What is this move?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Nulhacky, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Nulhacky

Nulhacky White Belt

What is it and does anybody use it? I picked it up from watching Nog use it in some fights and grappling videos but I've never seen it taught or explained. I know it's common to hook the arm from turtle and sprawl on it, but Nog sits through and does something different. I started using this technique and I like it. However, I haven't got it or tried it on any higher level or bigger guys. Nog seems to have success with it against opponents of all sizes. So does anyone use it, know someone who does, OR if you don't, why? What problems did you have with it? I know some techniques aren't for everybody, just curious why not?
    Here's a couple examples of Nog using it...

HTML:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgtk91BWK9s
    go to 1:49

HTML:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMhixMZr4jM
    go to 3:44

2. Macungah

Macungah Blue Belt

It's called a sit out. It's very effective against sprawls.

3. GodsDevil

GodsDevil Blue Belt

4. KahleyTriangles

KahleyTriangles Blue Belt

This. Its a great move. In the second video, Nog keeps the other guy from rolling/spinning around and by keeping his arm is able to finish a kimura.

You can also transition by then going to your knees and doing another sit out to take the back...

5. Darwinist

Darwinist Super Simian

The sit out is such a basic move. It was the first move from four quarters bottom that I was taught, even before turning the corner or sitting back to pull full guard.

It's a bit surprising we don't see more of it in MMA, but then again guys who sprawl usually either back out immediately or secure a front headlock, so...

6. kodokan

kodokan Purple Belt

This.
    It is a very fundemental move however it is not used nearly enough in MMA. What I mean is, it is very very effective against sprawls and Nog uses it to perfection, however he is one of few people who does it.

7. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

It's also a pretty useful movement for pulling (deep) half guard after getting sprawled on. I've started doing this lately after seeing Jeff Glover teach it, and I like it a lot.