What is Dana talking about.

TexasDrugAddict**

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I watch this vid 3 times and still have no idea what they are talking bout.

I can't find the Hopkins Jim Rome interview. Anybody know what Hopkins said that the UFC is doing right and what they(Boxing) want to copy.

More like: what is the narrator talking about?

i know hopkins said bellator doing tournaments was the right thing to do. not sure that is what you are talking about. i think the video was in the contenders forum somewhere

That too. DJs between rds. WTF.

I think he's talking about Pacquiao vs Clottey, they had a mini concert right before the main event and that was actually copied from Affliction not UFC

DJ's between rounds? is he talking about music being played in between rounds? that's been done for dozens of years, if he's talking about a live DJ in between rounds that was Strikforce and WCW not UFC

And I couldnt make out what the narrator was trying to say after that "training vignettes"? "afternoon weigh ins"?

Terrible narrator

More like: what is the narrator talking about?

The end part seemed like one big whine about his (and I have no idea who he is) place in boxing...

On topic, the only thing I can think of off the top of my that boxing has obviously copied from the UFC is the "... of the Night" bonuses which Showtime put in place for some of their cards.

There is nothing UFC has done that at some point boxing didn't already do.

Boxing isn't copying shit.

Hopkins was on Jim Rome's Showtime program a week or two ago...and he said that UFC always makes the fights people want to see and boxing should do that.

With that said, boxing isnt exactly copying that approach. Hopkins was just complimenting it. So don't know what Dana is talking about there.

Showtime did Of the Night bonuses on one card, i think it was only once though. I'm also willing to bet boxing promoters have offered that in the long long history of boxing.

I didnt see an interview where he said anything about Bellator.

let's see some stuff that ufc / US mma copied from boxing :
-interim belts
-catchweights
-10 point must system
-the original 8 boxing divisions
-night before the fight weight in
-insistence on using boxing terminologies like " undisputed champion " when in fact it makes no sense in the ufc

the rest is copied from the WWE

there is nothing original in the ufc , and there is nothing boxing can copy from it

Off topic but I wouldn't mind seeing ref cams in both boxing and UFC.

They used it for the Khan-Garcia fight and thought was really cool, it gives the audience a vantage point to decide whether it was good stoppage or not, Khan's facial expression after the last knock down showed he was completely out of the fight.

As a big fan of Hopkins, I know to take most things that he says with a grain of salt. That video was rambling and nonsensical.

They used it for the Khan-Garcia fight and thought was really cool, it gives the audience a vantage point to decide whether it was good stoppage or not, Khan's facial expression after the last knock down showed he was completely out of the fight.

Really? Why don't I remember that? I have to quit watching fights fucked up.

-interim belts
-catchweights
-10 point must system
-insistence on using boxing terminologies like " undisputed champion " when in fact it makes no sense in the ufc

there is nothing original in the ufc , and there is nothing boxing can copy from it

Of all the things they copied, not one of them is anything from Pride, and if Boxing ever attempt to copy anything from UFC/MMA I hope its from Pride (the mile long ring entrances, fireworks laser shows, freak shows or celibrity boxing similar to Butterbean and so on)

-interim belts
-catchweights
-10 point must system

One term that UFC has copied from boxing which pisses me off (for some reason) is "Baddest man on the Planet."

I don't think any UFC fighter (with maybe the exception of Jose Aldo, JBJ and Anderson Silva) have come close to capturing that aura of baddest man as Mike Tyson did in the 80s

One term that UFC has copied from boxing which pisses me off (for some reason) is "Baddest man on the Planet."

I don't think any UFC fighter (with maybe the exception of Jose Aldo, JBJ and Anderson Silva) have come close to capturing that aura of baddest man as Mike Tyson did in the 80s

It's one of the things that frustrate me in most UFC Heavyweight title bouts... the way Rogan (and others as well but mainly him) keep trying to hype the winner as "the baddest man of the planet". The UFC 155 promo consisted of little else.

There's a reason that throughout the history of boxing there are only really three heavyweight champions who you could really think of as a "baddest man on the planet" and only one of them really made the term his own... Liston, young Foreman and Tyson. It's not (just) about winning bouts and scoring knockouts... its the persona, the attitude, the aura... it's the fact that to this day people still say if Tyson hit the average man on the street he'd kill them with a single punch. It's the tension, the sense of barely contained anger and rage, the hint of maliciousness, the feeling that the guy is taking a savage pleasure not just in winning but in destroying his opponent.

But more than that it's not a title you "win". It's not something one announcer or even one PR company can give to someone (think how ludicrous it would feel for either of the Klits to give themselves that moniker). It's something that sort of just happens... it just gets accepted. You don't have two fighters face off to decide who gets the title...

Hamed had the PRIDE entrance before PRIDE.

It's one of the things that frustrate me in most UFC Heavyweight title bouts... the way Rogan (and others as well but mainly him) keep trying to hype the winner as "the baddest man of the planet". The UFC 155 promo consisted of little else.

There's a reason that throughout the history of boxing there are only really three heavyweight champions who you could really think of as a "baddest man on the planet" and only one of them really made the term his own... Liston, young Foreman and Tyson. It's not (just) about winning bouts and scoring knockouts... its the persona, the attitude, the aura... it's the fact that to this day people still say if Tyson hit the average man on the street he'd kill them with a single punch. It's the tension, the sense of barely contained anger and rage, the hint of maliciousness, the feeling that the guy is taking a savage pleasure not just in winning but in destroying his opponent.

But more than that it's not a title you "win". It's not something one announcer or even one PR company can give to someone (think how ludicrous it would feel for either of the Klits to give themselves that moniker). It's something that sort of just happens... it just gets accepted. You don't have two fighters face off to decide who gets the title...

Agreed on all points...

Regarding the victories, it's not just getting wins but the manner of winning...you have to destroy your opponents, (that is why I mentioend JBJ, Aldo and A Silva)

Mike tyson and young Foreman had that menancing, invincibility aura about them...
they not only wanted to win, they wanted to fu*k you up for even trying...

Post Mike Tyson, I don't think any HW came close to capturing that moniker of "baddest man on the planet."

Holyfield didn't, Bowe Didn't, Lewis not so much (maybe if he had more Rahman like KO victories), neither of the Klits...

and even with the Apex of Pride...I wouldn't have given Fedor that title as well...he won convincingly but he was always so chill...never any emotion outside of the ring.

Maybe had Andrew Golota destroyed Bowe with wins and Lewis would I think that label may be appropriate...

the " baddest man on the planet " sounds even more ridiculous when you realize that the record for successful consecutive heavyweight title defenses is 2... ( held by tim sylvia btw )

Back