What is the worst call by the ref you've seen?

FistofIce**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For me, I know that there have been plenty late stoppages that really seeminly happened because ref wanted to see if someone can really die via getting punched on the ground too many times, but two calls comes to mind that are not related to stoppage calls.

Herb Dean standing up Crocop beneath Gonzaga when he was getting his face elbowed back to Croatia, which eventually led to CC getting ktfo.

And I forget who it was, but when Nelson had Arlovski in side control and was working and got stood up, then ktfo by Arlovski. Looking at how their career panned out, it's pretty interesting, since Nelson seemingly can take whatever anybody in heavyweight division can throw at his chin, and hits as hard as anyone in heavyweight division when he can land the shot, with Arlovski's supposed glass chin.

For me, Arlovski really is underated, and I think, he really lost his edge when he got ktfo by Fedor, and don't think he really recovered from that.

Shamrock/Ortiz II was way early

Not that it really mattered

4.gif

Big John's call against Sakuraba in that early UFC tourney, stopping the fight when Saku was going for the takedown. This fight also represents the worst sportsmanship I've seen by a fighter in not accepting the referee's decision.

In the UFC, Matt Brown vs. Pete Sell was pretty bad.

wow, that's the worst for me. it's not as violent as the others because the fighter had enough wits about him to know the guy was out, but it really shows how terrible that ref is at making calls.

wow, that's the worst for me. it's not as violent as the others because the fighter had enough wits about him to know the guy was out, but it really shows how terrible that ref is at making calls.

Lol yeh. I keep that gif on hand for these discussions.

Whoever the fighter is on top. Fair play to him to have the awareness the guy was clean out and then the balls to basically tell the ref f*** off I'm not punching an unconscious man.

In the UFC, Matt Brown vs. Pete Sell was pretty bad.

Matt scored a vicious knockdown on sell and gets on top, Cecil peoples jumps on his back about to stop it then figures sell hasn't taken enough punishment and changes his fucking mind at the last second. That fight went WAY too long.

one that always got me was Cain vs rothwell. mazz probably had 3 previous chances to stop the fight. he picks when Cain lands 3 weak shots that Ben didn't bother defending because he was just worried about getting to his feet. awful stoppage

Somehow the ref's incompetence didn't end there. The round ended and he still didn't call the fight. He hovered for a few moments and it wasn't until the doctor came in and explained to him that the fighter couldn't continue that the fight had to be called.

Rusty at his finest. It really is among the worst reffing I've seen too.

Somehow the ref's incompetence didn't end there. The round ended and he still didn't call the fight. He hovered for a few moments and it wasn't until the doctor came in and explained to him that the fighter couldn't continue that the fight had to be called.

Rusty at his finest. It really is among the worst reffing I've seen too.

The PBP thread went nuts.

Back