what is marcelo doing here

RibCrusher**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I love this move, but am not exactly sure what he is doing. Is this in any of his dvds or books or etc?

at about 53 secs into vid.

Deep half guard to the leg control and then just a stand-up sweep.

It's a pretty simple sweep that my instructor shows now and then. I don't know if there's a name for it. Marcelo works that position a lot because it's a good transition to X guard.

He calls it the Shin-in sweep I believe. Lots of videos on it at Mginaction.com

deep half guard sweep with the shin check out jeff glovers deep half guard dvd .

It's one of the many sweeps he teaches. You can get to it from sitting guard, xguard. Very high percentage sweep.

Crap, I didn't realize that he was going against freaking Aoki!! That was awesome.

It's a sweep using the shin to drive the trapped leg down. My instructor uses it on me all the time. I, however, suck at it.

It's a sweep using the shin to drive the trapped leg down. My instructor uses it on me all the time. I, however, suck at it.

It takes a while to get the hang of it. The biggest points marcelo makes on it, is that you have to make sure that the trapped leg never touches the floor and to rock back higher if your opponent is really fighting it. I use this sweep all the time, I freaking love it.

It's one of the many sweeps he teaches. You can get to it from sitting guard, xguard. Very high percentage sweep.

yes. I especially love the x-guard sweep which is very similiar to what marcelo did there

I love this move, but am not exactly sure what he is doing. Is this in any of his dvds or books or etc?

at about 53 secs into vid.

He calls it a shin-in sweep. There are a lot of videos on it at mginaction and it's in his X-Guard book. I'd have to go over his 1st and 3rd DVD set to be able to tell you if it's in there or not.

It takes a while to get the hang of it. The biggest points marcelo makes on it, is that you have to make sure that the trapped leg never touches the floor and to rock back higher if your opponent is really fighting it. I use this sweep all the time, I freaking love it.

You know, I think that's a big error I make. I let the trapped leg touch the floor. Duh! That kills all the pulling leverage! I also have a bad habit of keeping my bottom leg too high up. I've been taught to keep it down by the hand that's gripping the leg but I always forget.

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna try it out.

You know, I think that's a big error I make. I let the trapped leg touch the floor. Duh! That kills all the pulling leverage! I also have a bad habit of keeping my bottom leg too high up. I've been taught to keep it down by the hand that's gripping the leg but I always forget.

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna try it out.

Once you get the hang of it you'll be surprised at the amount of times you catch it. I've only been training BJJ for about 16 months but I've used this sweep on blue belts, purple belts and high level wrestlers. It's amazing how simple and effective it is!

One of my favorite sweeps from the deep half or X-guard.

I hit it all the time, even on higher belts.

Highly recommend.

Back