What is the scariest video game of all time?

I love the first two Silent Hill games myself, but I think they're easier than say the first two Resident Evil games, and for me that's what makes the difference. Not having a whole lot of health and ammo really makes you dread what's coming up next. While Silent Hill definitely had the edge in psychological horror, Resident Evil really made me on edge wondering when the next giant creature was going to come out of nowhere when all I add left was one shotgun shell, half a clip of pistol ammo, and I was already on Caution health with no herbs in sight.
They're both great in their own right and for different reasons. But when it comes to pure fear, I give SH the nod. I do believe though that Resident Evil is the better overall experience. One of my fondest gaming memories is being in the Police Station garage, no ammo, no health, limping around as Leon trying to stay alive.

Amnesia. I'm sure that you all remember the PewDiePie video which is what made me try the game.

Honorable mention: The Fatal Frame series.

Resident Evil 2 was the first horror game I ever played as a kid. Scared the shit out of me.

Same here. I had an N64 before picking up a PS1 and I almost fell out of my chair the first time that a dog jumped through a window. It was all downhill from there.

Last edited:
Not necessarily scary, but disturbing. Harvester and Phantasmagoria.

2361679-nes_drjekyllandmrhyde.jpg

For the time, yeah, the AI was on another level than most games. Won't be too noticeable today though. The sound is really great too.

Good game, that deserved far better sequels than what we got.

Won't be noticeable today? Name one game with better ai cause I can't think of any

For me, it's the original Resident Evil. While many of its sequels are great games as well, the first one always stands out for me.

I remember playing RE1 for the first time in 1996 at a friend's (I didn't have a PS1) in his parents basement at all hours of the night as an 11-year-old kid and it freaked me the hell out. The first zombie encounter when he turns to look at you while chewing on that dude, zombie dogs jumping through windows, the giant snake, the first hunter encounter, when Tyrant bursts through the floor, the list goes on.

I had an N64 at that time, and because of that one game, I wanted a PS1. I never got one, but later on in life I had the GameCube, and I got to own the Resident Evil remake which was also amazing. The freaky bitch in chains they added that just wouldn't die made me quiver every time she lumbered towards me.

So what do you think the scariest game is, and why?

Excellent Choice... I also vividly remember the first 30 minutes of this game scaring the crap out of me. I had to put down the controller and play the next day during the day.

The chainsaw dudes in RE5 were terrifying. Soon as you hear that motor you're like fuuuuuuuu.........

Alien Isolation had me at the edge from start to finish.

BECAUSE THAT FUCKING ALIEN IS RANDOM!

alienisolation4.0.jpg

Before this Fear 1 took top spot for me. And then they ruined it with sequels that failed to understand what made the first one so great.

fear1_3.jpg

Came to say F.E.A.R as well.

I have played every game mentioned so far and enjoyed most of them. Some are close. But FEAR with the light turned down and sound up was awesome the first time you play it.

Shame they fucked the sequels up so bad George Lucas style.

Love horror games, and there's quite a few good ones. I'd have to say Dead Space. That game is legit scary. You're alone fighting super fucking creepy looking monsters, often in near darkness. And when you do see another human they're completely insane, or in the process of committing suicide.

I've never considered the Resident Evil series truly scary because they rely heavily on weak ass gameplay to provide tension. Shitty controls plus very limited ammo and weapons, its an artificial scare.

has to be the first 2 fatal frames for me. the atmosphere and cutscenes are what make it what it is. plus all you have to defend yourself with is some damn camera

Very few games equal the suspense of playing throught RE3 on Hard for the first time.

P.T. and its not even close. Honorable mention to Evil Within because those Boxhead dudes were menacing as fuck.

Maybe some of you who played FEAR remember this. The part where you climb up the stairs and suddenly Alice appears infront of you, that made me scream in such a high pitched voice i never thought i was capable of screaming.

Excellent Choice... I also vividly remember the first 30 minutes of this game scaring the crap out of me. I had to put down the controller and play the next day during the day.

The image of that zombie turning his head is forever burned in my memory. I remember being like "Holy fuck."

Back