What is the best way to defeat my opponent?

RealVision116

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I am having a k1 fight in a few weeks. I have been told that my opponent is a very aggressive fighter, as in he is always pushing forward with pressure and does not stop.
I will be much taller than my opponent as I am tall for my weight class, so maybe I could use that to my advantage? I have had trouble with pressuring fighters, I tend to shell up when I am getting bombarded with punches. Is there anything that I should look for in this fight?

jab, teep, clinch, long knee

At this point, I don't think anything we say will affect the outcome. You've been doing camp with your coach(es) a certain way. Just do what you usually do. Good luck

i think hitting him and not getting hit yourself might be the best strategy. tbh, your coaches should have taught you what you need to know for the fight, and you shouldn't even need to think about it at this point, over thinking will just as distractions, and i doubt anything we say will make much of a difference at this point, all i can say is dont over think and dont be scared of him

Long knees. And for the love of God post a video of the fight in this thread. I'm always left wondering when people do this

Take him out of his game... FORCE him to back up and concede ground. If this won't work and he keeps coming forward like a bull then you need to cut an angle around him and rattle his bones with a combination. If you do manage to get him on the back foot, use the strikes other guys mentioned to threaten him when he inevitably pushes back. Let him go forward-- into your teep or jab. Then uncertainty will exist in his mind, then you will own him.

If you tend to shell up in response to punch flurries, then I assure you, giving him ground and allowing him to punch flurry is NOT a good idea.

Own the center line. Force him to take the long way around your hits to get to you. The moment he chooses a side to come at you from, then you pivot out the other way off your front foot. He will chase you harder and harder. Then you can start hitting him when he is off balance, as he passes you (bullfighter style) and let him walk into your cleaner hits. At least that is the approach I would probably take based on the little information you have given.

Take him out of his game... FORCE him to back up and concede ground. If this won't work and he keeps coming forward like a bull then you need to cut an angle around him and rattle his bones with a combination. If you do manage to get him on the back foot, use the strikes other guys mentioned to threaten him when he inevitably pushes back. Let him go forward-- into your teep or jab. Then uncertainty will exist in his mind, then you will own him.

If you tend to shell up in response to punch flurries, then I assure you, giving him ground and allowing him to punch flurry is NOT a good idea.

Thank you this really helpful. I was contemplating on whether or not to beat an aggressor I would have to out brawl them. Thing is I'm more of a patient fighter so I would be a little out of my element, but that is something I must adjust to. Being aggressive is what wins most amateur fights anyway.

To everyone else, I guess I was just concerned with this particular fight since I see it as one of my weaknesses, but I guess you are right. The training is almost done I just thought maybe I should get into a certain mindset way before the fight as usually my coach tells me what the game plan is the week of the fight (maybe I should ask first instead of waiting lol)

Thank you this really helpful. I was contemplating on whether or not to beat an aggressor I would have to out brawl them. Thing is I'm more of a patient fighter so I would be a little out of my element, but that is something I must adjust to. Being aggressive is what wins most amateur fights anyway.

To everyone else, I guess I was just concerned with this particular fight since I see it as one of my weaknesses, but I guess you are right. The training is almost done I just thought maybe I should get into a certain mindset way before the fight as usually my coach tells me what the game plan is the week of the fight (maybe I should ask first instead of waiting lol)

What's the situation here? What organization are you fighting for? What's your experience?

Fighting under K1 rules and not knowing the basics of style vs style strategies seems odd. Is this a backyard match?

What's the situation here? What organization are you fighting for? What's your experience?

Fighting under K1 rules and not knowing the basics of style vs style strategies seems odd. Is this a backyard match?

It's a fight against my 64 year old Uncle on top of the building of a Toys R Us.

It's a fight against my 64 year old Uncle on top of the building of a Toys R Us.

Hah!

Make him scared of coming in so he stays at your range. Knees and uppercuts are your friends.

Teeps and long knees. Jab and circle

I like guys that have a pressuring style, if you have ok footwork and good cardio id go with a runner/counter fighting style, and make him pay each time he steps into your range to land a shot, or just play with his distance by poping in and out of his range to to fuck with him and from time to time land a quick fast combo then pop back out of range before he has time to react, if you do that you need some serious cardio, and you'd be surprised to see how many people get all stiff when they loose their ability to judge distance, or at least start hesitating as to when to throw.

However if your opponent has a pressuring/counter fighter style that might not work as well as he'll just be applying the pressure looking to time your shots as he works into your range, in that case i would personally look at hitting angles and use those angles to land a few shots before he can adjust.

but What the fuck do i know i'm just a gear guy who likes to spar and roll
Mike @ Gorilla

I see where you are going. IMO you should work in your lateral movement to get the f&&& out when it goes to the short distance.

Plus of course jabs, front kicks and knees. Also if you are a lot taller headkicks should be easy to throw without overcommit your self.

Agree with most what's been said, keep it straight, long and up the middle, straight punches, knees and teeps. Pivot off when he charges and lateral movement just when he gets set. If he gets close use your height and do a Klitschko, clinch and lean down on him, make him carry your weight. Throw a knee or however many they let you in K1 these days then wait for the break unless you can safely get out by yourself.

You probably don't have time but if you are going to work on any skill, work on clinch entries when your opponent is flurrying punches at you. You need to break the shelling habit especially since you are a tall fighter, it's just not in your favour to shell up when you present such a big target and you can tie him up with your long arms instead.

Hey guys, I won my fight! No video unfortuantely. During the second round I hit my opponent with a knee to the gut as he was coming in, and from there on I was the one that was putting the pressure on.

And to the people that said it was too late for advice, I actually had a lot of these things in mind as I was fighting. I did a lot more teeps and circled as he came in, so thanks everyone for the tips!

images

Hey guys, I won my fight! No video unfortuantely. During the second round I hit my opponent with a knee to the gut as he was coming in, and from there on I was the one that was putting the pressure on.

And to the people that said it was too late for advice, I actually had a lot of these things in mind as I was fighting. I did a lot more teeps and circled as he came in, so thanks everyone for the tips!

Feels good hurting someone and them backing off doesn't it :)

Back