What is the Ultimate Martial Arts?

Couldn't you say the other ones are "rulesets" as well?

Agree btw. with your choices!

Not really. Because they have a set system of techniques. Its a bit different.

Like sanda is also just a ruleset, but the style(s) are kung fu.

While muay thai is a style, but they also compete under a ruleset that are made for that style.

tumblr_ncc4nsNNPl1qedb29o1_400.gif
Gymnastics, the ultimate martial art. Pack it up boys, we have our answer.

The whole point of MMA is that there isn't one.

Combat Sambo is basically MMA, or amateur, with a existing coaching program (if you're lucky enough to have it in your area).

But training has evolved, there are lots of young people already training all aspects in 1 gym. It is a option to choose all aspects, the jack of all trades, trying to become the master of all.

But I think you need to have a strong base and a tangible goal, an example, to try to reach. Like Mighty Mouse. His coach is Matt Hume. A guy who rarely takes full-time students, but who knows the game inside out. So you'd need to find such a coach and a base style to specialize in. Because you can always fall back on your base and need to depend on your coach.

I tried that fucking horse once, many years ago. Only once. I regretted. Badly. Never fucking again.

I read this as you tried fucking a horse once and got a bit concerned. Especially as the rest of what you wrote makes sense in that context.

Reactions: HHJ
Not really. Because they have a set system of techniques. Its a bit different.

Like sanda is also just a ruleset, but the style(s) are kung fu.

While muay thai is a style, but they also compete under a ruleset that are made for that style.
Oh i understand, fair enough.

Judo is a highly effective MA for self defense. A basic throw onto concrete is going to stop most attackers. And the majority of fights that go beyond a coupe of punches end up with grabs and sloppy wrestling.
This. A sensible approach to hitting a person with a planet :).

And even in the octagon, when you have two "equivalent" wrestlers that can negate each others' takedonws, the one that knows judo has some neat takedowns from the clinch up his sleeve.

Judo is effective and a thing of beauty. I sometimes go on sprees watching high-level judo matches just for the sheer beauty of it.
Something like this, let them think Wrestling is the center of the World lol. Judo is an abyss more technical and effective, a REAL martial art. We can't even start comparing. A thing of beauty.

I would switch wrestling for judo without thinking.

Gymnastics, the ultimate martial art. Pack it up boys, we have our answer.

[dramatic movie trailer guy]: ...his only weapon? HIMSELF. And that's ALL he needs. Combine the discipline, the timing and the power of gymnastics with the explosive force of karate and a new, all powerful martial art is born... GYMKATA!!!

Tbf Pommel horse is very difficult to master. lol my dad (a gymnast) would have loved this scene hahaha

Was only half joking. As an adult, I took 6 months of gymnastics on top of grappling and conditioning training. Those guys are A+ level athletes. Basic skills on the pommel horse and mid-level stuff on the rings (iron cross arms parallel type) are untenable for most athletic guys unless you started as a kid or are just a crazy athlete. Even the basic floor exercise stuff you see guys like GSP doing is very very impressive for someone who didn't start as a kid.

Last edited:
One of my friends is an aikido instructor. He never tries to claim its the best style,he just likes it. I just cant get into what I hear about it. It goes against everything i learned in my martial arts studies which is sparring in your face wrestling,bending limbs and choking fuckers.

To them it seems like more a ritual and philosophy than a martial art

If Judo was easy (had no sparring), it would be called Aikido. :D

Wrestling shits on Judo
Wrestling is garbage close to Judo, a REAL martial art, hands down. So garbage that they almost ripped off Wrestling from Olympics years ago - and, to me, they should.

Have we seen the peak evolution of martial arts or could this art form be taken to a whole new level?

What is the best combination of styles for a solid base for aspiring MMA fighters that look for longevity?

It seems like the nature of MMA is so detrimental to a well abled body and yet the act of martial arts is to become strong and not injured. I always was curios to know what is the true ultimate martial arts that allows MMA fighters to be at the very top of the pinnacle of mastery?

I ask because Colby is the top contender because of his youth, drive, determination but his skillset doesn't seem to be that of a person who is considered a new wave of martial arts.

"I ask because Colby is the top contender because of his youth, drive, determination but his skillset doesn't seem to be that of a person who is considered a new wave of martial arts."

Why? Because he wears a MAGA hat?

I don't understand why you or anyone would think so. Colby Covington is a d1 All-American wrestler that converted his wrestling to MMA and obviously learned BJJ/Sub grappling and MMA grappling with a cage to a high level. On top of that his striking is pretty good, it's not bad. We just saw him out-strike Tyron Woodley, we've see him pour it on Lawler striking, and we've seen him go toe to toe with Usman in a very close fight for 4-5 rounds.

What more do you want? a prototype ideal lab experiment of a fighter? The guy was in interim champion and he just beat an all-time great WW champion, even if he was over the hill possibly, and had a 50/50 fight with the current dominant champion for 4/5 rounds. Obviously his game is pretty well rounded.

Athleticism, Cardio, Will, Heart, IQ play a large part as well. I'm just not sure why Covington is the poster-boy for your question. Wouldn't Khabib make much more sense? Even then Khabib has passable striking, he's knocked guys out and hurt them. His striking is decent. He obviously adapted his game to the cage and submission/MMA grappling, etc.

It's virtually impossible to become a master of all the arts. We've never seen it, GSP and Jon Jones have been the closest to doing it. Some would toss Fedor in there. It's way too early to tell on Chimaev but at first glance and speculation, could be him one day too. But that's just so rare, and still not theoretically possible.

What are the ultimate martial arts? Some form of: Wrestling, BJJ/sub-grappling, Boxing-Kickboxing-Muay Thai (Striking). Simple.

Well historically internal martial arts were considered pinnacle of unarmed fighting prowess. Unfortunately true practitioners are very rare because of persecution and reluctance of masters to train true forms except to a select few. In the west especially a lot of that stuff was never understood and exploited which gives them their bad rep.

Are you referring to martial arts that claim to use "chi" or "Qi" energy?

Have we seen the peak evolution of martial arts or could this art form be taken to a whole new level?

What is the best combination of styles for a solid base for aspiring MMA fighters that look for longevity?

It seems like the nature of MMA is so detrimental to a well abled body and yet the act of martial arts is to become strong and not injured. I always was curios to know what is the true ultimate martial arts that allows MMA fighters to be at the very top of the pinnacle of mastery?

I ask because Colby is the top contender because of his youth, drive, determination but his skillset doesn't seem to be that of a person who is considered a new wave of martial arts.
There is no such thing. That is something people should learn from MMA. Sometimes a wrestler dominates, sometimes it's a MT fighter, sometimes BJJ guy, boxer...etc. It's always about the individual fighter. Who train the hardest, who wants it more, who has the fight IQ, the cardio... And that's the beauty of MMA.. Remember, most of the MMA fighters would get embarrassed if they would compete solely in their own specific MA.

Back