What is the scariest video game of all time?

I don't know the first time I saw some cacodemons, archviles, mancubus and then motherfucking cyberdemons and spiderqueen I shat bricks.

More just because they'd just kick your ass though. Doom 3, as cheap as it was, was pretty scary though. The whole "closet monster" game play worked well, in just scaring the piss out of you. Precursor to Five Night's At Freddy's type of game play. Boo scares might be cheap, but they work.

A lot of mentions for Silent Hill. Those were definitely creepy games. The first one I played was Silent Hill 2. Good horror atmosphere and depressing story. I loved when the sirens when off and the setting changed.

Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly.

Never did beat it. Too scary.

Silent hill 1,2,3, silent hill origins, silent hill 4 the room

I don't think Silent Hill 2 will ever be topped, and a lot of that has to do with the soundtrack composed by Akira Yamaoka. It was so poignant. You can make a good horror game, but if there's no ambiance, it will never compete with Silent Hill.

Original Silent Hill was by far the worst for a long time, then I had to go and play Alien Isolation!

Eternal Darkness
Dead Space
Prey
Silent Hill

One that had some pretty good tense moments and is a VERY underrated game all around is Alan Wake.

Silent Hill 2
Siren
Resident Evil 2

1) Amnesia and PT are by far the scariest
2) Silent Hill 1-2
Honorable Mention: Resident Evils 1-3 as a child

Resident Evil used to scare the shit out of me, that creaking door sound goddamn. Of course it didn't help that I played it in pitch dark completely covered in a blanket.

Condemned was pretty good.

Silent Hill probably one of the scariest.

Resident Evil 1 for the Saturn was the first horror game that I played, I was about ten at the time. I was never able to kill the zombie in the first room and I never made it past the dog window.

Bioshock was frightening at the beginning, with the crazy elevator lady and the doctor standing behind you.

There is also this crude little "guide the square through mazes until a scary bitch pops up on the screen" game that had me jumping out of my seat, screaming very loudly and darting to the end of my then bedroom. I had been hit by a faux colour blind test game before, but this one had me two inches away from the screen and my earphones on full blast as I had been listening to metal before.

Oh and Condemned is massively underrated. The combat was unique and impressive and the dude in the locker is an all time great scare in horror.

The single moment in gaming that really ruined my shit was from this old Sega CD FMV game called Ground Zero Texas. At a certain point if you lose it cuts to this dude being dragged off by aliens. And he's screaming, begging them not to eat him. I loved the game but I could never play it again after that. I threw it away

The first major scare for me was this shit called 'It Came From The Desert' on Amiga. I was like 6 or 7 and I didn't understand shit that was going on, but then suddenly you're thrown into this shit

it-came-from-the-desert-656.jpg

I haven't really played many games that are per say scary to me. But...the two most stressful games i've ever played hands down, are Dead Space 1 & Outlast. I've never wanted to finish a game as badly & quickly as I did Outlast. Dead Space pissed me off soooooooooooo bad at times. The frustration was almost unbearable at times, lol. Surprised I didn't quit, really. Only one part in Dead Space scared me(was early on, like the first creature that falls out of the ceiling).

Then with Outlast...

When the Wallrider ghost dude is chasing you underground had me shitting... I had chills each time I did it(each time because I would die). Ugh. What a frustrating ending too, haha. Whoever made that game is a real prick.

Also, the big motherfucker was pretty frightening in the beginning too. He wasn't so scary after I figured out the trick to avoid him though.

In conclusion, scariest game i've played:

latest

Resident Evil 2.
When you beat the game, as either Claire or Leon, you put in the second disc and play 'Scenario B'. The tyrant Mr. X is dropped down by helicoptor and is one scary mofo that appears randomly.

Back