What is the future of the UFC HW division?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Renzo Gracie NH, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Renzo Gracie NH

Renzo Gracie NH Black Belt

The average age of a top 10 HW on Sherdog and the contenders list is 33.4 and there are only 2 fighters under 20 (Minakov and Volkov). 7 of the top 15 are over 35. Velasquez is only 32 but has experienced his fair share of injuries. JDS is only 30 but looks 40. I have to imagine that in 3 years the landscape will look entirely different but I don't see any guys that are that young and look primed to take over the division.

For a comparison, FW features 6 fighters in the top 10 that re under 30 (including the champ) and no fighters over 35. The contenders list includes another 4 guys under 30. I only looked at those 2 divisions and to be fair, at a quick glance MW looks pretty old too, but not as bad as HW and MW has some younger guys that look like they could break through.

MMA is getting bigger and attracting better athletes but the HW division's future still looks kind of bleak. Am I being too harsh?

2. Corleone187

Corleone187 ㄥ8ƖǝuoǝlɹoƆ

2005 fighters > 2015 fighters

Anyday. The evidence proves it.

I don't even think cain and jds would even crack top 10 in 2005. A washed up Mark Hunt gave JDS a run in 2014. A Prime 2005 Mark Hunt wasn't even ranked

3. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

If Cain is injured again....will be Cro Cop as HW champ

4. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

not much going on in 2015 with JDS and Cain both out

5. Jermei

Jermei Steel Belt Platinum Member

Go to bed.

6. AJ Garcia

AJ Garcia Level 10 Keyboard warrior Professional Fighter

Siver is 36
    But ya, HW is ridiculous. The fact that someone like arlovski can come back and be a top ten guy says it all.

7. rjmbrd

rjmbrd Gold Belt

It's a problem with fighter pay. Right now, MMA is a winner-take-all proposition. A handful of guys at the top make a nice living and everyone else earns peanuts.

The number of stud athlete All-American wrestlers who finished college the last 5 years that currently work for 30k a year as high school gym teachers and assist wrestling coaches is in the dozens. That is how bad entry pay is in MMA.

We are wheeling around geriatric heavyweights because the sport fails to attract young guys from a very available talent pool because the risk-reward proposition is very, very bad.

8. Renzo Gracie NH

It seems to only be affecting HW's though. The road to the UFC is even easier for them too but there isn't much coming down the pipeline. A LW or a WW might have to string together 10 or 12 wins to get a look. It seems like the standard is lower for HW's. PAy has to be part of it but the HW division is particularly bad.

9. rjmbrd

rjmbrd Gold Belt

Again, look at my example.

Each year, the NCAA tournament produces 8 men who are All American heavyweights. There is a solid argument that amateur wrestling - at a high level - is the single most successful base of MMA as a sport.

These guys should be absolutely flooding into the sport. They are not. Look some up. You'll find gangs of them working as high school gym teachers and assistant wrestling coaches for 32k a year.

The risk reward financial proposition of MMA is so absurdly bad, they can't recruit guys who are freaky athletes with a tremendously proven base into the sport.

10. TheMMABettor

TheMMABettor White Belt

Corleone,

I hope you bet on MMA; maybe you are part responsible for oddlines that make no sense in todays MMA market. Keep up the good work, your lack of intelligence will make my families future that much easier. Have lots of kids, I need more employees that are daft and can be molded to my will at a measly $25.00 an hour.

Worst regards,
    TheMMABettor

11. Renzo Gracie NH

I understand that the financial rewards aren't there. But they aren't there for the lighter guys either, and the lighter guys can be gym teachers and coaches too.

One could argue the financial prospects are better for heavier guys because their road to the UFC is the easiest and the sport is starved for HW's to market. So I think there has to be something more to the lack of new talent other than $$$

Either way I think the UFC HW division is goign to continue to be bad and will probably get worse in the years to come.

12. imissWECPalmer

imissWECPalmer Purple Belt

fact is not everyone is a fighter. especially for hws it can be a scary thought to get KTFO and as mentioned, the pay isn't worth the risk.

13. dsmjrv

dsmjrv Yellow Belt

Lol 25 a hour is good pay.. shows how clueless u are, probably 14 years old..

14. PorkPiePusher

PorkPiePusher Loro Piana cashmere belt

CC, AA, Barnett - the future is the past.

15. kphizzle

kphizzle Green Belt

if Cain can't stay healthy he needs to hang them up there is a lot of talent out there

16. cyrusthevyrus

cyrusthevyrus Black Belt

HW will probably die :(

17. Renzo Gracie NH

I know it won't ie but I could see it degrading to the level of a Bellator or WSOF division with no really compelling fighters in it.

18. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

uh... mark hunt's prime is now. And he didnt give JDS a run for anything.

19. Freddy Mercury

Freddy Mercury Banned Banned

You make some great points. Make the pay worthwhile for them and there would be a lot more guys joining the UFC.

By the way, even though there are the same number of lighter weights getting All-American titles, there are far more wrestlers in the lighter divisions than HW too.

20. AliBagaooteenov

AliBagaooteenov Imagine a Prime Yoel Romero Poundin yo Old Lady Banned

Minakov and Volkov are not in UFC