What is Hillary Clinton's Relationship to The Establishment

Anung Un Rama

Idol of Millions
Platinum Member
Reaction score
There has been some recent debate in the WR about Hillary Clinton's relationship to The Establishment.

Some people are saying she is The Establishment/ Pro-Establishment
Some people are saying she is Anti-Establishment

The Establishment generally denotes a dominant group or elite that holds power or authority in a nation or organization. The Establishment may be a closed social group which selects its own members (as opposed to selection by merit or election) or specific entrenched elite structures, either in government or in specific institutions.
The American Sociological Association states that the term is often used by those protesting a small group that dominates a larger organization. For example, in 1968 a group of academics set up the "Sociology Liberation Movement" to repudiate the leadership of the American Sociological Association, which they referred to as the "Establishment in American sociology".[1]
In fact, any relatively small class or group of people having control can be referred to as The Establishment; and conversely, in the jargon of sociology, anyone who does not belong to The Establishment may be labelled an "outsider".[2][3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Establishment

The pop term "Anti-Establishment" in the United States[edit]
Individuals who were anti-establishment often spoke of "fighting the man", "selling out to the Establishment", and "tearing down the Establishment." Many well renowned activists and activist groups innovated great changes to society by standing up to "the Establishment", including the Symbionese Liberation Army, Black Panther Party, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Malvina Reynolds, Howard Zinn, Noam Chomsky, Public Enemy, John Lennon, K-Rino, Immortal Technique, Anti-Flag, Rage Against the Machine, Terminator X, Gil-Scott Heron, dead prez, Timothy Leary, Paris, Lupe Fiasco, Grateful Dead among others.
The "Establishment" to these, and these anti-establishment activists was not simply the people of the older generation. Dictionary.com defines the establishment as "the existing power structure in society; the dominant groups in society and their customs or institutions; institutional authority",[7] Merriam-Webster defines the words as "a group of social, economic, and political leaders who form a ruling class"[8] and The Free Dictionary defines it as "A group of people holding most of the power and influence in a government or society."[9] Social critic and "people's" historian Howard Zinn defines the establishment as "Republicans, Democrats, newspapers [and] television" in his book, A People's History of the United States.[10] Later Zinn calls out the "huge military establishment" which one could assume is part of his definition of the "Establishment." In a chapter of the book that expresses Zinn's political theory for the future he defines "the Establishment [as] that uneasy club of business executives, generals, and politicos."[11]
Later in Zinn's book is a reprinted quote from Samuel Huntington, who was a Harvard University political science professor and White House political consultant, that describes the establishment and the coalition a president should establish upon being elected:
"...the President act...with the support and cooperation of key individuals and groups in the executive office, the federal bureaucracy, Congress, and the more important businesses, banks, law firms, foundations, and media, which constitute the private sector's "Establishment."...The day after [the President's]...election, the size of his majority is almost

I sense sexual tension between you two. Very Trump/Fiorina.

She's a piece of trash, can you add that to the poll?

She's always been Pro-Establishment and grew in being part of the Establishment.

Every politician who has any chance of being a president is pro establishment

Bill got elected over 20 years ago and she's been a made woman ever since.

Istablishment.

I could see the establishment taking Hillary behind the woodshed for all the things she has done with Bengazi, and the classified email info. But since she is the second coming of the Hindu God Kali, she will not go down without a fight. She is so power hungry, they might have to kill her.

It's either gonna go real good or real bad for Hillary. I don't know witch.< pun intended

My vote, I don't know.

she thinks she owns the establishment

Based on a couple of threads there is at least 1 poster who thinks otherwise.

And the only other people I've ever encountered who likewise consider Hillary "anti-establishment" are some extreme right-wing, talk radio loons. Ironic, given said poster's identity and ideology.

Thanks for the poll.

She's more establishment than Bernie, but less establishment than a lot of the Republicans.

American politics look insane to an outsider because there are so few degrees of difference between your left and your right. They're virtually indistinguishable in the eyes of residents of any other first-world nation, but you nuts will froth at the mouth crowing for another revolution because of one person, but will point to a nearly identical person as a positive alternative.

She sticks it to the man, if you know what I mean...

14-0 so far is more agreement than I've ever seen here on anything.

She's more establishment than Bernie, but less establishment than a lot of the Republicans.

American politics look insane to an outsider because there are so few degrees of difference between your left and your right. They're virtually indistinguishable in the eyes of residents of any other first-world nation, but you nuts will froth at the mouth crowing for another revolution because of one person, but will point to a nearly identical person as a positive alternative.

Where are you from JoeyD? I thought you were 'merican?
And give 3 examples of Republicans who are less establishment than Clinton?
I agree with your position for the most part.

14-0 so far is more agreement than I've ever seen here on anything.

14-0-1

I think she wants to be pro establisment or wants the establishment to back her. She will do anything, I mean anything for power. But I don't know that they will pick her.

Like I said, earlier, it's gonna go well or it's gonna get real bad for Hillary.

I could see the establishment taking Hillary behind the woodshed for all the things she has done with Bengazi, and the classified email info. But since she is the second coming of the Hindu God Kali, she will not go down without a fight. She is so power hungry, they might have to kill her.

It's either gonna go real good or real bad for Hillary. I don't know witch.< pun intended

My vote, I don't know.

When she dances with joy after having slain all of her enemies, will Bill throw himself under her feet to save the worlds from destruction?

Where are you from JoeyD? I thought you were 'merican?

Canadian, but have spent a great deal of time in America over the past 15 years.

And give 3 examples of Republicans who are less establishment than Clinton?
I agree with your position for the most part.

When I say she's more establishment than most Republicans I don't mean to say that there are Republicans less establishment than her, I mean that there are a bunch of Republicans in this race that I don't know anything about. I didn't want to make a blanket statement when I'm pretty ignorant about several of them.

Canadian, but have spent a great deal of time in America over the past 15 years.

When I say she's more establishment than most Republicans I don't mean to say that there are Republicans less establishment than her, I mean that there are a bunch of Republicans in this race that I don't know anything about. I didn't want to make a blanket statement when I'm pretty ignorant about several of them.

Fair enough. There might very well be some out there, I thought you may have had some in mind.

Back