What is Dana talking about.

Whoa...I just thought he went down for rape (athough that is terrible too)!??! Murder as well??

Technically he just went down for torture (as the statute of limitations had passed for the gang rape, forced sodomy and the other crimes he was charged with) but he then murdered someone in prison. I should note that I'm not sure if he's been convicted of that yet so it's not legally proven.

So, as funny as him stripping off and running into the cage after Kimo beat up Royce, gassing himself out by hauling a cross on his back to the ring, taking all those nut-shots from Keith Hackney ord wearing the leopard print thong for his bout with Yusuke Imamura were at the time, I struggle to find the humour in it now.

True story:

I've partied with Tim a bunch of times. He's a goof and does not have an intimidation aura about him. I'm literally half his size and if I didn't know who he was I wouldn't think he could handle me or himself in a fight.

Him and Trent Cole(Eagles) are boys and nuts when they get out and together

There's actually a little bit of worth to that. The first is that it's somewhat clever wordplay in that "Ruas" translates to "Street" in Portuguese. The second is that Ruas basically made his reputation through street fighting and semi-official gym challenge matches as opposed to official contests (such as the infamous Rickson vs Duarte beach fight).

Regardless any and everything LOL worthy about MMA is topped by the Shine LW GP. I'm not sure I've ever had more fun or shaken my head in bewilderment watching any other combat sports event in my life.
Whoa you sure know your old school MMA

I remeber Hugo Duarte got a lot hype prior his UFC debut and almost literally got steamrolled, same with Eugenio Tadeu

Back then it was easier for Brazilians to lie about their beach fights in order to impress the Americans

I remeber Hugo Duarte got a lot hype prior his UFC debut and almost literally got steamrolled,

Duarte was the main representative of Lutre Livre (outside of perhaps Ruas but he had branched off by then) and as such had a reputation. Whether that reputation was deserved or not is another matter; this was a time before camera phones (or even common video cameras) and when most of your "bouts" are street fights and/or gym matches it's hard to get a clear picture. Lutre Livre was seen as BJJ's main rival, Royce's BJJ had torn through the UFC therefore Lutre Livre fighters had to be good right?

Right?

Duarte was also a bit unlucky in the two high profile opponents he faced. Tank may be a joke now but at the time he was a huge powerful (if crude) puncher with solid wrestling, a good chin, decent stamina and actually was effective at transitioning between the phases of MMA. Duarte found himself outmuscled and smashed to pieces. He then faced Kerr who in 1998 was coming to the peak of his powers and developing the submission game that would make him the best sub-grappler in the world till Arona came along.

same with Eugenio Tadeu

Tadeu had some of the Lutre Livre hype but also had the "benefit" of his farcical NC with Renzo at Pentagon Combat when the fans stormed the cage.

Useless trivia of the day; if not for the riot at Pentagon Combat ADCC may never have existed as the premier sub-grappling tournament. Tahnoon Bin Zayed Al Nahyan absolutely loved BJJ and wanted to be involved with it; but in those days BJJ was essentially a complete martial art which also included striking. He funded Pentagon Combat and if it had progressed he likely would have kept his interest there. It was only when the riot struck that he decided to concentrate on the sub-grappling aspect and fund a tournament in the somewhat less chaotic arenas of Abu Dhabi.

Back then it was easier for Brazilians to lie about their beach fights in order to impress the Americans

The UFC was desperate to find their next Brazilian hero and never quite did (at least then). Even Ismail was less than impressive in his UFC bout. Almost every event included Bruce Beck wondering whether this latest Brazilian would be "the next Royce".

That said, massaging your history wasn't something limited to Brazilians. Kimo claimed to represent TKD and Goodridge Kuk Sool Won when they entered the Octagon. Kimo was paid by the TKD club to represent them and Goodridge showed up to the Kuk Sool Won gym in his area, beat up their guy who wanted to enter the UFC, was made an honorary black belt, had one training session and then advertised the gym.

That said my personal favourite was Thomas Ramirez, the undefeated victor of 200 streetfights. Perhaps we should have known something was wrong when he was listed as 6'1'' but 410lbs... and trust me it wasn't muscle. We knew something was wrong when he was knocked out in eight seconds by a Don Frye jab. Not knocked down, not rocked, not even badly hurt and curling up in a ball to avoid punishment. Genuinely out cold.

