what is the point in training in bjj if you never progress in 11 years in training

have you guys ever kicked anyone out of the gym before? Just wondering what you consider causing problems.

I can remember off the top of my head one student at a school I trained at who got the boot for leg locking brand new white belts.

Nah. I never had to kick someone out.

But I have really small number of students and a good retention of students.

I think it is when the gym is massive with lot of people, that you end kicking people out because you cannot or address the issues right at the beginning.

By then. It is too late etc....

Nah. I never had to kick someone out.

But I have really small number of students and a good retention of students.

I think it is when the gym is massive with lot of people, that you end kicking people out because you cannot or address the issues right at the beginning.

By then. It is too late etc....

That’s pretty cool, sounds like you got a good group of students. Lots of ego in martial arts and it always seems to cause problems lol

That’s pretty cool, sounds like you got a good group of students. Lots of ego in martial arts and it always seems to cause problems lol

Yep. I had my share of big ego students.

There is a couple of things that keep me sane.

I don't take myself too seriously but I take my jiu jitsu very seriously.

The second one

I will never master jiu jitsu but jiu jitsu master me just like a naughty mistress.

have you guys ever kicked anyone out of the gym before? Just wondering what you consider causing problems.

I can remember off the top of my head one student at a school I trained at who got the boot for leg locking brand new white belts.

White belts should be ankle locked............. not viciously but they should be taught it.

This thread has taken an interesting turn.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

White belts should be ankle locked............. not viciously but they should be taught it.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

I’m not talking ankle locks. Dude was legit grabbing heel hooks, toe holds, kneebahs, and being a dick about it.

I’m not talking ankle locks. Dude was legit grabbing heel hooks, toe holds, kneebahs, and being a dick about it.
Was funny visiting the nogi class at our gym (the main coach there is fat and his classes suck) to encounter noobs that the only thing they knew how to do was to avoid heel exposure.

If it's a clear team rule, yeah kick the guy out.

At my gym it's pretty clear only straight ankle lock on white belts (gi or nogi) blue belts and up everything goes (even heel hooks in the gi)

That seems super weird.

I never do them in the gi because I don't want to rely on it and get disqualified in competition.

We were a big step back in leg locks about 3 years ago and the coach wanted us to get fast at the head of the parade in leg locks. I think that with 3/4 of classes being in gi there was not enough time to get good at leg locks for blue belts and up.

Right now, I would say that about 10 guys use heel hooks in the gi. We know who they are and they are very advanced and do it with the utmost control of the position. In the last 3 years nobody got injured from a heel hook only one guy hurt himself while trying to power out of a knee reap

So that u can learn this

2 things

Bad coaching assuming you have trained regularly

Or

Lack of talent ,assuming you have trained regularly

If first one change gyms

If second one then nothing you can do really

ive been a 0 stripe white belt for 11 years. at what point do you just give up
Should be done it many years ago, if you have even 0 stripe on white belt.

There's always barber college.
Actually far better investment for long term.

even if the athlete is absolutely terrible it would be the norm for him to be purple belt by that point.
God knows.

If your athlete is training regularly for 11 years and his hasn't made any progress it's not a good indication of your coaching.
Yes, " coaching " not coaching.
New student turned up for nogi.
He claimed that he jas a couple of years of training .
55 year old Brown belt decided to roll with new guy.
New guy goes pretty hard.
I mean what kind of retarded goes hard with old training partner.

Some advanced students took offense to it and ask for a roll after and tapped him five time in five minutes.
Nah, retards does have power only in their gym.
If he is dangerous for guys in gym, better is to kick out ASAP.

Bad coaching assuming you have trained regularly

Or

Lack of talent ,assuming you have trained regularly

If first one change gyms

If second one then nothing you can do really
Yes, and most likely choose another way how to spend free from job time and especially $.
0 worth to continue spend $ in this gym.

With 11 years in no gi always is enough to get at least 1 stripe white belt for a gi.

Just here to compliment your coach, if in fact this is legit (which I question). It takes some serious guts to not even give a guy a bluebelt if he's been training for 11 years, yet the coach feels the athlete isn't ready for the next belt - even if the athlete is absolutely terrible it would be the norm for him to be purple belt by that point. Stick with that guy...and maybe start talking to him about how to make progress.
i was about to get my blue belt had to switch gyms so i ripped off all the stripes.

Back