What is the IDEAL SIZE for a fighter? (and the square cube law)

EGarrett

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
CLIFFS: Given that humans get slower and have health problems as they get larger, what do you think is the IDEAL height and weight for a fighter? Evidence from any other sport is welcome.

Long version:

Okay, so I just read some basic information about the square-cube law, which (from what I see) states that as an animal's size increases, it's muscular strength goes up by x2 (squared), while its mass increases by x3 (cubed). So, basically, this explains why ants can lift 40-times their body weight, and why giant creatures have trouble supporting even their own body weight (which is why its much easier for huge animals to evolve and thrive in the ocean). Furthermore, people tend to have health problems once they get beyond a certain size.

So with that in mind, what is the actual ideal body-size for a human fighter?

We all know that guys in the extreme range who don't suffer from acromegaly, such as Stefan Struve (6'11" 260) and Semy Schilt (6'11" 290), have had some decent success in MMA, but hardly dominated.

But is this because they simply don't have the right athleticism? The NBA has shown us some incredibly large men with extreme physical gifts. Wilt Chamberlain was 7'1" and roughly 275 pounds and capable of some amazing athletic feats (he also wanted to fight Muhammad Ali). Shaq was 7'1" 300 (or more) and also toyed with fighting MMA, in his prime he was incredibly strong.

Would these men have been able to dominate with very little training? Nikolai Valuev won 2 heavyweight titles at 7-feet tall and 300 pounds (though I haven't seen much boxing).

Perhaps instead we can look at the NFL and wrestling. Alexander Karelin and Brock Lesnar, possibly the two most physically-gifted wrestlers who competed on a public stage, were both actually close to the same size. Karelin was around 6'3"-6'4" and wrestled at 286 pounds, Lesnar was 6'3" and roughly 290 during his training before cutting. Karelin was known to dominate men who were actually taller and heavier.

Lawrence Taylor and Dick Butkus, two of the greatest linebackers ever in the NFL, were both roughly 6'3" and 240 pounds.

So could 6'3" be the ideal height for a combat sportsmen? What's the best weight? Or is there just not enough of a sample size to see what giants could really do?

It's funny how you put Brock Lesnar and the greatest wrestler of all time Alexander Karelin in the same cathegory. Karelin was MUCH stronger than Brock ever was. If you should compare Karelin to anybody, it should be to Mijain Lopez, the 6'5 cuban 285 lbs cuban. Karelin was walking around heavier than 286, he was over 300 lbs while not competing.

Is funny that in easter Europe there are some heavy guys that are my size like Gadisov or Illiadis both 1,78 and dominate in Judo or Wrestling, if you´re smaller but powerful you can do it ---

Sorry re bum this old thread but is fun :redface:

14dqdya.jpg

I think the perfect fighter is whoever can control the dragons. So a Targaryen, but the issue with them is all the inbreeding has left their families mental faculties pretty decimated....

I have been really into Game of Thrones lately.

Id say 6'3ish and around 230. Long arms, thick neck and chin.

I think your body TYPE has a lot to do with it. Bones and Anderson are at a big advantage by having long limbs to strike with. I think a lanky body type helps in most sports in general. Michael Jordan, Kevin Durant, Randy Moss, and Megatron are names that pop up in my head with that lanky body type.

interesting thread ts.

i will definatley be checking up on this thread

I think your body TYPE has a lot to do with it. Bones and Anderson are at a big advantage by having long limbs to strike with. I think a lanky body type helps in most sports in general. Michael Jordan, Kevin Durant, Randy Moss, and Megatron are names that pop up in my head with that lanky body type.

i disagree.

i think the best body type in mma would be average height for the division while being semi stocky. with most of the extra weight being in the lower half of the body.

basically medium. not to tall and not to short. not too lanky and not too bulky.

gsp,bendo,aldo are 3 good examples

If they can make the weight who cares how big or how tall they are.

i disagree.

i think the best body type in mma would be average height for the division while being semi stocky. with most of the extra weight being in the lower half of the body.

basically medium. not to tall and not to short. not too lanky and not too bulky.

gsp,bendo,aldo are 3 good examples

well it doesn't mean everyone has to be lanky, but it helps a lot. GSP and Aldo both have really long legs, so I would call them more lanky than bulky. But in the end, it is all about how you use the body type you are given.

I'd go with 6'2", around 205 walking pounds, with ability to bulk to solid LHW or lean out and cut to 170. Somewhere between Condit and Anderson physique, not the Rumble "dehydrated bodybuilder" look. Sounds like a solid physical base to me. Tall, but not too lanky, and with ability to favorably matchup well physically with anyone from WW to LHW, depending upon age and focus.

Fedor was what... 6, 6.1", and around 230-240... so i think that weight might be the best for humans currently, height is negotiable... probably anywhere between 6 - 6.6"

Anderson Silva's build is perfect for longevity

I'd go with 6'2", around 205 walking pounds, with ability to bulk to solid LHW or lean out and cut to 170. Somewhere between Condit and Anderson physique, not the Rumble "dehydrated bodybuilder" look. Sounds like a solid physical base to me. Tall, but not too lanky, and with ability to favorably matchup well physically with anyone from WW to LHW, depending upon age and focus.

thats me! lol...

I would go with 6-6'4 Probably a Prime Cro Cop build with speed and diverse skills to match it. Strength in the legs, hips, torso. Enough length to strike well, stocky enough to wrestle fuck when needed.

I actually think the op was a solid post. Good idea for discussion. Something I often wonder myself. Then you see anomalies like fedor, Igor V, etc. do amazing things. Tough question

It's going to be tough to convince me that I'd rather have a 6'2 230 lb body than Dwight Howard's 7'0 275 lb body. And counter to OP, I don't think he'd necessarily be destined for any abnormal health problems due to his size, outside of those normally associated with his sport .. eventually worn down knees, etc.

Now as for brain, heart, etc, I'll be looking elsewhere. But pure body to take into battle? That's it.

No such thing as a perfect size. That's the reason there are weight classes....

Semmy has the perfect size for MMA. He was never focusing on MMA, And while he was competing every weekend In karate, kickboxing And grappling, he still managed to be a top 5 hw And a champion. If he had focused on MMA, he would be nearly unbeatable (at 300 lbs).

Back