what is up with championships and instant rematches

Master7quick

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
champion contenders are supposed to bring a challenge to the table thats qhy they are there in the first ace but now it seems that everytime a fighter lises in a champion bout they get an instant rematch thats not rigjt the loser needs to climb again the reach such a stature not becaiae the.fight was close.

Word, let the fighters have a couple fights between the rematch so they can grow as fighters.

champion contenders are supposed to bring a challenge to the table thats qhy they are there in the first ace but now it seems that everytime a fighter lises in a champion bout they get an instant rematch thats not rigjt the loser needs to climb again the reach such a stature not becaiae the.fight was close.

$$$$$$

Other than Silva and lightweight I can't think of any other immediate rematches recently, although you're probably talking about everyone wanting a rematch between Jones and Gus.

This is the reason why

lots_and_lots_of_money_ashx.jpg

I pretty much agree. If a long-standing champion like Anderson or GSP loses a fight, I think an immediate rematch is justifiable. But if a challenger legitimately loses to the champion, there should never be an immediate rematch. The challenger had his chance and lost - there's no shame in that, but now it's time for someone else to get a shot. This trend of granting immediate rematches simply because a fight was close is ridiculous, in my opinion.

I pretty much agree. If a long-standing champion like Anderson or GSP loses a fight, I think an immediate rematch is justifiable. But if a challenger legitimately loses to the champion, there should never be an immediate rematch. The challenger had his chance and lost - there's no shame in that, but now it's time for someone else to get a shot. This trend of granting immediate rematches simply because a fight was close is ridiculous, in my opinion.

You said so yourself, how can you say BJ legitimately beat Frankie on the first or Machida beat Shogun legitimately on their first encounter. Or even now how can you really say Jones beat Gustafsson legitimately.

That's why they make rematches, because WE the fans ask for them.

Not too hard to understand is it? They're close matches therefore a rematch is justified.

You said so yourself, how can you say BJ legitimately beat Frankie on the first or Machida beat Shogun legitimately on their first encounter. Or even now how can you really say Jones beat Gustafsson legitimately.

That's why they make rematches, because WE the fans ask for them.

Frankie got the nod against BJ, undeserevedly so, so I'm not sure why you bring that fight up. Anyway, I said "legitimately" precisely for cases like Machida-Shogun, where a larger majority of people believe that the challenger won. In the case of Jones-Gus, the majority fans thought the champion won, all major media outlets thought the champion won, and fightmetric thought the champion won. There's no controversy. Jones legitimately won, even if a minority of people disagree. I'm not a Jones fan by any stretch of the imagination, but he legitimately won, so it's time for a new challenger to get a shot. Gus had his chance, now he should work his way back up to another shot.

Not too hard to understand is it? They're close matches therefore a rematch is justified.

a close match doesn't justify an immediate rematch.

A close match where the wrong guy won and it's blatantly obvious to everyone like Shogun and Machida or it's 50/50 like BJ and Frankie...OK, maybe.

But Jones vs Gus was just a close fight, nothing more. There is virtually no controversy whatsoever.

Back