What is the scariest video game of all time?

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by the muntjac, Feb 10, 2016.

1. the muntjac

the muntjac Black Belt

The middle ground between light and shadow
    For me, it's the original Resident Evil. While many of its sequels are great games as well, the first one always stands out for me.

I remember playing RE1 for the first time in 1996 at a friend's (I didn't have a PS1) in his parents basement at all hours of the night as an 11-year-old kid and it freaked me the hell out. The first zombie encounter when he turns to look at you while chewing on that dude, zombie dogs jumping through windows, the giant snake, the first hunter encounter, when Tyrant bursts through the floor, the list goes on.

I had an N64 at that time, and because of that one game, I wanted a PS1. I never got one, but later on in life I had the GameCube, and I got to own the Resident Evil remake which was also amazing. The freaky bitch in chains they added that just wouldn't die made me quiver every time she lumbered towards me.

So what do you think the scariest game is, and why?

Scerpi likes this.
  2. NastyNinja

NastyNinja Orange Belt

Funny because I had some what of an equal experience...I was a little older and we played that game with out a memory card lol ...so that first zombie fucked us and the controls being so terrible It got me every time! Playing RE1 without a memory card means u die on the snake and learn nothing because the internet wasn't around....RE1 holds a very special place with me because of poor kid restraint.

Crimson Butterfly and the very first 15 mins of the game where u slide open a door.... Turned my game boner into a "ill check this shit out later"

the muntjac likes this.
  3. Jermei

Jermei Steel Belt Platinum Member

RE1 was a scary game, but the game that made me jump was Bioshock, the dentist scene and the lady in the washroom..

In Bioshock 2 there's also a door you open and someone kicks a can in your face. I beat the game 3x and it got me every time.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Max Power likes this.
  4. TheHigherPower

TheHigherPower Corporate Ministry Belt

5. Damage

Damage ~~~~~~~~~~~

Playing as a marine in Alien vs Predator.

6. Cry0Therapy737

Cry0Therapy737 Brown Belt

Scariest for me was when I was playing Resident Evil 5.

I just went into the marsh lands full speed and next thing I know a crocodile which I have a pretty serious fear of jumped up and ate me. Didn't play it for about six months.

Mike likes this.
  7. Dizzy

Dizzy \[T]/ Platinum Member

PT for me.

8. TheWorm

TheWorm Red Belt

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth has some pretty scary moments. In particular, when the town folk come to get you in your hotel and you have to try to escape them.

9. BVG

BVG Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Alien Isolation had me at the edge from start to finish.

BECAUSE THAT FUCKING ALIEN IS RANDOM!

[​IMG]

Before this Fear 1 took top spot for me. And then they ruined it with sequels that failed to understand what made the first one so great.

[​IMG]

10. WalkenWouldOwn

WalkenWouldOwn Steel Belt

Im not big into horror games so I have not played many. But playing RE2 was an experience like no other, I was like 14 years old and would play with my brother and a friend all the time, scary shit playing that at night. You never knew what was around the next corner, ammo and healing was always very scarce..... great game.

hughesfan20 and the muntjac like this.
  11. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

Silent hill. The camera angles and the wonky controls made a good terrifying combination.

deviake and badascan like this.
  12. Smigg

Smigg Silver Belt

The only time I've ever been actively scared by a game with The Suffering.

Mainly because I was playing surround sound, with the volume way up, in the dark. Shit jumps out at you, things just flash on the screen, it was a fucking incredible game.

Cptn1NSAN0 likes this.
  13. HereticBD

HereticBD Steel Belt

Nothing has made me want to stop playing a game like Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Those goddamned hobos.

14. Tank_Kam

Tank_Kam Purple Belt

Resident Evil 2 was the first horror game I ever played as a kid. Scared the shit out of me.

TheWorm, hughesfan20 and the muntjac like this.
  15. RJ43

RJ43 The Baddy

PT by a landslide for me. I love horror games, but none of them every actually scared me or even added much tension to be honest. PT was something totally different because it was such a mystery. With RE you get some jump scares etc...but you know you are going to be faced with creatures and you will kill them.

With PT you had no fucking clue what was going on, nor what would prompt it.

16. the muntjac

the muntjac Black Belt

Is that the one where you're a prisoner escaping jail or something like that? If it is, I vaguely remember that one, but I recall liking it at least.

17. HereticBD

HereticBD Steel Belt

Yeah, they made two of them I believe. I think the sequel sold terribly though, so that was the end of that. Underrated games.

the muntjac likes this.
  18. the muntjac

the muntjac Black Belt

I finished Alien Isolation on hard a couple months ago, and I almost didn't finish it. Not because it was scaring me so bad, but because that alien kept kicking my ass at one point. But man, that game is intense. They really nailed the high tension factor in that game. I recommend it to anybody.

I never played FEAR, but I've always heard it was a good game. The AI is apparently pretty smart in that game from what I understand.

19. the muntjac

the muntjac Black Belt

Pardon my ignorance, but what is PT?

20. HereticBD

HereticBD Steel Belt

For the time, yeah, the AI was on another level than most games. Won't be too noticeable today though. The sound is really great too.

Good game, that deserved far better sequels than what we got.