what is more important exercise for fighter

Is this not a troll thread? What's better for a fighter, crunches or squats? They aren't even remotely similar, and clearly you can do both.

Is this not a troll thread? What's better for a fighter, crunches or squats? They aren't even remotely similar, and clearly you can do both.
LOL This was what I was getting at with my posts on the first page...

LOL This was what I was getting at with my posts on the first page...

I kind of felt like you messed up that opportunity because you actually provided a very good sport specific exercise opposed to a random bodyweight movement.

I kind of felt like you messed up that opportunity because you actually provided a very good sport specific exercise opposed to a random bodyweight movement.

I would consider direct abdominal work as sports specific for fighting... But I could be wrong.

I would consider direct abdominal work as sports specific for fighting... But I could be wrong.

Meh.....

I would say a good comparison to your post would be heavy bag work or squats rather than crunches.

By the way, crunches are shit for working on your core. Your core is there to stabilize your spine against force from picking things up and such. Doing stuff like planks would be much better than crunches for that.

I know exactly what im talking about dude. A pro athlete doesnt have to do core work OR squat period(and in some sports some athletes notoriously dont even do strength work at all) because by definition they are strong enough to play the sport in the core and everywhere else(genetics). That said a 500 pound squatter or even 400 pound has a (much)stronger "core" than a 135 pound boxer that doesnt squat and only does ab work vs the 500 pound squatter that does no specific core work. If think that is wrong then you are the one who does not know what they are talking about.....if you have a rebuttal im more than willing to engage further but my guess is you do not.
http://startingstrength.com/articles/core_stability_rippetoe.pdf
A very relavent article but believe what ever you want...its a free world
Alright... Well, first off you replied: "Wrong" to his entire post which consisted of two parts; The first being that squats are good for GPP, but overrated for the "core"(again I think that the term core can be confusing). The second part was that max strenght was not a priority for boxers. I'm glad you agree on that.

To address the first part. Btw, not really a fair comparison to compare a 135lb boxer with what, a 200lb powerlifter? Why not a 200lbs gymnast? Anyway, I think it's important we try to define what "core strenght" means. I think we should seperate it into two categories. Stabilizing strenght and dynamic strenght.

A squat will work the "primary" spine stabilizators like the mm. multifidi, the transverse abdominals and the quadratus lumborum a lot. Contraction of the multifi will stiffen the spine up and the other muscles have a strong correlation with abdominal pressure as well. If we are talking bracing your core and anti flexion/rotation, squats, deadlifts and so forth are excellent. Much better than doing crunches or some shit. I agree. Which brings us to Rippetoes article.

He mentions both the squat, deadlift, bench, overhead AND weightlifting lifts. That is something else than just squats and a much more complete picture. I agree with him that if you want to stabilize the core, all those lifts are great. However one should be careful prescribing these exercises as the entire protocol (although with the inclusion of weightlifting it's getting there). Let's not delve too far into how most people have imbalances/compensatory patterns, even athletes (injuries/overuse) and how some exercises, like the powerlifts, in some cases exacerbates those. Let's just say that people need individual attention and that our bodies are different and that needs to be taken into consideration. Isolated work is always good.

Where things start to break down though is when moving on to the dynamic core functions. Yes it's true that the "core" is used to brace and protect, but it's also used to move through space and position your body, and in sports especially to twist, turn, flex or extend. This is where the powerlifts to a lesser extend works the rectus abdominals, obliques, spinae and even the dynamic contractions of the quadratos lumborum. Rippetoe is not addressing this, he is only focusing on core stabilization. Not to mention when things gets more dynamic we have to use muscles in different patterns/directions and with different leverage that might put a lot more demand on our synergist muscles at ROMs we are not used to. Add to that, that the co-ordination and demand for endurance is different, things starts to change.

I personally don't do crunches and I would always advice anyone who is capable to squat and deadlift, and perhaps OHP (responsibly). For athletes I would also advice them to do cleans at least. However, there are a lot of BW stuff, including different levers and variations thereof, that benefits the "core" in ways the powerlifts does not. Again, I won't go into the shoulder girdle and the many other areas that can be made stronger, and made healthier, with other exercises in ways the PL does not address, nor explosiveness and speed (Oly lifting is better in that regard, but still not he only option). This post is already too long lol. Also, I think unilateral work is important, especially in the lower body.

Sorry for the long ass post!

Last edited:
Right, like you know anything about what Thai fighters do... Go back to your mom's basement, keyboard dragon master!

b67.jpeg

Back