What is functional Strength ?

only downside to powerlifting itself is you "Might" risk injury, deadlifts and squats "can" be dangerous. "if" you are pushing yourself to the max.

And if you follow a nutrition philosophy that only cares bout strength gains and not esthetic health or overall fitness, meaning at 250 pounds you´ll be stronger but your cardio will suck from the excess bodyfat which translate to bad martial arts training since it´s a martial arts forum however of course most people don´t do martial arts, they are fans, they watch and post. If everyone was just respectfull.

Also am I the only one who thinks a slight portion of sherdog powerlifting bros got the delusion they can win street fights based of being phisically strong ? It helps , 100% sure, but it´s 1 factor, you still might APSOLUTELY suck at fighting.

you can eat lots food and still be ripped

and you can have your own goals

I'm glad you're doing your 10 and 20 pushups and all, and I don't know your goals or presume to predict what you're going for when you mean "ripped" -- I assume the standard "Brad Pitt in Fight Club."

Well, the first rule in S&C is that we don't talk about Brad Pitt in Fight Club. Your goals should be lofty, and include being awesome. By which I mean strong. If you want to talk about being the next Bruce Lee, or diet specifically, there's a subforum for that.

Dude, do what you can, I'm all for it. Better than sitting on the couch.

I can do sets with 80 kg bench press, 8 reps. When I lifted regulary, last year before being burried by work and night shifts, my max was 125 kg once, think I slightly tore something, lol, could´ve dyined, didn´t control it, wasn´t aware I got it up, like if I let it slip it´d smashed my face, "friends" at the gym hyped me into doing it.

But push ups done CORRECTLY at 106 kg bw are strenous. Even for the skinny guys at boxing, within a heavy training session, lots excercises, cardio, doing a bunch of sets of push ups is strenous. Now if you´re 5´8 (little bit shorter arms and so way to the ground) and weight 185 pounds in shape yeah it can be much easier for you, especially if your workloud and volume is not that big, and your rests powerlifting style long.

only downside to powerlifting itself is you "Might" risk injury, deadlifts and squats "can" be dangerous. "if" you are pushing yourself to the max.

And if you follow a nutrition philosophy that only cares bout strength gains and not esthetic health or overall fitness, meaning at 250 pounds you´ll be stronger but your cardio will suck from the excess bodyfat which translate to bad martial arts training since it´s a martial arts forum however of course most people don´t do martial arts, they are fans, they watch and post. If everyone was just respectfull.

Also am I the only one who thinks a slight portion of sherdog powerlifting bros got the delusion they can win street fights based of being phisically strong ? It helps , 100% sure, but it´s 1 factor, you still might APSOLUTELY suck at fighting.

It's two different things, skill and strength. This has been debated endlessly since I was a wee lurker here. There's been guys at the top level of MMA with little strength and and abundance of skill (Royce Gracie, etc.) and the other way around (Bob Sapp, etc.) but it's best to have a bit of both, isn't it?

Even fat isn't a limiting factor for everyone (Roy Nelson, etc.)

And powerlifting, yeah you can get injured. Same with most sports. Tiger Woods is all kinds of fucked up from golf (and banging whores).

I'm glad you're doing your 10 and 20 pushups and all, and I don't know your goals or presume to predict what you're going for when you mean "ripped" -- I assume the standard "Brad Pitt in Fight Club."

Well, the first rule in S&C is that we don't talk about Brad Pitt in Fight Club. Your goals should be lofty, and include being awesome. By which I mean strong. If you want to talk about being the next Bruce Lee, or diet specifically, there's a subforum for that.

See bodybuilding or esthetical goals are allowed in the diet forum but not here, paradoxical, it´s 1 forum.

Being a obese powerlifter, strong, is allowed though that would never work in mma.

I´d incoorporate powerlifting excercises before bodybuilding isolation burn out excercises for martial arts too, however eating everything in sight is not good for mma.

My goal is not being ripped, well that´s a goal too, cause it means I´m super fit ready and hard working. I´m into kickboxing mostly, love watching mma, and health and fitness power goals, just getting super fit, trough all and any means, both strength cardio speed and fight specific means.

I don´t read bodybuilding forums at all. Oh my God they are..... like in their underwear, this one guy is bending over on facebook showing his hanstrings, dude not on my timeline. And they compensate for something when they get addicted to juice and never quit and get addicted to being big. But there´s of course good things bout that scene, the esthetic, the dieting, the motivation, the way they build a business and make themselves a brand.

