What is the best striking art for MMA?

SGrulez1

White Belt
Reaction score
I've just started taking an MMA class, and was hoping to get into MMA, but most of what they teach is BJJ. I was wondering what was the best overall striking art to learn if I was to take a class somewhere else, because I need to learn some striking before I fight?

Depends if you're a BJJ guy then Muay Thai is ideal for you. If you're a wrestler then, Boxing.

Boxing or muay thai is usually the way to go for MMA though for a quick fix just do boxing and pick up a few leg kicks+how to check them otherwise you should be able to work the clinch at a somewhat decent level from BJJ

The most common is muay thai, supplemented by boxing training.

MT for learning how to use the 8 points effectively, boxing to improve footwork/ defense/ head movement/ hand proficiency. At the highest levels in MMA, it seems that everything starts with the hands. Fedor, BJ, GSP, Anderson, Aldo- all the guys that have been talked about as potential #1 p4p fighters, they all have excellent proficiency with their hands. Sure, Aldo & Ando both blast guys with kicks & knees without setting them up with hands at times, but they both have great boxing.

From experience, I can tell you that since you are focusing so much on learning proper offensive technique for the multitude of different strikes, defense can be overlooked in Muay Thai classes. In a boxing class, footwork & defense are equally (if not more) important to solid offensive technique with your hands.

Edit: That's if you're just starting your training, and not to say that guys with Karate/ Sanshou backgrounds can't come in and do well. But even then, MT and western boxing are necessary to train in since they are so prolific in modern MMA.

Muay Thai with refined boxing for sure. With the right skillset you can make most anything work (Anthony Pettis' fluidity off his back enables his uniquely effective TKD), but a MT base means proficiency with elbows knees and kicks, and boxing training helps with punching, footwork, and timing.

60-70% boxing

Rest MT

I feel that MT is overrated, especially in MMA. You must have MT defense though.

If you are talking single disciplines then it is Muay Thai by a very long shot. As long as you avoid the ever growing American McThai Dojo ofcourse...

But if you cannot find a good gym id take boxing over half assed muay thai, just really work on your clinch and kick defence.

60-70% boxing

Rest MT

I feel that MT is overrated, especially in MMA. You must have MT defense though.

I agree with this.

Western boxing is my 'base' so to speak...fill in the gaps with Muay Thai, Kyokushin and Savate.

Sanshou or Shidokan Karate. Much better and more well rounded than Muay Thai or Boxing.

Dutch style is probably the best. There gyms strike a good balance between all elements, that a fighter needs, to be a complete striker in MMA.

Why is Muay Thai ideal for a BJJ guy? And boxing ideal for a wrestler?

I dont understand.

A wrestler wants to dictate the tempo. He doesn't want to throw a kick and risk getting taken down. A BJJ guy is going to get taken down sooner or later(and he knows it), so he has no qualms about throwing high risk attacks such as high kicks or flying knees. Than again, nothing is set in stone. But for some reason this rule does seem to apply to today's MMA landscape. How many wrestlers do you see, that are committed to throwing kicks on a consistent basis? I can't think of any.

I've just started taking an MMA class, and was hoping to get into MMA, but most of what they teach is BJJ. I was wondering what was the best overall striking art to learn if I was to take a class somewhere else, because I need to learn some striking before I fight?

What works for you is what's most effective. You need to find that striking that you can make work the easiest. But to me striking is striking...so as long as you're learning sound body mechanics, and battle-proven strategies and tactics then you should be fine...

but personally, I'd pick some form of kickboxing / muay thai...because there's no sense limiting yourself to your hands.

Muay Thai or Boxing... it kinda depends on your style

best is boxing and learn to counter kick boxers muay thai guys dont have hands near a boxer

With wrestling being so intregal to MMA I would go with boxing.

Back