What is Hillary Clinton's Relationship to The Establishment

She's been rubbing shoulders with the movers and shakers up there for a very long time.

She will act on their behalf. No doubt about it.

She is pro establishment hence why I want to vote for her. Her only anti-establishment thing is that she wants to raise minimum wage.

I've PM'd a mod. Its not fair if every vote isn't counted.

Lol.

But Trump is definitely part of the establishment so being out for his own gain is the same thing as being generally pro-establishment, in terms of the policies he supports.

Is he part of the establishment? I could be wrong, but I don't think he's part of Wall Street or the military industrial complex and, from what I can tell of his bankruptcies, he's pretty much fleeced the establishment on a few occasions. I think the one thing he's been honest about when assessing himself is that he doesn't have the tendrils of the system running through him.

Is he part of the establishment? I could be wrong, but I don't think he's part of Wall Street or the military industrial complex and, from what I can tell of his bankruptcies, he's pretty much fleeced the establishment on a few occasions. I think the one thing he's been honest about when assessing himself is that he doesn't have the tendrils of the system running through him.

He's a guy who was born into great wealth, was on a long-running network TV show, has politicians come to his wedding, etc. Yes, he's definitely part of the establishment. Much more so than most people who are part of Wall Street or the MIC.

And in terms of policy, he's pushing a lot of pro-establishment positions (repeal the ACA, nothing should be done about climate change, opposes the Iran deal).

But Trump is definitely part of the establishment so being out for his own gain is the same thing as being generally pro-establishment, in terms of the policies he supports.

Your entire basis of argument on this establishment/anti-establishment issue has amounted to begging the question.

In the 21st century a guy like Ron Paul, who wants to legalize segregation, end the Fed, end SS and put currency on the gold standard is, by definition, "anti-establishment".

Revisit my Venn diagram example in the other thread. It is the best way to visualize and understand what constitutes the current establishment. And those two circles may not be in the same place 60 years from now. They certainly were not in the same places 60 years previous.

It should be self-evident that what it meant to be "anti-establishment" in the US in 1960 is different than what it will mean to be "anti-establishment" in 2016. The goal posts are always moving.

Your entire basis of argument on this establishment/anti-establishment issue has amounted to begging the question.

I don't think you know what "begging the question" means.

In the 21st century a guy like Ron Paul, who wants to legalize segregation, end the Fed, end SS and put currency on the gold standard is, by definition, "anti-establishment".

LOL! Ron Paul is one of the most extreme pro-establishment candidates we've had in recent years. He wants monetary policy to be far more pro-establishment, as you say, he wants to pay for massive cash giveaways to the rich (and particularly capital owners--and "rich capital owners" is a good definition of "The Establishment" in practical terms) by slashing the safety net. Etc.

Revisit my Venn diagram example in the other thread. It is the best way to visualize and understand what constitutes the current establishment.

This is the best way to visualize the current establishment:

55949665.0.jpg

It should be self-evident that what it meant to be "anti-establishment" in the US in 1960 is different than what it will mean to be "anti-establishment" in 2016. The goal posts are always moving.

In discussions with you, yes, the goal posts are always moving. The Establishment is what it has been for a long time.

Jack, here is a learning tool I was inspired to create for you after watching Sesame Street recently with my son.

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

* Progressive * Liberal * Anti-Establishment * Leftist

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
If you guessed this one is not like the others
>>>>>>>>>>>> Anti-Establishment

Then you're absolutely... Right!

Bump: let's try and get at least 100 votes.

Jack, the Mods assure me that they're working on the glitch that keeps your vote from showing.

Jack, the Mods assure me that they're working on the glitch that keeps your vote from showing.

What about the glitch that prevents you from making a serious argument or responding to one? I kind of definitively answered the question when you decided to go the poll-the-sheep route, no?

He's no troll...but I gotta go with Jack Savage.

If you define "anti-establishment" as being against The Establishment, clearly Clinton is anti-establishment. But I don't vote in polls here generally, and I didn't vote in this one.

Last edited:
I can think of 30 million reasons why she is part of the establishment.

Yeah... That one vote for "anti" was actually caused by my cat when she walked across my laptop keyboard. Obviously no rational human being would have made such a selection. :D

Back