What is UFC's thought process, re: this wknd's shows

DezWalker

MMA Stats geek
@Green
Reaction score
I'm just going over these two cards for a piece I'm working on and in looking at these two cards, you've got the Berlin show with two fights that are arguably stronger, bigger names anyways, than either of the last two main events in Mark Munoz/Gegard Moussasi and Francis Carmont/CB Dollaway. This show is airing exclusively on Fight Pass.

The Brazil show has the Miocic/Maldonado main event and then the two TUF final matches. That show has only aired on Fight Pass and in Brazil.

Would it not have made more sense to put the Berlin show on FS 1, even if they tape delayed it and then put the Brazil show on Fight Pass?

I guess maybe the answer is probably that this is like the fourth choice for the main event for this show but again that's probably a by-product of just two damn many shows. They could actually have put together a show like this on Saturday that I think would've done decent numbers on FS 1:

Gegard Moussasi vs Mark Munoz
Stipe Miocic vs Fabio Maldonado
Francis Carmont vs CB Dollaway
Demian Maia vs Alexander Yakoulev
Rony Jason vs Robbie Peralta
and the two TUF matches

Instead you've got five fights on FS 1 with 3, maybe 4 names that people recognize and apparently they are also running 4 prelims fights on FS 1 as well with two guys who are recognizable in Rodrigo Damm and Paulo Thiago.

smdh

You want to see the ufc berlin card more,and u already have fs1? answer you buy fightpass so that's the ufc plan.

Also the german show is for german fans to help grow the sport there and help build there European fan base,its not meant for the American consumer.

Also has to do with time zones, at least from the american point of view. Brazil card will air the normal payperview time were as the other is airing at 3:00 or earlier over here.

Also JDS was the original main event

The shows serve dual purposes---none of which have to do with ratings in the United States.

For the Germany card, they're giving you their standing once a month Fight Pass card. They're also staying true to their claim of 6 European events at the least for Fight Pass. It also apparently has something to do with the video game although I have no idea what the tie in is. It's a way to keep their face in Europe, appease some sponsors, potentially broker some new deals and make money.

For the Brazil card, this is pretty much all about Globo, combate and their presence in Brazil. Episodes of TUF Brazil season 3 did about 9 to 12 million viewers a week for a show that airs at midnight. You'd assume that with the exposure the finalists got, a portion of that should be able to carry over onto the finale in Brazil. That, by virtue, would lead to potentially 2-4 new stars for Brazil and etc etc etc. I doubt they're going to flip out over FS1 ratings for a show they have no expectations for. NOW if the show does ass in Brazil? That's a different story.

So yeah, they're holding two shows pretty much determined to do international business. Remember that the UFC in like 6-7 shows in Brazil made 100 million dollars which is similar to what they get on FOX for like 40 shows.

Edit: As for the idea of doing FS1 in Berlin and putting Brazil on Fight Pass? I'm sure Globo has a say in that sort of kind of. Also remember Fox is paying the UFC for live sports programming. I doubt they're going to air a tape delayed card from Germany when they can show a live card from Brazil. They also can't air the card in the states because they have a baseball game at 4.

I'm sure it was because Cigano was originally slated for the FS1 Brazil card.

But anyways... the correct answer, no matter which country, is watch one on local provider and stream other

All they have to do is rearrange the schedule and TV contracts for the events to screw over the local areas they are in. It's so easy.

Good answers and stuff that I had considered.

Bottom line is it's all about growing the global brand and there are more important things and domestic TV numbers.

There is something to making these Fight Pass cards more attractive as well. It's not 2012 or 2013 anymore when because a card was online, it wasn't important. If I didn't already have Fight Pass, I'd probably be ordering it to see the Germany show.

Le-Bisping is going to be another one of those shows that will likely entice people to buy. Probably a smarter strategy than blowing up your PPV model in one shot like WWE did and putting Wrestlemania on the network, hoping everyone would order it.

Just finished running my projections though and an FS 1 card starting at their usual time (8pm eastern) on Saturday with the Munoz, Dollaway, Miocic and Maia fights would be expected to do around 1.5 million viewers. The current card is SIGNIFICANTLY below that.

But, they'll make up for it with the Brazil ratings and the two big live gates as someone pointed out.

Just finished running my projections though and an FS 1 card starting at their usual time (8pm eastern) on Saturday with the Munoz, Dollaway, Miocic and Maia fights would be expected to do around 1.5 million viewers. The current card is SIGNIFICANTLY below that.

Seems significantly generous for Fox Sports 1 and the UFC in it's current quantity based model for programming.

Back