What is a prospect and which ones have actually lived up to the hype?

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
By definition a prospect is unproven but have legitimate promise.

A prospect is (A) younger than 24 with (B) less than 8 fights and (C) has prospect hype. I know this is arbitrary but you cant have a 30 year old prospect or one with over 15 fights. Maybe in boxing but not in MMA.

Jon Jones was 20 years old with six fights when he debuted. He may be a shit head and junkie but he had that aura that you were going to see a future great.

Max Holloway.

Anybody else?

Wouldn’t everyone who had become champion count?

Every fighter was a prospect at some point

A prospect has to have prospect hype. I know that sounds redundant but not every young fighter is perceived as a prospect. I don't recall Johny Hendricks having prospect hype.

giphy.gif

Age is not important. What matters is upside.

Kattar and Reyes were good prospects 3-4 fights ago. Both of them nearly 30 at the time but only a couple of UFC fights and rapidly improving.

Cain was like 26 years old already and only has a record of 2-0 when he made his UFC debut. He's had that aura and hype you were talking about. He went on to become one of the greatest HW in the world at one point.

Max lost to Poirier early on. They touted him as a young kid who loves to fight but he hasn't really been considered as a hyped fighter until he stringed up consecutive wins after losing to Conor.

I agree every fighter is a prospect at some point and age, record, and prospect hype doesn't really matter. It's when people recognize that you've been stepping up and winning the fights that count. You can be a prospect even midway in your career.

Back