What is the Judo equivalent of a bjj blue belt.

sorry but bjj is a joke, I recently joined a bjj club and within the first month as a white belt i was tapping out bjj purple and brown belts.

BJJ purple and brown belts are at about a bjj white belt level.

You get your BJJ blue in, what, 2-3 years of training? That's be like a blue in judo too - but depends on the individual scenario.

You can get a judo black in 3-4 years in Japan - but the black belt in japan has a different significance.

and in korea also. I don't think "different significance" is the correct term. I think that judokas outside of japan/korea have a skewed view of what a judo black belt is supposed to do. Quite simply, japan/korea has is right (originally) and the rest of the world is quite frankly wrong.

Sarcasm and cynicism on the intrawebs doesn't go very far with you, does it?

and... lol no

If you're saying that you do NOT play around with judo brown belts because they thrash you standing up then okay, I can accept that.

I'm not even a bjj blue belt , but i play around with different judo brown belts
and i also dominate several other white belts that have won from judo black belts in tournaments.

So i'm sorry but apart maybe from takedowns i cant take judo seriously and i would compare a bjj bluebelt to like a xth degree judo blackbelt.

:icon_chee

yeah I'm not reading the sarcasm here. Sounds like you're serious about how you "play around" with browns and "dominate" people who have beaten Judo BBs.

If you're saying that you do NOT play around with judo brown belts because they thrash you standing up then okay, I can accept that.

I'm saying thats its baseless to try to make comparisons on belts based on who can beat who whether it be bjj vs judo, bjj vs bjj or judo vs judo.

As for ethugging it personally against my grappling skills...... lol they do not thrash me because you're frankly just coming to conclusions lol........

I'm not even a bjj blue belt , but i play around with different judo brown belts
and i also dominate several other white belts that have won from judo black belts in tournaments.

So i'm sorry but apart maybe from takedowns i cant take judo seriously and i would compare a bjj bluebelt to like a xth degree judo blackbelt.

2867253326_792146d6e7.jpg

this type of thinking typically leads to doctor visits.

Noting that the thread was about judo and BJJ in general and specifically not just on ground work (in fact the starter specifically said what belt in judo suggests the same relative progress as a blue in BJJ, which means mainly throwing since that's judo's focus), I gather that not only do you regularly throw around judo brown belts, but your opinion is that a typical BJJ blue belt has better throws than high level judo competitors. Which tells us all we need to know about your knowledge of both judo and BJJ :icon_chee

Perhaps you should train a bit in either or maybe both before expressing opinions ... it'll explain why for instance Roger Gracie cross trains judo at the Budokan in London to learn throwing, instead of following your advice and looking for a BJJ blue belt to teach him how to throw. :icon_lol:

Last edited:
lol

Ok i DO look down on judo and kung fu and question their effectiveness very much.

I only remember rolling with bjj guys with judo background ( brown belts) and to be honoust they all sucked big time.

It's true that i never had the experience of beeing takin down by a judo guy and since i read here that judo's all about the throws , ill respect that part of judo.

I'll assume judo guys their takedowns would be better than bjj practisioners'

, but than again if a judo brown belt takes down a bjj bluebelt imo hell still get raped on the ground.

Hey don't get mad , just giving my opinion , no sarcasm.:icon_chee

Osu!

Judoguido said that a black belt in Japan takes 3-4 years but at the Kodokan they clearly have a one year program to get a black belt. That also matches what I have heard from two friends of mine who are Japanese Judoka. So... maybe there are some gyms out there that take themselves so seriously that it would take 3-4 years but I doubt that is the norm. In Korean and Japan a black belt just says that you understand the basics of the style.

It all depends on the individual and his /her knowledge of the stand up techniques.
The problem is that most BJJ schools almost don't teach any nage-waza and in Judo, you start up standing. Pulling guard is not a option. So, depending on how good you are while standing you would probably start as a white belt. However, you should be able to move on faster than usual in rankings. The same goes for a judoka starting in BJJ.

Back