Dana White gets everything wrong...

Duarte was the main representative of Lutre Livre (outside of perhaps Ruas but he had branched off by then) and as such had a reputation. Whether that reputation was deserved or not is another matter; this was a time before camera phones (or even common video cameras) and when most of your "bouts" are street fights and/or gym matches it's hard to get a clear picture. Lutre Livre was seen as BJJ's main rival, Royce's BJJ had torn through the UFC therefore Lutre Livre fighters had to be good right?

The UFC was desperate to find their next Brazilian hero and never quite did (at least then). Even Ismail was less than impressive in his UFC bout. Almost every event included Bruce Beck wondering whether this latest Brazilian would be "the next Royce".

That said, massaging your history wasn't something limited to Brazilians. Kimo claimed to represent TKD and Goodridge Kuk Sool Won when they entered the Octagon. Kimo was paid by the TKD club to represent them and Goodridge showed up to the Kuk Sool Won gym in his area, beat up their guy who wanted to enter the UFC, was made an honorary black belt, had one training session and then advertised the gym.

That said my personal favourite was Thomas Ramirez, the undefeated victor of 200 streetfights. Perhaps we should have known something was wrong when he was listed as 6'1'' but 410lbs... and trust me it wasn't muscle. We knew something was wrong when he was knocked out in eight seconds by a Don Frye jab. Not knocked down, not rocked, not even badly hurt and curling up in a ball to avoid punishment. Genuinely out cold.

They almost had their next Brazilian hero with Vitor Belfort...and for a time being it looked liked they did...Vitor was fucking dynamite...not just beating people but destroying them, big names too.

And how do you know that about Goodridge? I always thought he was legit in Kuk Sool Won. LOL, didn't know the back history on that.

And I was just about the bring up the Don Frye fight with the guy who was undefeated in street fights and "liked to slam his opponents on the ground." My brothers and I were laughign our asses off when he was out cold by a jab...my brother had a theory that the UFC needed a last second replacement and found one in the back alleys.

They almost had their next Brazilian hero with Vitor Belfort...and for a time being it looked liked they did...Vitor was fucking dynamite...not just beating people but destroying them, big names too.

Indeed... Telligman, Ferrozo and Tank were all pretty notable names for the time.

It's a sad example of Vitor's wasted talent that he's still basically living off that UFC 12-13 run (with the additional demolition of Wandy). His time in Pride was horrible... although he picked up good wins (Herring is still arguably his best win), he did so through pretty awful to watch LNP... and it was only really his 2007-2009 run (notably the demolition jobs on Lindland and Franklin)... so a decade or more later... where he ever came close to capturing that essence again.

And how do you know that about Goodridge? I always thought he was legit in Kuk Sool Won. LOL, didn't know the back history on that.

Goodridge gave an interview about it to Sherdog ages back. It appears to have been lost in the sands of time but there's extracts of it here

And I was just about the bring up the Don Frye fight with the guy who was undefeated in street fights and "liked to slam his opponents on the ground." My brothers and I were laughign our asses off when he was out cold by a jab...my brother had a theory that the UFC needed a last second replacement and found one in the back alleys.

Early UFC's are full of hilarity. Scott Ferrozzo's at the centre of many of them; his awkward interview with Bruce Beck, Bohlander trying to choke him out with his own wrestling singlet, Jim Mullen's absolutely certainty that he's going to win before Ferrozzo crushes him. Then there's Harold Howard "if you're going to come on... then COME ON!" (although much like Joe Son it's harder to find humour in it these days), the general ineptness of the ref at UFC 1, Bill Wallace screwing up the intro, Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman headlining UFC 11 with a wrestling exhibition because everyone was too scared to face Coleman.

That's just the tip. I've got basically every UFC event up to 40 on DVD and watched most of them a couple of times at least. The quality of the bouts is generally terrible (Shamrock/Severn two for example) but there's so much comedy value there.

It's perhaps why I love Shine Fights so much...

Indeed... Telligman, Ferrozo and Tank were all pretty notable names for the time.

