What is this piece of equipment?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by boooya777, Nov 2, 2005.

1. boooya777

boooya777 Guest

2. Zigga-Zagga

Zigga-Zagga Brown Belt

[​IMG]

The idea is that it's versatile and has many angles for striking, but mostly I've seen those involved in some Ding-Dong Kung-Fu TMA.

Can't really see why you can't do most of those angles with your usual boxing bags, and at least there is no point in buying such a wobbly thing just to get an angle more then from your usual boxing gym.

3. boooya777

boooya777 Guest

that is what i was thinking.

4. meng_mao

meng_mao this belt has flava

It's different from a bag in that you can't strike through a bag, whereas on this thing the pad will give way.

5. Guards

Guards Blue Belt

If you can't strike 'through' the bag, you aren't hitting hard enough. :D I'm a big fan of the Bas Rutten Mentality during bag drills. Hit that fucker with everything you've got, so the damn thing goes swinging like a pendulum by the time you finish your combo. I like practicing the 1-2 or just a Right Straight to stop the 100 lbs bag as it comes swinging back towards me, instead of slowing it with my hands.

6. Frederic

Frederic White Belt

When I took taekwondo, we had hand-held single versions of these. They're two leather wrapped paddles with a single handle that clap when you hit them fast (besides bending to the side). Great for precision and some what for determining the speed of your technique (faster and better centered = louder clap). Having them mounted saves on a partner although they're static for position and presentation (hand held ones can be presented and removed for timing).

The downside is that unlike a heavy bag or kick shield, it doesn't prepare the limb and body for the impact. The upside, besides targeting, is that you're more likely to be fast and relaxed instead of trying to power into it with more of a push than a strike.

Also, it's not good for Muay Thai-style shin kicks, side kicks, back kicks, and front kicks, etc. It is good for instep roundhouse, hook, heel, crescent, and axe kicks.

7. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

Nice.

I've seen these things before and I know my mum's TKD club uses the handheld pad things for practicing kicks when you're looking for accuracy and speed rather than power. Personally id rather use a set of thai pads and a decent training partner.

8. WatcH OuT

WatcH OuT Purple Belt

Those are pads mostly used in TKD training so this is only to workout your footwork !

9. Gregster

Gregster Black Belt

It's a focus target holder. The paddle-looking things are used in TKD to develop focus; if you hit it with the right amount of "snap", you're rewarded with a nice, gunshot-like smacking noise.

Worthless for Muay Thai, methinks, since I believe MT teaches you to plow through the target with your shin vs. focusing the impact with your instep.

10. TapSD

TapSD Killer Bee....1%

Looks like a cheap piece of shit

11. Jay M.

Jay M. Yellow Belt

In the OT until I get my orange belt and then I'll
    I think you would probably get just as good a workout with one of those standing inflatable punching dummies that fall over when you punch it and stand back up on their own. I think I had one with a clown face when I was like 6. Man, I was King Shit after punching that thing like 2 million times.

12. grapling101

grapling101 Brown Belt

It is used more for accuracy than anything. If you want to train to fight an octopus this is what you want to use.

13. meng_mao

If single shots from you can send a 100 lb bag swinging away, then props to you. Plus, the bag moves around, whereas these things stay in place after you strike through them.

14. Rudy Richter

Rudy Richter Amateur Fighter

Many people "push" a bag more than perform an effective "popping" strike that causes excessive bag swing.

15. meng_mao

Yeah, I know what pushing is. If people do that to get the bag to swing, then they're just cheating themselves.