What is Dirty Boxing?

Prior

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hello there,
I have always thought that dirty boxing was the name given to some

Generally used to refer to throwing short punches from the clinch, particularly when holding the back of your opponents head, eg. the Matt Hamil fight at TUF finale last weekend was a pretty good example where he controlled the other guy with one hand while wailing away with the other.

SmashiusClay said:
Generally used to refer to throwing short punches from the clinch, particularly when holding the back of your opponents head, eg. the Matt Hamil fight at TUF finale last weekend was a pretty good example where he controlled the other guy with one hand while wailing away with the other.
Thanks for your answer man. I don't have SpikeTV and I don't watch TUF (so I missed that fight), but another good example would be Frye vs Takayama :icon_chee .

Think wrestling + boxing (not on the ground)
Like Randy Couture

its basically named that because its illegal in boxing rules so its dirty. but i rather call it clinch boxing

It consists mainly of holding and hitting, but has many more features than that :)

crooked said:
its basically named that because its illegal in boxing rules so its dirty. but i rather call it clinch boxing

Nah, dirty boxing sounds much better :icon_twis

crooked said:

Bingo!

k1 man said:
Think wrestling + boxing (not on the ground)
Like Randy Couture
Couture/Liddell 1, one of the best examples of dirty boxing ive seen in a fight

Read Championship Boxing by Ned Beaumont. All is in the book. Or watch Mark Hatmaker in Extreme Boxing.

Everything aforementioned+forearm strikes (obviously illegal in boxing).

Jens Pulver uses it quite well at times too.

The best example I can remember is Randy Couture v Rizzo 1 and Couture v Belfort 1.

Randy has a few drills and demos for what he uses on his first instructional series (I think it was released circa 2000)

Have you ever seen the three stooges? Well thats dirty boxing! When you pull on the other guys nose, bop him on the head or poke him in the eyes.

Can I say the dirty boxing is the best method for striker against wrestler in MMA match?Because I think striker often lost in MMA match when they were against wrestler.

I love clinch sparring, even better when you add in elbows and knees in addition to the punches.

But yea...punching from a standing clinch position.

Fighting from the thai clinch, such as punches elbows and knees at very close range.

lol, this thread is four years old, I'm sure the guy understands dirty boxing.

Back