It's a sad example of Vitor's wasted talent that he's still basically living off that UFC 12-13 run (with the additional demolition of Wandy). His time in Pride was horrible... although he picked up good wins (Herring is still arguably his best win), he did so through pretty awful to watch LNP... and it was only really his 2007-2009 run (notably the demolition jobs on Lindland and Franklin)... so a decade or more later... where he ever came close to capturing that essence again.

Goodridge gave an interview about it to Sherdog ages back. It appears to have been lost in the sands of time but there's extracts of it here

Early UFC's are full of hilarity. Scott Ferrozzo's at the centre of many of them; his awkward interview with Bruce Beck, Bohlander trying to choke him out with his own wrestling singlet, Jim Mullen's absolutely certainty that he's going to win before Ferrozzo crushes him. Then there's Harold Howard "if you're going to come on... then COME ON!" (although much like Joe Son it's harder to find humour in it these days), the general ineptness of the ref at UFC 1, Bill Wallace screwing up the intro, Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman headlining UFC 11 with a wrestling exhibition because everyone was too scared to face Coleman.

That's just the tip. I've got basically every UFC event up to 40 on DVD and watched most of them a couple of times at least. The quality of the bouts is generally terrible (Shamrock/Severn two for example) but there's so much comedy value there.

It's perhaps why I love Shine Fights so much...

Shamrock vs Severn II, was that the one where they literally walk in circles and not fight each other? that was a terrible fight.

Personally, I've been following UFC since UFC II...(went back and watched UFC I later)...one guy that looked fu*king scary was Pat Smith. I was sure that guy was going places...especailly the way he destoryed that white guy who knew "Ninjitsu."

I think one of my favorite old school fights is Oleg Taktarov vs Tank Abbot...that was Tank's closest moment to UFC Gold (that and his stiff jab against Don Frye)

That was a war...felt exhausted after watching it.

Shamrock vs Severn II, was that the one where they literally walk in circles and not fight each other? that was a terrible fight.

Personally, I've been following UFC since UFC II...(went back and watched UFC I later)...one guy that looked fu*king scary was Pat Smith. I was sure that guy was going places...especailly the way he destoryed that white guy who knew "Ninjitsu."

I think one of my favorite old school fights is Oleg Taktarov vs Tank Abbot...that was Tank's closest moment to UFC Gold (that and his stiff jab against Don Frye)

That was a war...felt exhausted after watching it.

Aha, you're talking about Scott Morris, the guy who they didn't know much about "well, because he is a ninja!" :icon_chee Pat Smith seemed to be a dangerous guy that's for sure, that fight against Morris was amazing, the way Morris rushed him and Smith stood there perfectly relaxed, just waiting. Then mount, then GnP (possibly the first GnP win in UFC history?)

Shamrock v Gracie was fantastic from UFC 1, totally awesome, the interview after was funny, Shamrock certainly had the wind taken out of his sails. And the Kevin Rosier interviews were funny too, though his dickhead trainer kept trying to have his say!

And yeah I loved Tank as well of course (though this account was meant to be a troll account until everything else got banned :icon_cry2). Wasn't just a brawler to me, seemed to use wrestling quite well in conjunction with his hands, though he used to show up in varying degrees of fitness.

And just on "baddest man on the planet", I think the UFC started using that after they tried to sign Fedor one time and he knocked them back. Fedor was labelled that occasionally (there was even a TV doco on him called that) so when Lesnar beat Carwin they started calling him that, and ever since the UFC HW champ has been that (well according to Rogan anyway).

One thing I wish boxing would copy from the UFC...camera angles. The classic above the ring angle kind of sucks. I like camera men standing right on the canvas filming right over the ropes. The UFC films from some good angles that get right in the action.

One thing I wish boxing would copy from the UFC...camera angles. The classic above the ring angle kind of sucks. I like camera men standing right on the canvas filming right over the ropes. The UFC films from some good angles that get right in the action.

strictly speaking a fight should be viewed from the top similar to a football match. The cinematic camera angles are just for show and are actually pretty jarring, leaving viewers without a sense of ring generalship. I wish there would be an option to watch fights purely from above, it's so much easier to show a casual fan what's going on in the ring when you see it from above. The same applies to most sports. Combat sports seem to be the only sports who sacrifice the over head angle in the name of creating cinematic drama.

Back