What is the best alternative to the 10 point system?

Thuckey

I swear to drunk.. I'm not God.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Based on a post I made in another thread.. this system I believe would make alot more sense..

Round winner gets 1 point. Loser 0.

10-8 type rounds are rewarded by giving winner an extra point.

So most UD's be 3-0, brutal beatdowns 4-0 or even 5-0 (that would require two "10-8" rounds"

Close fights, 2-1. (29-28's)

IF round is draw both fighters are awarded a point each. 1-1. etc. etc.

Simple, effective, and most importantly, aesthetic.

However, there must be other systems that could work as well or better than the currently used system? Any ideas? Or is the 10 point system just fine and we should leave it alone?

Just bring back Pride scoring and launch Cecil Peoples and Adalaide Byrd into outer space

For MMA the 10-pt system works in many fights but practically every controversial or very competitive/close decision comes down to the 10-pt system being flawed for those type of fights

This isnt boxing. PRIDEs system is besto, judge fights on the whole basically.

Just bring back Pride scoring and launch Cecil Peoples and Adalaide Byrd into outer space

I am curious how did the PRIDE system work exactly? I have seen some PRIDE fights but that was long ago and most ended with finishes.

Usually, the crowd has a good idea who won.

If it weren't such a popularity contest, even having the audience vote at the end sounds better than 10 point system. Obviously it wouldn't work..

But what about a team of say, 7 unbiased judges rather than 3, just vote on who they believe won? Just throwing out ideas.

Fixing the 10-point system. More 10-10's, 10-8's, 10-7's, not letting control without damage or sub attempts decide a fight.

The numbers don't matter that much, what matters is that the system actually reflects what went on in a round rather than judges just picking a winner.

The best alternative to 10 point must is using 10 point must correctly. EVERY fight card should have 10-10, 10-8 and likely 10-7s.

10-10 rounds are extremely common and right now, judges just randomly pick who they think won. 10-9 is supposed to be given with a close round but still a clear winner. 10-10 is supposed to be given for even rounds which we see all of the time.

10-8 for dominant rounds, which we also see all of the time and 10-7 for nearly finishing the opponent or having the fight close to being stopped. Use the 10 point must system properly and there is no problem.

I'm glad the 10-8 situation is getting addressed but 10-10 is just as important.

Judges who aren't political hacks given their positions by cronyism/nepotism.
Judge the WHOLE fight if there is no finish. (Fight metric numbers?)

Has there ever been a 10-5, 10-4, 10-3 round?

Pretty much why I find the system silly.

Pride rules where quite simple. Judge just voted for a guy that he thought win the fight. 3 Judges - 3 opinions on whole fight. Without scoring every single round just whole fight.

Based on a post I made in another thread.. this system I believe would make alot more sense..

However, there must be other systems that could work as well or better than the currently used system? Any ideas? Or is the 10 point system just fine and we should leave it alone?
I don't think it's really a problem with the 10 point system, more so how judges use it, i.e. not going below 10-8 rounds, rarely seeing 10-10 rounds etc.

Go watch round 1 of Maynard vs Edgar 2 and explain to me how that round is only scored 10-8.

Easily 10-6 imo.

I am curious how did the PRIDE system work exactly? I have seen some PRIDE fights but that was long ago and most ended with finishes.
If the match reaches its time limit then the outcome of the bout is determined by the three judges. The fight is scored in its entirety and not round-by-round. After the conclusion of the bout, each judge must decide a winner. Matches cannot end in a draw. A decision is made according to the following criteria in this order of priority:

1. the effort made to finish the fight via KO or submission,
  2. damage given to the opponent,
  3. standing combinations and ground control,
  4. takedowns and takedown defense,
  5. aggressiveness, and
  6. weight (in the case that the weight difference is 10 kg/22 lb or more).
If a fight is stopped on advice of the ring doctor after an accidental but illegal action, e.g., a clash of heads, and the contest is in its second or third round, the match will be decided by the judges using the same criteria.

If they fight 3 rounds and there is no clear winner,The wives/girlfriends fight 3 rounds.If still no clear winner,we move onto first born sons then daughters.Eventually we will get the KO/SUB we crave.

Back