what is the point in training in bjj if you never progress in 11 years in training

the coach said he cant give promotions cuz hes a a new purple belt
That’s bullshit. Purples can and do promote up to blue.

progress is how you roll - not how many pieces of tape you have or the cotton around your waist.

pleawe tell me you are trolling

progress is how you roll - not how many pieces of tape you have or the cotton around your waist.

depends on the purple

i did sambo for years and they didnt have any grading system. bjj and judo do and u have to spend 50 dollars

So is your status as a no stripe white simply because you don’t pay? If that is the case, go to another school, tell them your last school didn’t grade you then ask the professor what level you are

Who cares about belt. As long as you learn and progress and don't get injured.

im sort of trolling i can beat blue belts now that i have sambo but its dumb we have to pay money for belts

So is your status as a no stripe white simply because you don’t pay? If that is the case, go to another school, tell them your last school didn’t grade you then ask the professor what level you are
cant for geo reasons but i cant compete at white belt either

cant for geo reasons but i cant compete at white belt either
So that's a pretty silly situation. You need to sit down with your coach and have a serious conversation - I assume SOMEONE, at SOME point in your gym has gotten a promotion in the last 11 years. Something is fishy here and I'm sure that if you sit down and explain the situation you can both come to a solution that allows you to be promoted to blue after 11 years and (from what it sounds) rolling like a competitive purple belt.

Or, he could just plain hate you and have no desire to reward whatever it is he hates about you. No joke, I've seen that happen before too.

this makes no sense. 11 years and still a no stripe white belt. Either you're being sand bagged, or you just fricking sucks. If you just suck, then just quit. Obviously Jiu-Jitsu isn't for you. Just quit if you suck ass.

I didn't get a stripe for the first three years of my training, simply because we didn't have a black belt at my gym to give them out at that point and no affiliates and the coach didn't feel comfortable grading people. It was fun going to open mats at other gyms and giving higher belts hell as a no stripe white belt, though.

I tried bjj around the same time you started and quit after about 3 weeks. Every 'class' consisted of nothing but rolling and because I was a big dude(6'5" 195lbs) I was always paired with purple belts or on 2 or 3 occasions an experienced blue. There were no drills or techniques shown, just rolling with more experienced guys that only tapped you out as often as possible for the entire 'class'. I learned absolutely nothing. Not sure if that's just normal rookie hazing or if I was at a shit gym.

every bjj gym I’ve ever been to hazes/tests new guys. Either you take it and slowly start to fit in, or you get ignored until you quit or are asked to leave.

every bjj gym I’ve ever been to hazes/tests new guys. Either you take it and slowly start to fit in, or you get ignored until you quit or are asked to leave.

I think the point he was making was that the so called class was just sparring and they did not teach a single technique which seems strange .

I had a really spazzy newbie who was really big and could potentially injure others..

I basically had to roll with him and match him up with experienced students for the safety of others .

Eventually, I explained to him the reason why I had to do that.

I am glad that he understood and he is now really calmer when he rolls and I can let roll with the other smaller newbies .

I think the point he was making was that the so called class was just sparring and they did not teach a single technique which seems strange .

I had a really spazzy newbie who was really big and could potentially injure others..

I basically had to roll with him and match him up with experienced students for the safety of others .

Eventually, I explained to him the reason why I had to do that.

I am glad that he understood and he is now really calmer when he rolls and I can let roll with the other smaller newbies .

he probably just dropped in for open mat classes without realizing it. I’ve never seen a bjj gym have an actual class where nothing was taught, just rolling.

But my point on hazing still stands. I trained bjj for eight years and every club I went to hazed/tested new guys to see if they’d fit in or not.

he probably just dropped in for open mat classes without realizing it. I’ve never seen a bjj gym have an actual class where nothing was taught, just rolling.

But my point on hazing still stands. I trained bjj for eight years and every club I went to hazed/tested new guys to see if they’d fit in or not.

That is actually a good point because something just happened during my class this week that I was only made aware after.

New student turned up for nogi.
He claimed that he jas a couple of years of training .
55 year old Brown belt decided to roll with new guy.
New guy goes pretty hard.
I mean what kind of retarded goes hard with old training partner.

Some advanced students took offense to it and ask for a roll after and tapped him five time in five minutes.

Was it hazing? Was it wrong?
Are we guilty of being cultist?

That is actually a good point because something just happened during my class this week that I was only made aware after.

New student turned up for nogi.
He claimed that he jas a couple of years of training .
55 year old Brown belt decided to roll with new guy.
New guy goes pretty hard.
I mean what kind of retarded goes hard with old training partner.

Some advanced students took offense to it and ask for a roll after and tapped him five time in five minutes.

Was it hazing? Was it wrong?
Are we guilty of being cultist?

Maybe the old man needs to be at blue where his level is at.

Maybe the old man needs to be at blue where his level is at.
Are you suggesting we start demoting people as they get older?

But that is not really the question.
It is my choice of what ever belt color he can wear on the mats .

The question was the reaction that younger member of the club against outsiders bullying an older member of the pack .

Hazing??

Are you suggesting we start demoting people as they get older?

But that is not really the question.
It is my choice of what ever belt color he can wear on the mats .

The question was the reaction that younger member of the club against outsiders bullying an older member of the pack .

Hazing??

I'm suggesting that ONLY people that have reached black belt level in their lives, EVER, get a black belt. Some of these dudes, I'd like to see them submit a single other black belt. Like ever in their lives. Can I get footage so I know its not a paid promotion or an affiliation deal? I want to know that the black belts are black belt level.

Back