What is functional Strength ?

Strength has more of a carry over to grappling than striking. In striking, height is more of a dominant attribute. I'm not saying strength gains doesn't help at all, but the benefits tie in more to grappling

I agree. And just being able to kickbox "explosively" in my words hitting hard and fast at the same time. Basicaly kickboxing conditioning. But I guarantee strength benefits kickboxing too, obviously, however it does take some recovery away from kickboxing itself, all depends how much time you put in and how much you recover so to say.

Functional strength is a redundant term. See also:

Spendable money
Edible food
Breathable Oxygen
Wearable clothes
Visible colors

These are all terrible analogies, misquoted, or both.

I study bachelor's sports and leasure management in an university and we had a gym training course and the teacher instructed us a functional training session. I was so freaking confused. We did some viable stuff like inverted rows and different planks not that I'm categorizing them as functional or something. But then we did stuff like we did leg extension and db overhead tricep extension literally at the same time. Then we did one arm lat pulldowns and one arm db press so that when you pull down with another arm you push with the other. Also shizz like db curls on a balance board. The teach said that this is stuff that happens in real life and I kept thinking "your life must be bat snit crazy".

I heard Tiger got hurt because of his training. I heard he wanted to be regarded like other athletes. Like basketball and football. I don't know what he was doing. But Tiger was freaking jacked around the time he got hurt.
twoodsmuscle.jpg
He was doing coke n hookers

I agree. And just being able to kickbox "explosively" in my words hitting hard and fast at the same time. Basicaly kickboxing conditioning. But I guarantee strength benefits kickboxing too, obviously, however it does take some recovery away from kickboxing itself, all depends how much time you put in and how much you recover so to say.
It depends on how you periodize and plan it out. "Off season" or not in camp, I focus alot more of lifting and in training I might drop the volume down. In camp I drop lifting to a 3-4 day strength training template, and mid camp to the end (4 weeks out) I drop it to 2 days.
It also depends on your eating and recovery, these days I maintain weight all camp and make my cuts strictly with water and thats all done on the final week. Dieting down on a deficit, all camp, my energy levels were much lower and of course didn't do well with the volume of lifting, conditioning, and skillwork.

Last edited:
Functional strength is a redundant term. See also:

Spendable money
Edible food
Breathable Oxygen
Wearable clothes
Visible colors
and so on

People have tried to make the point that there is something separate in the concepts of "strength" and "functional strength" for a bit now. It's a fad term as well as being meaningless. What they seem to mean is that if you want to lift a 100 pound bag of potatoes in a barn, you're better off building "functional strength" by lifting potato bags and potato-bag-related items in a barn than training with compound barbell movements in the gym.

Well, that's true to an extent. But training to lift a certain something or to perform any certain action is training, not strength development. There's a reason an Olympic Lifter can dunk a basketball. It's explosive power generated by their strength, which they trained without specificity geared towards dunking a basketball, but guess what? That same strength gives them other abilities.

The interesting thing is this: Strength has a better carryover than training. If I make myself stronger, regardless of how I do it, that increased strength improves my ability level in anything I try to accomplish. There's no activity that isn't improved upon by getting stronger. The converse isn't necessarily true. For example, getting stronger may make someone's golf game improve, but working on golf doesn't necessarily make me a better rower, or bicyclist, or shot putter.

Improving strength makes anyone more functional. Training to do some movement or function improves your ability to perform the function. These terms don't need mixing, nor do all the gains come from specific training (a shot putter training just by throwing or a marathoner just running marathons, etc.).
No there is such thing as functional strength as in functional muscle vs bodybuilder/water muscle.
Here's functional strength

vs Water muscle
122.png

While bodybuilder is bigger hes not stronger and cant do as many pullups or same functional stuff in real world.
Thats what functional strength mean.

No there is such thing as functional strength as in functional muscle vs bodybuilder/water muscle.
vs Water muscle
While bodybuilder is bigger hes not stronger and cant do as many pullups or same functional stuff in real world.

No. No it doesn't. This isn't a discussion about muscle size.

It depends on how you periodize and plan it out. "Off season" or not in camp, I focus alot more of lifting and in training I might drop the volume down. In camp I drop lifting to a 3-4 day strength training template, and mid camp to the end (4 weeks out) I drop it to 2 days.
It also depends on your eating and recovery, these days I maintain weight all camp and make my cuts strictly with water and thats all done on the final week. Dieting down on a deficit, all camp, my energy levels were much lower and of course didn't do well with the volume of lifting, conditioning, and skillwork.

fighter tag ? Or you grapple ?

vs Water muscle
122.png

Water Muscle ? Aren´t everyones muscles 80% water, 20% protein ?

I think he can squat bench press and deadlift more. Also functional in the real world, so there is functional in the fake world ? Or unfunctional in the fake world ? Like doing curls online ?

vs Water muscle
122.png

They got Ammy tags
I actually never thought of applying for one, despite mainly joining for the training discussion, the majority of the time here is spend bs-ing around the berry. Besides, I'd rather keep anonymity. If folks irl saw what I post in the berry, it might work against me.

Back