What is the blueprint for beating Rumble on the feet?

Melas Chasma

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
From a technical standpoint. Any ideas? Serious question so please no "poke him in the eye", "wait until he gasses" - type of answers.

Last edited:
when he does this, duck

Anthony%2BJohnson%2BFace%2BKicks%2BCharlie%2BBrenneman%2BUFC%2Bon%2BVersus%2B6.gif

Get Steve Mazzagatti as a referee and poke the shit out of his eye until he is unable to go on.

superior technique and better cardio until he tires a bit.

i think Gus wins 6/10 fights between the 2 standing, and i think Glover will KO him.

1. Have a good chin,
  2. survive the first round,
  3. then from the standing position proceed to take AJ down!

Really we haven't seen Rumble tested by a high level striker for a prolonged period, its always been a case of people out grappling him to win.

I believe Vitor was frustrating him with his speed. I want to rewatch Rumble's fights with Burns and Koscheck to see what's there.

when he does this, duck

Anthony%2BJohnson%2BFace%2BKicks%2BCharlie%2BBrenneman%2BUFC%2Bon%2BVersus%2B6.gif

ducking kicks is not bright unless your extremely quick like Buakaw. Mostly your just gonna make it easier by ducking right into it

I thought Gus and Jones were the only ones who could.

Keep distance, stay busy, outwork him and earn your space.

If you don't grapple him your fucked. Even if you do try to grapple him, there's a good chance your still fucked.

well you dont wanna strike with him in the beggining when he is like a bull in a china shop,you gotta wait for him to calm the fuck down first. He can throw hooks with surprising speed,and you just gotta be aware of that. Cant stay still. Thats how he can catch you with the hook when you stop.

I believe Vitor was frustrating him with his speed. I want to rewatch Rumble's fights with Burns and Koscheck to see what's there.

I wonder if that would be only a waste of time, those fights were ages ago.

superior technique and better cardio until he tires a bit.

i think Gus wins 6/10 fights between the 2 standing, and i think Glover will KO him.
Glover is getting smashed bro. Glover is way too slow, and Johnson will catch him at some point. Bader had Glover really hurt in their fight, Rumble will finish him.

I wonder if that would be only a waste of time, those fights were ages ago.
It's possible, but sometimes, the dominant monsters have trouble closing their defensive gaps. I know Rumble had identified his problem with bac control/RNCs long ago, probably even before the Clementi fight, and I know that's still his primary weakness.

There are many things that go into that flaw (cardio, sufficient bjj experience to be comfortable in tight spots and not make positional errors, even TDD, etc.), but it's still, altogether, the best route to beating him.

I think it probably comes down to defence, cardio and speed. Don't get KTFO' early, don't get tired, and hit him more than he can hit you. But tbh I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Back