What is the big deal with fighters in the same camp fighting each other?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by goldentoe, May 27, 2014.

1. goldentoe

goldentoe Banned Banned

I never really understood why fighters have such a big problem with it. Its just a sport, they train everyday to be the best fighter what is the big deal with competing against each other?

A guys Like DC and Machida put their own careers on hold just so they dont have to fight their friends its pretty dumb IMO.

DC should have no problem fighting Cain for the belt its just a competition to see who the best fighter is, they dont have to be enemies to compete.

I would fight my own brother if they paid us enough. i would even train with him for the fight LOL.

2. Charlestonboy

Charlestonboy Blue Belt

Do you really want to be the one to push your friend's career back? Cuz thats what every loss is in mma. A step back, a step towards losing one's job.

3. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

At the end of the day these men create friendships that will last longer beyond the sport almost to the point where they probably thing of each other as brothers and no one knows you as well as your friend so they see in inherent danger of facing an opponent that knows them well or the damage they can put on their friends because they have that same advantage.

4. goldentoe

goldentoe Banned Banned

that is the business they are in. if my friend holds the belt and i think I am the best i would have no problem competing with him.

5. Bubson Bubba

Bubson Bubba Purple Belt

Gameplanning is a big part of pre-fight.

6. priderulez

priderulez Brown Belt

There are two sides to this thing:

First, when you spend time with someone you can befriend the guy. Naturally this would make it harder to simply perceive him as a opponent you gotta beat into a pulp in order to proceed with your career. It's easier I guess when you're not so much of a close friends with the given fighter.

Second, if the fight is about who's the best, i.e. for some championship or whatever it means you both had reached the highest in your careers and the guy who's aspiring to be a champ has the right to try and take the belt without being judged. This is why I really thought DC should have fought Cain when he was on the line for a title shot at HW instead of dropping down to LHW, especially since it's known he has some health problems with the weight cutting.

It's a competitive sport after all and even though it sucks ass to fight friends I'd say it's OK if the two fighters are after the same goal and have worked their way up to deserving a shot at achieving it. Cause whats the opposite? Who of the two can be asked to surrender his hard work, the blood the sweat and the tiers?

7. Diet Otsuka

Diet Otsuka Red Belt

Becomes real messy when you have to decide who gets to stay at the home gym.

8. Irenaeus

Irenaeus Black Belt

Some people think like that, and they don't have a problem fighing friends. Others don't, and their priorities should be respected.

It's much easier to say stuff like that from the sidelines. Fighters have relatively short careers, with the potential to slide downwards very fast. Hurting somebody's career is a big thing which they might never recover from.

9. Lito Lapida

Lito Lapida Brown Belt

Kos vs. Fitch! make it happen!

10. BulldogWrestler

BulldogWrestler Banned Banned

I can imagine these being shitty fights due to both guys knowing each others technique

11. attftl86

attftl86 Blue Belt

It'd be interesting to see more guys taking big fights against their team, for example if faber put some wins together and challenged TJ for the belt I'd love to watch that fight. I'd like to see Nate vs Gil too. Having the best train with the best would make an interesting fight in the cage. I like guys like Hector, who is down to fight team mates with the right circumstances. ATT has so many top welterweights now, he said he wouldn't fight them unless it's for the belt, I think that's pretty fair. Everyone is in this sport for one reason and one reason only, to be the best and have that belt.

12. Freddy Mercury

Freddy Mercury Banned Banned

Spoken like a person who has never trained mixed martial arts.

Judging from your ignorance, your friends would have no problems fighting you because since you don't train, you'd be an easy win.

13. TheRassler

TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

if you are fighting in this sport to become #2, you are in the wrong sport.

14. TheProphetAxel

TheProphetAxel Black Belt

That's funny, I didn't know winning the LHW title and being ranked in the top 5 was Machida putting his career on hold. Had Jones not come around, it is likely that Machida would have gotten the title back as soon as Shogun lost it.

15. goldentoe

goldentoe Banned Banned

I train Bjj and kick boxing at least 3 nights a week.

16. Freddy Mercury

Freddy Mercury Banned Banned

You must be popular with your friends...I mean training partners. That attitude means you don't have friends in the gym. Real friends I mean.

And I don't believe you.

17. sp1017

sp1017 Yellow Belt

What's the big deal with them not fighting each other? They don't want to fight each other because they're friends simple as that. It's not like dc drops to lhw and loses all credibility. Plus I think he is the man in lhw to beat jones.

18. goldentoe

goldentoe Banned Banned

I dont care if you dont believe me. Its a sport, a competition nothing personal. i compete with my friends in many things.

19. goldentoe

goldentoe Banned Banned

its not a street fight it is a competition nothing personal. they dedicate their lives to be the best.

If a friendship cant withstand a sports competition they aren't very good friends.

20. Flash_Monsta

Flash_Monsta Black Belt

I wouldn't of liked to fight one of my training partners. They become your friends, you help each other train for fights, help each other with weaknesses, corner each other at fights. It's like a brotherhood.