I can do sets with 80 kg bench press, 8 reps. When I lifted regulary, last year before being burried by work and night shifts, my max was 125 kg once, think I slightly tore something, lol, could´ve dyined, didn´t control it, wasn´t aware I got it up, like if I let it slip it´d smashed my face, "friends" at the gym hyped me into doing it.

But push ups done CORRECTLY at 106 kg bw are strenous. Even for the skinny guys at boxing, within a heavy training session, lots excercises, cardio, doing a bunch of sets of push ups is strenous. Now if you´re 5´8 (little bit shorter arms and so way to the ground) and weight 185 pounds in shape yeah it can be much easier for you, especially if your workloud and volume is not that big, and your rests powerlifting style long.

You can't really generalize like that, you don't know my leverages, body composition, etc.

But yeah I'm a lot stronger than you. Which is no big deal because if you decided to get serious and lift you'd probably surpass me in a matter of months.

See bodybuilding or esthetical goals are allowed in the diet forum but not here, paradoxical, it´s 1 forum.

Being a obese powerlifter, strong, is allowed though that would never work in mma...

maxresdefault.jpg

This is Larry "Wheels" and Stan Efferding. Kind of idols of mine in powerlifting. This is why you can't just stereotype.

It's two different things, skill and strength. This has been debated endlessly since I was a wee lurker here. There's been guys at the top level of MMA with little strength and and abundance of skill (Royce Gracie, etc.) and the other way around (Bob Sapp, etc.) but it's best to have a bit of both, isn't it?

And powerlifting, yeah you can get injured. Same with most sports. Tiger Woods is all kinds of fucked up from golf (and banging whores).

powerlifting is more risky then golf or most sports, if you try to squat 500 pounds or deadlift then yeah , ouch.

But it´s awesome and amazing and inspiring, I like youtube powerlifters, like the Leeman dude just sherbro lifters who flame and are like tapout douches "I will use my functional strength ot rip your head off you train with teh pinky bodybuilding weights" kinda annoy me.

Roy Nelson get´s held back by his fat, it scientifically is not healthy and decreases your performance. He is successful despite his fat not cause of it.
His success comes from his overal fitness, underneath the fat his muscles are strong and his cardiovascular system is conditioned. His BJJ black belt jiujitsu. His iron chin and not giving up. And his effective boxing, a HW who knows how to trade and land on the button.

Last edited:
You can't really generalize like that, you don't know my leverages, body composition, etc.

But yeah I'm a lot stronger than you. Which is no big deal because if you decided to get serious and lift you'd probably surpass me in a matter of months.

Didn´t you say 5´8 ?

I don´t think people naturaly get much stronger that fast, especially if I get the time I´ll do lots of kickboxing, I won´t focus on the big 3 lifts.

It doesn´t bother me if you are stronger at lifting weights, good for you.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is Larry "Wheels" and Stan Efferding. Kind of idols of mine in powerlifting. This is why you can't just stereotype.

I didn´t say all powerlifters are fat, I just said that being a fat powerlifter is not critizied here though it´s bad for mma, but hey to each his own goals. I´m not tall for my weight and totally could see myself eating all day and getting huge, but I don´t got the reach for HW and would hate to lose all the fat eventually and your carido get´s real bad, I remember when I was 84 kg vs now 106 kg. I already am 106 kg without ANY effort to eat a lot, it´s a habbit. If I tried I´d be 120 kg.

Didn´t you say 5´8 ?

I don´t think people naturaly get much stronger that fast, especially if I get the time I´ll do lots of kickboxing, I won´t focus on the big 3 lifts.

It doesn´t bother me if you are stronger at lifting weights, good for you.

That's the thing, I got strong lifting weights, but I'd bet I'm not just "stronger at lifting weights." That's functional strength BS, like I've said.

I heard Tiger got hurt because of his training. I heard he wanted to be regarded like other athletes. Like basketball and football. I don't know what he was doing. But Tiger was freaking jacked around the time he got hurt.
twoodsmuscle.jpg

powerlifting is more risky then golf or most sports, if you try to squat 500 pounds or deadlift then yeah , ouch.

