What is the boxing forums take on mayweathers career?

I mean, the only people Manny ever beat at 147 were Cotto, Mosley, Bradley and Margarito (well that was 154). He beat some other cans named Clottey and Marquez, too. That doesn't really prove to me that he ever belonged at 147.

The guy is 5’5”.

He was clearly better at 126 a weight fought never fought at as a professional.

"Pacquiao blown up"

What do you mean by that?

To describe a “blown up” fighter is to describe a fighter fighting above their optimal weight class.

If you hear a UK boxer or a UK boxing pundit talk about a “blown up” fighter that is what they are talking about. By extension it is very common for a British boxer like Carl Foch to say he’s a “full blown super middleweight” to signify he’s fighting in his optimal weight class.

I’ll be happy to cite some examples of UK fighters using it if you “experts” aren’t familiar with it.

This is basic UK boxing slang. This is like a US boxing fan asking what’s a “puncher” don’t all boxers throw punches?

A true boxing fan who follows interviews should be aware of this term, there are enough prominent UK fighters.

As far as Pacquiao fighting above his optimal weight class against Floyd, I’m hardly the only one to make that argument. I’d be happy to dig out an interview of Kellerman ranting on that very subject. If some of the guys on this forum know more than Kellerman about boxing why aren’t they getting paid like him?

To describe a “blown up” fighter is to describe a fighter fighting above their optimal weight class.

If you hear a UK boxer or a UK boxing pundit talk about a “blown up” fighter that is what they are talking about. By extension it is very common for a British boxer like Carl Foch to say he’s a “full blown super middleweight” to signify he’s fighting in his optimal weight class.

I’ll be happy to cite some examples of UK fighters using it if you “experts” aren’t familiar with it.

This is basic UK boxing slang. This is like a US boxing fan asking what’s a “puncher” don’t all boxers throw punches?

A true boxing fan who follows interviews should be aware of this term, there are enough prominent UK fighters.

As far as Pacquiao fighting above his optimal weight class against Floyd, I’m hardly the only one to make that argument. I’d be happy to dig out an interview of Kellerman ranting on that very subject. If some of the guys on this forum know more than Kellerman about boxing why aren’t they getting paid like him?
Please, Pac was more than proven at welterweight. Some of his most significant wins came at the weight and in fact, even one weight class higher.

The guy is 5’5”.

He was clearly better at 126 a weight fought never fought at as a professional.

He was probably better at 126, but he genuinely did outgrow the weight. His optimal weight when he was done growing was likely 35 or 40, but he was plenty capable at 47. He has said on various occasions that after cutting tons of weight for so long in his career, he was happy to be fighting at WW.

Last edited:
Top 15-20 ATG
Okay name 15 fighters better? Name 10 better? Man fought best of best for a decade and other than a few times embarrassed who he fought. Remember him making Canelo look like he never boxed before. Taking JMM and making him look like a low level can. And he did this for a decade. Other than SRR who stands out as bettef?

Probably not the most entertaining boxer, but he has beaten some of the very best in the sport.

He was a great boxer, but he was more passionate about business than boxing which is why he never took fights he thought he had a chance to lose.He never fought an ATG at their best. As a result, he doesn't have a signature victory.

He'll be remembered for his zero more than for any particular great win.

he lost in the olympics, got beaten by Castillo and gifted a win. Lots of shady antics including glove requirements, drug testing, etc. what is the boxing forums take on mayweathers career?
Best in our Generation, he is so good he transcends boxing, ruffled feathers for many UFC fans because he pretty much is the most popular athlete in the UFC

he lost in the olympics, got beaten by Castillo and gifted a win. Lots of shady antics including glove requirements, drug testing, etc. what is the boxing forums take on mayweathers career?
FMJ was the greatest fighter in history...i rank him #1 pfp in history.

btw, he beat castillo with one good hand.

Arturo Gatti was known for wars, not being a good boxer.

Everyone has an excuse but Mayweather's style was stylistically handable by anyone with brains. His workrate wasn't overwhelming. He had fragile hands that made him hesitant to let go. Everyone has an excuse AFTER the fight.
He does what is needed to win, (masterclass performance) look how he destroyed power puncher McGregor

lol at Pac being "blown up." By that logic, so was mayweather since his "optimal weight" was at 130.

He was probably better at 126, but he genuinely did outgrow the weight. His optimal weight when he was done growing was likely 35 or 40, but he was plenty capable at 47. He has said on various occasions that after cutting tons of weight for so long in his career, he was happy to be fighting at WW.

What is the point of arguing that? He couldn't fight at that weight any longer.

What is the point of arguing that? He couldn't fight at that weight any longer.

What do you mean? If you're trying to identify his optimal weight, you might say it's FW (I'd say SFW, but that's another conversation). He eventually grew out of that weight. That's all I'm saying.

Certified ATG, a great resume that could have been even greater. One of the best defensive fighters ever, top 5 or even top 3. I rank a lot on resume so I'd put Floyd somewhere in the 30's I think but that's very special.

I think your post is shit

Floyds better than all your favorite fighters

He is the top 3 fighter of all time. In my opinion, without argument. He's done what not too many have done in boxing and was able to leave undefeated, beating Marciano's record. On top of that, just about 50% of his fights were all title fights, and despite that, his KO ratio is over 50%. He is one of the most accurate punchers in history, as well as one of the most evasive. Love him or hate him, his one of the best ever. If you don't agree with top 3, then he is top 5 at least.

I like this post. Hes easily top 5 all time

He is the top 3 fighter of all time. In my opinion, without argument. He's done what not too many have done in boxing and was able to leave undefeated, beating Marciano's record. On top of that, just about 50% of his fights were all title fights, and despite that, his KO ratio is over 50%. He is one of the most accurate punchers in history, as well as one of the most evasive. Love him or hate him, his one of the best ever. If you don't agree with top 3, then he is top 5 at least.

Okay name 15 fighters better? Name 10 better? Man fought best of best for a decade and other than a few times embarrassed who he fought. Remember him making Canelo look like he never boxed before. Taking JMM and making him look like a low level can. And he did this for a decade. Other than SRR who stands out as bettef?

This is over the top. There are certainly fighters (more than a few) who have accomplished bigger feats.

Jones beat (no, dominated) two ATG's, one of them P4P#1, right in their prime and became the first man in 100 years to win Middleweight and Heayvweight titles.

Hopkins has an incredible resume and beat the odds multiple times against prime champions while breaking multiple championship records.

Whitaker was a better defensive fighter and fought his best opponents closer to their primes.

Hearns, Duran, Ray Leonard have indisputably better resumes. They are ridiculously accomplished.

Armstrong, Pep, Saddler, Benny Leonard, Langford, Tunney, Gans are universally considered by historians to be absolute standout talents fighting in loaded eras and divisions.

Ali cleared out a golden age of Heavyweights and Joe Louis had an incredible reign that included multiple ATG's.

Floyd gets a lot of credit for dominant performances, longevity, defensive prowess, and yes, his opponents were still elite. But he lacks signature wins over prime ATG's and that holds him back when comparing him to the very best that have ever lived. It's a high standard. Floyd is among them but he is not atop of them.

The objective of boxing is hit and not get hit. He is the best ever by that standard.

Back