom", you're a pet owner. I made a post that "Mother's Day isn't for you!" it caused some butthurt.

Don't @ me!

https://www.k9sforwarriors.org/about-k9s-for-warriors
https://www.companionsforheroes.org...ing_wp_cron=1590819308.8092560768127441406250

Dogs have been used to great efficacy to treat veterans with PTSD. Some people here may have had the fortune of never having had trauma, but others are not so lucky, like the young men we send to war. In many cases, the animal has indeed saved its owner from blowing his brains out. Dogs have saved lives.
Agreed, but most of the people rocking these stickers haven’t been in combat. They’re a bunch of Karens who call their smelly-ass dogs “doggos”, and who probably buy peanut butter by the truck load.

Back