But it´s awesome and amazing and inspiring, I like youtube powerlifters, like the Leeman dude just sherbro lifters who flame and are like tapout douches "I will use my functional strength ot rip your head off you train with teh pinky bodybuilding weights" kinda annoy me.

Roy Nelson get´s held back buy his fat, it scientifically is not healthy and decreases your performance. He is successful despite his fat not cause of it.
His success comes from his overal fitness, undernet the fat his muscles are strong and his cardiovascular system is conditioned. His BJJ black belt jiujitsu. His iron chin and not giving up. And his effective boxing, a HW who knows how to trade and land on the button.
Roy Nelson is a great athlete. All that fat on him can fool people.

I heard Tiger got hurt because of his training. I heard he wanted to be regarded like other athletes. Like basketball and football. I don't know what he was doing. But Tiger was freaking jacked around the time he got hurt.
twoodsmuscle.jpg

Yeah I don't know what he was doing to get hurt either. I know I heard he got his bench up over 300. I think it was swing-related but I can't say so with any authority.

My point is, you can lay on the couch and die of a heart attack on the shitter trying to crap out a gas station burrito. Life itself is dangerous. It's not an argument against powerlifting or Oly lifting *done correctly*. Now the way they do it in Crossfit, don't get me started. But hey, strength is awesome. Go back 40 years, you'd never see a jacked golfer.

That's the thing, I got strong lifting weights, but I'd bet I'm not just "stronger at lifting weights." That's functional strength BS, like I've said.

then everything is functional strength, your body can´t move or excert energy without advancing itself one way or the other

Yeah I don't know what he was doing to get hurt either. I know I heard he got his bench up over 300. I think it was swing-related but I can't say so with any authority.

My point is, you can lay on the couch and die of a heart attack on the shitter trying to crap out a gas station burrito. Life itself is dangerous. It's not an argument against powerlifting or Oly lifting *done correctly*. Now the way they do it in Crossfit, don't get me started. But hey, strength is awesome. Go back 40 years, you'd never see a jacked golfer.

Well I think spine and knee and hip injuries are comonplace in powerlifitng, to each his own, big difference if you do it as hobby or call it passion or selfdevelopement or if you do it competitive, competitive imo is always dangerous.

If you do it non competitive then if you warm up properly and use according weights and form you still will fuck yourself up, lol joke, I don´t know, maybe it´s very safe if you do it right, but I see people who are good at lifting still injure themselves. And when I do kickboxing I sure as hell can injure myself too.

My dl and squat technique is so shitty, never bothered effort to learn it, that I did hurt my back and hip from dl, but never during squats. Bench press never hurts me, only once didn´t warm up, I was young, started with working sets and my wrist hurt for a week.

I can´t actually dl anyways, got finger cartilage damage.

If I was a golfer, I would not powerlift. You just get too tight in the hips, torso and shoulders. With powerlifting there is just so much mobility you have to constantly work on because you're sore the next day. In golf you don't want overly big and strong prime movers, you need your body to be in proportion.

olympic lifts or olympic lift variations are probably great for golfers. So are mobility workouts, balance. I would think sprints, plyos and medicine ball throws would be helpful too.

But mobility, proprioception and balance is key in that sport.

And most important, your psychological game.

why do powerlifters on SD always mention the color pink in regards to weights to emasculate bodybuilders and people who don´t worship deadlifts and squats

have fun with your messed up back and big gut

:D
Nah, bro. At my bowling alley, the pink balls are literally the lightest balls and are for kids learning to bowl and for feeble women.

It's just how it is.

Nah, bro. At my bowling alley, the pink balls are literally the lightest balls and are for kids learning to bowl and for feeble women.

It's just how it is.

the sticky used to be something like if you wanna be a skinny f###gt and lift the pinky weights

and it said to eat a jumbo pizza and cover it in cooking oil and eat 5 mcdonald sanddwiches with extra mayo and "You will not get fat, you will get stronger"
what does that have to do with mma in the first place, pure powerlifting philosophy

Who needs deadlifts to go bowling duh

I think there are a lot of wrestlers in mma. So powerlifting is popular with American wrestlers.

It's not as popular with boxers.

But it did sort of turn into a cult of powerlifting in here. And it would get pretty venomous here if you didn't follow that line.
Strength has more of a carry over to grappling than striking. In striking, height is more of a dominant attribute. I'm not saying strength gains doesn't help at all, but the benefits tie in more to grappling

Last edited:
Back