What is a reasonable answer for why UFC held test results for a month?

Well it certainly brings some water to those who have thought the UFC has the NSAC in their pocket's mill..

Well, I guess the UFC did say they're turning into an entertainment company and not a legit fighting organization. The UFC is turning MMA into a joke. Using their monopoly to take all the best talent, then treating them like theyre in the WWE.

Can anyone think of a reasonable and logical explanation for why the UFC would withhold drug test results for so long?

Every time ive ever taken a drug test that had to be sent to a lab, it took two weeks tops and thats with mail time.

Why would the UFC release the results of a drug test from early December a month later AFTER the fight? Can anyone think of a reasonable answer for this?

Yes, because the UFC didn't want to mess with their biggest bout in years. With all the lackluster PPV numbers they needed this one. Is this reasonable? Yes. Logical? Yes. Morally correct? No, it isn't.

Can anyone think of a reasonable and logical explanation for why the UFC would withhold drug test results for so long?

Every time ive ever taken a drug test that had to be sent to a lab, it took two weeks tops and thats with mail time.

Why would the UFC release the results of a drug test from early December a month later AFTER the fight? Can anyone think of a reasonable answer for this?

i don't know the answer, but it wasn't a month, they got word of it on like the 23rd or something, and the test never should have been done for coke.

the whole thing is just weird.

Well it certainly brings some water to those who have thought the UFC has the NSAC in their pocket's mill..

the nsac nevre should have tested for coke, and they knew they had no grounds to punish jones, so i dont know what the norm should have been.

According to MMAFighting the only reason this information was released is due to a public records request. I find it far more likely the UFC had no intentions of releasing this information. They just released a statement in reaction to it going public outside of their control.

So why was this news released if there was no punishment to be had? Sources say there was a public records request for Jones' drug test results after the fight. It's possible that this news would have never been made public if the request was never made, however, the NAC was well within their rights to bring it up if Jones ever applied for a license to fight in Nevada again.

Cash money. They had a PPV to sell .... duh.

All I can think of is the notion that the UFC knew it was liable to happen, but didn't really want to step in for one reason or another, perhaps due to negative implications towards UFC officials that may have arisen, but I'm pretty high, it's late, and that's a rather vague idea.Well, yeah. The fact that a UFC champion tested positive for a Schedule I substance (I don't care if it's not on WADA's list, it is an illegal substance) is kind of a big deal.

It makes the UFC look bad regardless of what they do about it, but if they were to immediately publicize this info as soon as they were realistically able to, it would lend credence to the idea that they actually do care about enforcing the fighter code of conduct, which is what they are trying to do by supporting Jones's "rehab" without actually doing anything about it at all.

Beyond that, Jimmy Smith raised possibly the most pertinent question of all:

Why drug test at all if you are not actually going to follow through with penalties? Doesn't add up. If all he is going to get is a slap on the wrist for failing any test but the one immediately after the fight, the actual tests are literal formalities at best.

Now, I could be mistaken, but wasn't Vitor's fighter license revoked after he tested positive out of competition? And if that is the case, is there not a precedent for revoking a fighter license for testing positive (for anything) out of competition, or are we really going to give an illegal substance a pass just because it isn't on the WADA's list?

This shit is fucked up man.

This is completely ignorant. He did not test positive for an illegal substance.

His blood showed by-products/metabolites of cocaine, not cocaine itself. There is no follow up because the metabolite is not banned, and cocaine, while illegal and a stimilulant in competiton, is not a PED for training.

Vitor got popped for PED use. No comparison.

There has been no concrete information released that says the UFC even knew about the test. Why do idiots like you speculate instead of finding the answer yourself?

If it was out of competition and he was technically allowed to do it, would the fight have gotten cancelled in any way?

Money is the answer !

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't F with Zuffas $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If he wasn't obligated to submit to a test for cocaine, why were the results released?

OK. The very fact that a question this rhetorical can be asked suggests that the answer is that MMA fans are so out of touch with reality that the answer might simply be "why the fuck not".

But I suspect the real answer is that it's good for business. And they're a business. No MMA rules were broken so they intelligently decided to get everybody paid at the risk of ruffling a few Sherdog feathers.

Do you think that's really the wrong decision for a business to make? Remember, they're not the DEA or the police.

Your drug test results are released to the public in under two weeks? Can you link a source so we can see them?

they didnt hold the test results for a month. do people even read?

they found out around dec 18th or sometime after. they held it for a few weeks.

Because he doesn't test positive for an out of competition banned substance.

Because they were thinking about Jon Jones the person, not about what this does to the image of the sport. He's a human being for crying out loud and needs to get help for Jon Jones the person.

(Absolutely fucking painful to watch that interview)

Back