what is the favored manufacturer for Gi's-

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by MMAGearZone, Oct 30, 2010.

1. MMAGearZone

MMAGearZone White Belt

i see a ton of threads about all different companies and often see so many conflicting responses asking for information but not always getting much back. So I am just wondering what is the favored Gi for everyone? Not the exact model necessarily, but the maker. I am going to add another Gi supplier to my company (already carrying Vulkan) and I want to get a good idea of what most people want to buy. There are so many out there and since we buy inventory up front it is a big investment obviously.

Your responses can be one word or many depending on your opinion.

For me, my favorite is obviously Vulkan (had the Gi before doing business). But I have had a Gameness and I HATED it.

2. Ragga1205

Ragga1205 Blue Belt

3. Chalito

Chalito Purple Belt

This topic has been covered a few times. I don't have the link but someone actually took a poll and Shoyoroll was somewhere near the top. It all depends on peoples body types.

Personally speaking my favorites are SYR and OTM.

4. Roflolfish

Roflolfish Yellow Belt

there is actually 2 survey results out there that had hundred(s) of participants you should check thst out

5. MMAGearZone

MMAGearZone White Belt

just for the record i have looked over old results and polls. but that is exactly what they were, old. there have been so many new Gis that came out in just the last 6 months that what was relevant a year ago is now outdated and done.

if anyone finds it annoying to have another thread asking this type of question then I guess I would be lost on why they would take the time to click on it, read the replies, type out a nasty response, wait for it to go through.... I guess I never really got why if someone doesnt like something they feel that they have to take the time to make it known.

Not calling out anyone here as you all have been pretty good with responses. just making a general statement about something I see on boards all the time and something I have seen posted here dozens of times.

Anyway, you know I hear alot of great about the Atama but I read a review from a few guys who posted about them and their reviews were modest at best with quality of craftsmanship being questionable.

I hear alot of good on Koral. and a few guys I trained with swear by their Bad Boys

6. Roflolfish

Roflolfish Yellow Belt

sorry, i didn't mean for that to sound harsh, but i really did think it would have been helpful if you looked them over and only suggested it just incase you missed it.. thats all.

and about your gameness... is it the new feather ones you hate? why do you hate it? i was thinking of buying one of those or a fushida

koral seems to be the safe standard for top (~150 price range) gi

7. pbnation

pbnation Blue Belt

8. Stratamagnus

Stratamagnus Blue Belt

You could put in an entry level gi like a Fuji or an HCK.

9. TrueFightGear

TrueFightGear Yellow Belt

True of course. :D

10. AgentFish

AgentFish Orange Belt

I would say it would depend on what type of clientele you're looking to provide for. Entry level? Experienced players looking for variety? Niche?

I'm personally shopping for a Breakpoint gi, I kind of like that it's all blinged out (totally personal preferrence).

11. martiallist

martiallist White Belt

I'd say Shoyoroll. It's like the only gi that sells for more than it's retail price and people are willing to pay for it.

12. kimble09

kimble09 Green Belt

i like my new breakpoint ultra light...

i'de like to know the significance of looking at what the upper belts are all wearing to the big tournaments...it would seem that these are the true testaments to any Gi...they wear the hell out of them.

cyborg for instance...i always see him wearing a Koral. i don't care what anyone says about Koral, if it's good enough for Cyborg, it's good enough for me! although, it's a little pricey right now, so i went with a <$100 Breakpoint Ultra Light that looks tight, and has a bad mofo lapel.

13. acsubie**

acsubie** Orange Belt

SYR followed by Gameness for me! Have the new OTM ripstop gi coming, first venture into all ripstop gi and hoping I don't regret

14. nykayfabe

nykayfabe Green Belt

But those guys are also sponsored and get new gis all the time. Tons of the top guys are sponsored by and rock Keiko Raca, yet I've still seen a bunch of them fall apart in a matter of months. Not saying Koral isn't quality, but I don't think what the top guys wear is necessarily an indicator of anything other than the brand being established and/or is willing to shell out some cash.

15. Titanium Jaw

Titanium Jaw Orange Belt

Yup thats why u never go with paid endorsments as a basis of quality

16. Meerkatsu

Meerkatsu Blue Belt

Two UK brands are now producing incredibly good quality gis:

Tatami Fightwear
    and
    Black Eagle

It's taken them both three or four generations of gis to get to the level where they can match the quality and consistency of Keiko, Atama, Vulkan etc but now they are matching, and in some regards surpassing the bigger brands.

If you had to choose one model from each of these companies, then for the Tatami Fightwear I highly recommend the Estilo, and from Black Eagle, I highly recommend the single weave.

17. MMAGearZone

MMAGearZone White Belt

I honestly dont remember which Gameness it was. but it wasnt a lightweight version. This thing was so thick and so heavy and so uncomfortable. It restricted motion and once I got even a little bit sweaty this thing weighed a ton!

i personally prefer a very thin type of material that moves easily with my body. I like something that seems breathable and softer feeling. Im not big on these thick fat canvas things.

I may order a Koral just to check it out. Shoyo has been getting rave reviews on all the boards I go to as well.

Havent seen much on breakpoint but its worth checking out. Though I wonder how bad shipping would be coming from there. I try to keep all my prices down as low as possible.

18. kimble09

kimble09 Green Belt

okay, yeah...that makes sense, can't argue with that.

19. pooljunkie73

pooljunkie73 White Belt

20. WeJammin**

WeJammin** Banned Banned

GUys i need help real bad. Im 6'4"3/4 223 and looking at the atama gold. My question is will it be too short? Need to buy a gi real soon and dont wanna do a mistake like my last gi. ty!