1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

What is the difference between NO GI jj and 10th planet jj

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Sprawla007, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Sprawla007

Sprawla007 White Belt

where i train now they teach gi jj and then have no gi after it, They also teach wrestling there. What is the difference between what i learn in my NOGI class at my club and what they teach at 10th planet jj which is all NOGI. My goals are to fight MMA, so i train mainly NOGI and wrestling for the grappling part of my training. My trainer told me it is the simple moves/subs you will use in a fight, so all these high risk maneuvers rarely ever come off. So my question is, is there moves i will learn at a 10th planet academy that my NOGI teacher cant teach me. Thanks

2. Prominence

Prominence White Belt

Rubber Guard.

3. Cachimbo

Cachimbo Blue Belt

4. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

No.

5. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

The retarded terminology.

6. GSparky

GSparky Green Belt

No-Gi is the sport of No-Gi & 10th Planet is one of the schools that trains & competes in No-Gi. Similar to the UFC vs MMA debate. MMA is the sport, UFC is an organization in MMA.

You can never train in the 10th Planet System & still train No-Gi if you chose to.

7. Russo93

Russo93 Yellow Belt

First of all, gi jiu jitsu is imperative for the finest technique in gi OR no gi. Try gi for a month and tell me that you don't improve in no gi. People always think just because they are fighting MMA they don't need no gi. Yea that may be true that you don't absolutely need it, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't benefit from it.

8. Sprawla007

Sprawla007 White Belt

thanks for pointing out the obvious, i understand the difference between NOGI and 10th planet.

in my first post i said my club does a NO GI jj class, which is NO GI grappling and 10th planet is all NO GI grappling as well, so i was asking if 10th planet had any special moves that my teacher couldn't teach me in my NO GI jj class. Understand now??

and i never though UFC and MMA was the same thing.

9. pailum117

pailum117 Blue Belt

The main difference?? No-gi bjj guys are actually sucessful in MMA and Sub wrestling, 10th Planet Guys aren't.

The BJJ community was doing what Eddie Bravo does before Eddie Bravo was born; all he did was come up with some weird names for it.

Really think about it. How often do you see top MMA guys or sub grappling guys doing rubber guard and twister set ups? Almost never. The top no-gi guys: Roger, Marcelino, Maia, Barral, Jacare, Braulio, Drysdale (one of the most successful rg guys tho), Xande, Galvao; all just work fundamental Jiu Jitsu at a high level.

I'm not just an Eddie hater. I would definetely love to toke, listen to music and watch fights with him, I just don't feel that RG and the Twister works as well as basic jiu jitsu, judo and wrestling.

10. Sprawla007

Sprawla007 White Belt

i am just about to start gi jj. I ordered a fuji gi in the mail so as soon as it arrives i will start. I have done NO GI for about 8 months. Im not against the GI, would love to get a blue belt in the future.

11. Sprawla007

Sprawla007 White Belt

i don't get what the fuss is about 10th planet, seems like a load of shit to me. All his moves have ridiculous names and don't seem practical to me

12. Uezama**

Uezama** Brown Belt

why are you acting like a smartass after you asked one of the dumbest questions possible? obviously 10th planet is going to teach different things because its a different school. theres things that your school will teach you that 10th planet wouldnt. of course there is going to be a basic outline, but there will be variations in technique, teaching method, etc.

i mean seriously, this has got to be one of the stupidest questions ever asked in the grappling subforum that wasnt meant for trolling and the TS talks shit to a guy who answers his question. crazy.

13. Kimuralex

Kimuralex Brown Belt

Dont try to learn every move on the planet..... rather try to perfect the ones you like and use effectively.

This bruce lee quote is appropriate.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times.

14. nni

nni Orange Belt

lol @ tangent.

15. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Honestly there's no need to be rude to someone that made an attempt to answer you question, which is one that could be answered by using the search function or even google. No one is jumping down your throat, and people are being helpful towards you by discussing this. If you already know so much about it, why act that way towards someone?

16. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

I agree and disagree.

"Could" he learn the same things in a no-gi class? Of course. "Will" he? Probably not. It seems here @SPRAWLA007, that people are also discussing the merits of 10th Planet, and comparing it to classes that just teach No-Gi BJJ.

"So my question is, is there moves i will learn at a 10th planet academy that my NOGI teacher cant teach me. Thanks"

The answer to this question is yes. You may learn the Rubber Guard at a traditional school, but it is going to be different than learning it under someone who does it all the time. Forget the rubber guard. They have a lot of stuff now that other No-Gi schools aren't teaching. On a side note, there are many schools that teach certain particular things other schools don't. For example, Marcelo Garcia's school is going to teach you Guillotines better than any other school in the world. Can you still learn that Guillotine at other schools? Yes. Is it coming from the source? No. But, how important is learning that to you?

The real question is whether or not that (10th Planet No-Gi) makes it better (than other No-Gi), which I'm not going to touch. A lot depends on what you want out of your training. A lot of people will point out that the best No-Gi players in the world consistently are people that spend at least half the calender year in a Gi. Other schools may teach more No-Gi than Gi also (a few big ones). Still, other people may point out the success George Sotiropoulos has had in MMA recently using the rubber guard, spider web, etc.

I know it sounds like I'm actively trying to NOT answer your question, but anywhere on the internet besides the 10th Planet forum, you are going to get people telling you to stick with a traditional MMA, BJJ, and No-Gi school. Is this right? Like I said, I can't/wouldn't if I could, answer that.

17. Sprawla007

Sprawla007 White Belt

what you are saying makes sence to me, obviously each club has its strong points depending on what the teacher teaches. Where i train now all the GI guys are guard players, so they pull guard straight away because that is what they have been taught. I was wondering why 10th planet has its own brand if i can still learn the same moves in my NOGI jj class.