What is the best headgear for wrestling/BJJ rolling?

Arodblade

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've heard horror stories of guys tearing their ears or getting cauliflower ear---despite some of them even wearing wrestling head gear(because they were cheap/shifted around too much).

Anyway, I just want to avoid this all together and purchase a quality headgear that will protect my ears and allow for comfortable wrestling/BJJ rolling.

Thank you in advance for your help.

No tnks bro--gotta stay pretty, gnome sayin?

If Rener Gracie can maintain clean cut eats, I should be able to too.

I have Cliff Keen Twister and I also have Matman.

To be honest, the Twister are amazing but kind of bulky and can be rough on your partners. They are by far the most comfy head gear i've ever worn though.

But I still usually go with my matman head gear for my partners sake. They were cheap and even feel kind of cheap, but I've been using my current pair for about 8 months 5 times a week and they look like they're still new out of the package. Since they are soft material too, I just toss them in the laundry with my blue gi's and then hang dry them.

I've got a pair of Brute's that work very well for rolling/wrestling and full on striking. Love em to death.

Depends on your head shape. I like these better than the triangle ones:

06Klein.jpg

Depends on your head shape. I like these better than the triangle ones:

06Klein.jpg

To borrow from motorcycle helmet term, u mean long-oval shaped ? Like ur dome is flat on the sides and round in the front and back?

Well it looks like that from the pic. Any recommendations on brands? Especially, for one with a Tito Ortiz size noggin.

When I wrestled in High School, all I wore was the classic Cliff Keen Halo headgear. They will stay out of the way of your partner, and they're quite soft.

cliff-keen-halo-headgear.jpg

The trouble is, they don't offer much ear protection if someone is really trying to choke you.

For BJJ, I use the Asics Conquest. Perhaps more bulky but easy to clean and maintain. As long as the fit is good, I think it offers superior ear protection.

asics-headgear-conquest-black.jpg

If you're serious about protecting your ears, go with a CK headgear.

DSC02263.JPG

Almost everything else that I've seen is crap. I had a matman headgear and I ended up giving it away because it wouldn't stay on and barely protected my ears.

But if you're looking for something softer on your partner, checkout a rugby headgear:

ventilator%20headgear%20lg.jpg

I've never heard of someone actually using one for grappling, but I don't see why not.

Back