What is more impressive?

the guy with the palm tree av would tell you that decisions are just draws and only finishes are impressive.

One have to give context to each fights though.
Aldo did not fight his best fight against Volk. Matter of fact it was his worse showing ever.
On the same token, Max (against COnor) was very far from the beast he became AFTER Conor.

That said, while Conor's wins were impressive due to the time it happened and how it happened, I do think Volk shutting down both Aldo and Max (at his peak), it was more impressive to me.
I don't really think it was neccesarily a bad showing from Aldo, I just think Volk had a great game plan and he was a very tough puzzle for Aldo to crack. Same with Holloway.
Dude has great feints, timing, power, wrestling, and varies his attack up extremely well while masking it all with feints.

I don't really think it was neccesarily a bad showing from Aldo, I just think Volk had a great game plan and he was a very tough puzzle for Aldo to crack. Same with Holloway.
Dude has great feints, timing, power, wrestling, and varies his attack up extremely well while masking it all with feints.
No, but look at all ALdo's fights. he NEVER fought like that.
Even Aldo said so (after the fight). He did nothing!
It happens. It was an off night by him.

Note: I am not saying he would have smashed Volk if he had a good night, not even saying he'd win. But it was visible how he was.. gun-shy.

I think Conor's KO over Aldo is one of the more impressive finishes I've seen only bc theres video of Conor practicing that shot over and over bc he saw how Aldo would lean into his strikes coming forward. Aldo was the true king for a long time coming into that fight. I typically go watch the fights at a bar but that one I bought and was so ready for a 5 round war. My wife was making us drinks and before she showed up with them, fight was over. And she was a MAJOR MAJOR Aldo fan

What's more impressive, Conor starching Aldo in 13 seconds and UD over Max Holloway
OR
Volkanovski 30-27 over Aldo and 50-45 over Holloway?

Imo, while both impressive, it's Volk. for showing the ability to sustain the status of being a better fighter over the course of several rounds.

Edit: Those who say Conor, would that change if Volk defeats Holloway decisively again?

Obviously Conor. Like not even close. Comparing the size of the universe to the size of the earth.

Only thing that comes close to Conor beating Aldo like that is Serra over GSP, Werdum over Fedor, Gonzaga over Crocop, BJ over Hughes.

come on, Max Holloway was like 19 when Conor beat him.

Even imo .... Conor’s win over prime ish Aldo was much more impressive...but volk victory over grown man Max was much more impressive imo

The obvious answer is conor because of aldo

I do think aldo was beginning to slip, but nobody managed to beat him for a decade

Obviously volks win over max was much better than beating a kid, but I still think Conor edges it because Aldo was a beast then

Volkanovski is more consistent, because he showed that his wins weren't flukes or luck, he won all rounds.

But Conor's wins are clearly more impressive, he one shot Aldo, and destroyed Max far more thoroughly than Volkanowski, in standup and mauled him on the ground too.

I believe Conor would have picked Aldo apart if that fight went on anyway, and it would have looked more impressive than Volk's win, and I think Conor would most likey destroy max in a similar way (at 155) today too

As soon as a fighter loses he is no longer in his prime, according to Sherdog.

What's more impressive, Conor starching Aldo in 13 seconds and UD over Max Holloway
OR
Volkanovski 30-27 over Aldo and 50-45 over Holloway?

Imo, while both impressive, it's Volk. for showing the ability to sustain the status of being a better fighter over the course of several rounds.

Edit: Those who say Conor, would that change if Volk defeats Holloway decisively again?
Decisions??? Or a decision and a finish..

Hmm tough choice oh wait he finished aldo wow

Do you really need to think about this..

Volk vs max they both though they won at the end as most decisions go..

Conors fights he won both even hada finish... who more impressive ??

Is not like Aldo was washed up or anything going into the Volk fight, he was coming from fucking up 2 serious contenders in Stephens and Moicano before getting shut down by Volk.

When Volk fought Aldo, he'd been a 50/50 fighter for 4 years. When Conor fought Aldo he'd been a peerless killer for a decade.

No, but look at all ALdo's fights. he NEVER fought like that.
Even Aldo said so (after the fight). He did nothing!
It happens. It was an off night by him.

Note: I am not saying he would have smashed Volk if he had a good night, not even saying he'd win. But it was visible how he was.. gun-shy.
Well of course a fighter is going to have an excuse for not winning or performing the way they'd want to, I would just argue that he underperformed because of Volkanvskis style and gameplan.
But we can interpret the fight differently and that's okay.

Well of course a fighter is going to have an excuse for not winning or performing the way they'd want to, I would just argue that he underperformed because of Volkanvskis style and gameplan.
But we can interpret the fight differently and that's okay.
Well, that might be true.
But Aldo's a veteran, who fought for years the who is who at that division. It is hard to simply think that Volk is THAT Great that he could do to Aldo something no one else had ever done before.

Besides, ALdo is not one to make excuses. If anything, he said he was feeling great, he had a great camp and was not injured at all. He simply couldn't explain why he was so passive.

So with that, I rather think that Aldo had an off day. It obviously had a lot to do with Volk, but I don't think it explains it all. I mean, even on his losses to Max or Marlon, Aldo put up offense. He did almost nothing against Volk.

As if this is even a debate. Volk is the weakest fw champ the UFC has ever had and both of the wins mentioned were uneventful stare offs with a few leg kicks and holding the opponent against the cage, whereas Conor's was a ko and an actual complete shut out

He didn't destroy him but he did win every round.
Ya, fair enough. leg kick and stuff...
I'm not impressed by his performances yet ;)
Can't wait for the rematch

Back