What is the moon? A star or a planet?

Public schools in an upper middle class area in suburban MI. None of my kids heard the words 'natural selection' or even 'evolution' before the 7th grade. They tip toe around to avoid any complaints. American science is falling behind because of it. I went off on a tangent, but believe me, this divisive America we have now whet everybody is so far one way politically or the other that either half of everybody is delusional on an issue, or everybody is, well I believed it may have been planned for us.

All orbits are center of mass but there is a bit of a lag due to apogee and perogee. The center of mass is shifting as the distance opens and closes.

On elongation of the orbit velocity of when a capture took place should be a factor. Maybe the moon moved in slowly do to some other gravitation force slowing the capture rate. :)

Interesting. I don't know too much about this stuff, and have just recently become curious enough about it to start reading articles to get a better grasp. Thanks for the response.

Issac was trolling. That dude kills at jeopardy and is really smart.

A miserable little pile of secrets.

A miserable little pile of secrets.

enough talk. have @ u

toonvectors-5375-940.jpg

It's a comet that gave up.

I don't even understand how some people can't be utterly embarrassed by their stupidity.

They're too stupid to know they're stupid. That and the Dunning-Kruger effect.

I'm curious to find out how out of date my knowledge on the subject is. (Just like how off I was on birds and dinosaurs).

Last I checked the moon was formed when a giant meteor smashed into the earth. The gooey center of the Earth spit out a blob that cooled and formed the moon. I'm sure there was a bunch of scatter debris that that coalesced in to each body as well. Lastly I can add is that the moon is still slowly moving away from the Earth.

I'm now going to Google this. I'll be curious to find out how off I am with my 30 year old knowledge. Not that I'm 30, but the last time I read or learned anything about the moon was 30 years ago.

Thought this would be an old and lame Moon Moon thread.

Back