What is functional Strength ?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Yugo King, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Cmart

Cmart Aspiring Milo

Functional strength is a redundant term. See also:

Spendable money
    Edible food
    Breathable Oxygen
    Wearable clothes
    Visible colors
    and so on

People have tried to make the point that there is something separate in the concepts of "strength" and "functional strength" for a bit now. It's a fad term as well as being meaningless. What they seem to mean is that if you want to lift a 100 pound bag of potatoes in a barn, you're better off building "functional strength" by lifting potato bags and potato-bag-related items in a barn than training with compound barbell movements in the gym.

Well, that's true to an extent. But training to lift a certain something or to perform any certain action is training, not strength development. There's a reason an Olympic Lifter can dunk a basketball. It's explosive power generated by their strength, which they trained without specificity geared towards dunking a basketball, but guess what? That same strength gives them other abilities.

The interesting thing is this: Strength has a better carryover than training. If I make myself stronger, regardless of how I do it, that increased strength improves my ability level in anything I try to accomplish. There's no activity that isn't improved upon by getting stronger. The converse isn't necessarily true. For example, getting stronger may make someone's golf game improve, but working on golf doesn't necessarily make me a better rower, or bicyclist, or shot putter.

Improving strength makes anyone more functional. Training to do some movement or function improves your ability to perform the function. These terms don't need mixing, nor do all the gains come from specific training (a shot putter training just by throwing or a marathoner just running marathons, etc.).

Jack Handy jr and DrBdan like this.
  2. Yugo King

Yugo King You are overrated on Sherdog Double Yellow Card

I only disagree that training doesn´t carry over to other sports

3. Yugo King

In real life you never do crunches either

good explanation why compound movements are better then isolation. I prefer them too. Only do isolation if I´m scared compounds will hurt my joinths that day in the gym

4. Cmart

Cmart Aspiring Milo

Oh, it may a bit if sport 1 and sport 2 have the same elements, like throwing a ball accurately. But try to explain to me how learning to do the breaststroke efficiently carries over to a good soccer kick. Strength training is always a benefit.

5. Yugo King

I think you don´t do sports other then weightlifting for strength and therefore overrate it to overrate yourself.

When you play any sport you get more athletic and learn to use your whole body, hence there is carry over.

Facts - friends who are generally good at sports and friends who are generally bad at sports. The athletic football player will do better at basketball then the video game "nerd" or couch potatoe.

Killed you breh with facts

;) All good I´m playin

6. Cmart

Cmart Aspiring Milo

To say that "functional strength" is a nonsense term isn't to overrate strength. And there isn't universal carryover from one trained skill to another, necessarily. Sometimes one actually gets in the way of another, like softball/golf.

7. Yugo King

yes being good at a sport DIRECTLY carrys over to ALL other sports as you are learning to use your body, brain function increases and athleticism. It isn´t a 100% skill carry over as it´s different rules but it´s not wasted.

Nobody claimed your first sentence.

Much love /

Yugo King

8. Cmart

Cmart Aspiring Milo

That's just not true. But I get that there's a lot of bro-science and placebo here, so believe as you wish. Have a good time bowling to get better at badminton.

9. Yugo King

shall I deadlift to bowl better ?

10. Cmart

Cmart Aspiring Milo

If you want to stop using the little pink balls, yes.

11. Yugo King

Bowling for Badminton is clearly better then nothing for Badminton. Hand Eye Coordiantion ect you´re using your body, you picked the worst example of the two most unreleated sports.

12. Yugo King

why do powerlifters on SD always mention the color pink in regards to weights to emasculate bodybuilders and people who don´t worship deadlifts and squats

have fun with your messed up back and big gut

:D

13. Yugo King

and you can´t fight you just lift weights, regardless if you post on sherdog, it´s fitness it´s not fighting that you know to do

14. Cmart

Cmart Aspiring Milo

Weak. Literally. Your sad stereotypes and misconceptions, your assumptions and outdated myths.

15. Cmart

Cmart Aspiring Milo

Let me know when you'd like to stop by my gym, I have an open invitation and mat time for anyone who wants to roll with me. Seriously, PM me if you want to put your money where your keyboard is.

JR478 likes this.
  16. Yugo King

Organize a fight with me if I´m that weak ?

Also your assumption is that I use pinky little balls.

You are right but didn´t win any arguemnt, you´re right just cause you want to be right.

#bless

17. Yugo King

what´s your training background, your height and weight ? Location USA ?

18. Cmart

Cmart Aspiring Milo

I'm 5'8" and walk around at 185lbs. I'm just a dumb powerlifter, which of course means I'm not a fighter, right? Consider me "untrained" then. I'm in the Duluth, MN area.

19. Cmart

Cmart Aspiring Milo

Honestly I think we're in agreement that "functional strength" is a garbage term. I think you're just trolling me for something to do. It's all good.

20. ripskater

ripskater Guest

Functional strength would be the result of training your whole body to work as one. Versus focusing on individual body parts and ignoring others.

gspieler likes this.