what is a natural grappler?

NYC1990

White Belt
Reaction score
Can someone please try and define a natural grappler. Because I have started bjj very recentley and some student are telling me im a natural grapper, it just comes to me. What is that suppose to mean? What makes someone who just started bjj 2 weeks ago a natural?

This guy was certainly one

Kazushi_Sakuraba_1000566.jpg

I would imagine that you just have good instincts, low and solid base (balance and pressure), and learn quickly. As you learn new techniques and standard approaches, don't lose your instincts or forget to listen to them.

Last edited:
Natural grappler is someone that learns the techniques quicker that the norm.

It tends to be someone with understanding of the ground game such as knowing chokes or whatever and understanding where you can put pressure etc. It usually consists of someone who is small and stout or athletically built.

Can someone please try and define a natural grappler. Because I have started bjj very recentley and some student are telling me im a natural grapper, it just comes to me. What is that suppose to mean? What makes someone who just started bjj 2 weeks ago a natural?

1.jpg

a natural grappler is someone who learns easily, feels comfortable, and is probably going to be really good at grappling

but dont worry brah, they lyin to you lolz :icon_chee

I'll add this, natural talent does not replace hard work and dedication. You may hear about prodigies and natural talents, but many of the world's best athletes and competitors in any sport were not considered 'naturals'. It's the label people put on them after years and years of hard work and sacrifice.

I'd assume it's someone who's a good athlete, handles pressure very well and picks up the moves quickly. My very first day of class I learned the RNC and proceeded to tap a white belt out that very same day with the same move. I also handle pressure well and I'd say I compete at a good level. Sometimes people just catch on quicker than others. At one point while doing jiu-jitsu, your very basic game will start to click. Once this happens, that's when you really start to work on the fundamentals of bjj. 2 weeks is definitely a short time to know if you're a "natural grappler" or not, however. I think that term is hard to define until you're up to a purple belt level when you can compete at the higher levels.

Jacare is a natural grappler (doesn't mean you'll be at his level lol) he started at the late age of 17-18 and is now considered to be one of the best grapplers right now.

Jacare is a natural grappler (doesn't mean you'll be at his level lol) he started at the late age of 17-18 and is now considered to be one of the best grapplers right now.

A counter to that argument is Andre Galvao, who found that that he was NOT a natural grappler, both from his first instructor, Careca, and his own personal opinion. He also started at a "late" age, beginning seriously at BJJ at 17. He found that he picked up techniques slower than other students, but credits his success (which rank up there with the anyone, no one denies that he is one of the best grapplers in the world) with his work ethic. He came with the mindset knowing that he knew he had to outwork everyone to be successful.

So, judging just by skill level and accomplishments that "This guy is a natural because he accomplished all of these things, and he started at later age," is debatable. Jacare may or may not be a natural grappler, I'm not trying to argue with that, but the term natural in itself is very wishy washy when applied. Sure, it can be said that someone who works his ass off everyday for years upon years but has no success is NOT a natural, but when it comes to successful athletes, the term becomes hazier.

If a kid starts wrestling at 4, and by 18 he is considered the best wrestler in the nation, does that make him a natural?

A counter to that argument is Andre Galvao, who found that that he was NOT a natural grappler, both from his first instructor, Careca, and his own personal opinion. He also started at a "late" age, beginning seriously at BJJ at 17. He found that he picked up techniques slower than other students, but credits his success (which rank up there with the anyone, no one denies that he is one of the best grapplers in the world) with his work ethic. He came with the mindset knowing that he knew he had to outwork everyone to be successful.

So, judging just by skill level and accomplishments that "This guy is a natural because he accomplished all of these things, and he started at later age," is debatable. Jacare may or may not be a natural grappler, I'm not trying to argue with that, but the term natural in itself is very wishy washy when applied. Sure, it can be said that someone who works his ass off everyday for years upon years but has no success is NOT a natural, but when it comes to successful athletes, the term becomes hazier.

If a kid starts wrestling at 4, and by 18 he is considered the best wrestler in the nation, does that make him a natural?

Well there are anomalies in MMA like Rich Franklin, Forrest Griffin, Jon Fitch who on paper SHOULDN'T be successful in this sport yet they are considered elite level.

I think a better example of a "natural grappler" would be BJ Penn. He also started late and his accomplishments in BJJ are known universally so I shouldn't have to type them out. BJ throughout most of his career has found success on being "a natural" and his work ethic has been questioned.

I agree through very hard work and dedication would could excel at almost anything whether it be BJJ or any martial art but it still takes a special person to do those kinds of things.

Same thing as being a natural at anything. Someone who "gets it" faster than average. There are people who pick things up very fast, but there are also people who train ALOT more than the other guys. Dont confuse them, alot of people do.

Agree'd. This topic reminds me of Ryan Howard from The Office, "People keep calling me a "Wunderkind" ... I don't even know what that means. I mean, I know what it means, it means very successful for your age, so I guess it makes sense..."

Agree'd. This topic reminds me of Ryan Howard from The Office, "People keep calling me a "Wunderkind" ... I don't even know what that means. I mean, I know what it means, it means very successful for your age, so I guess it makes sense..."

Hahahaha yeah, spot on mate.

I've learned it's nearly impossible to say someone's a "natural" at two weeks, because while someone has zero formal experience, they'll frequently forget to tell us that they wrestled a couple years in high school, or they still do with their friends. The real test of a natural is when you get them past that initial month or two (say 20-40 classes), how fast do they pick things up from there? Getting to that three month ability in one month is kinda neat. Getting to the three year level in one year is what's special.

Well there are anomalies in MMA like Rich Franklin, Forrest Griffin, Jon Fitch who on paper SHOULDN'T be successful in this sport yet they are considered elite level.

I think a better example of a "natural grappler" would be BJ Penn. He also started late and his accomplishments in BJJ are known universally so I shouldn't have to type them out. BJ throughout most of his career has found success on being "a natural" and his work ethic has been questioned.

I agree through very hard work and dedication would could excel at almost anything whether it be BJJ or any martial art but it still takes a special person to do those kinds of things.

Another good example is Dean Lister. Dean says he sucked and was a pretty slow learner until he hit Purple, and then it clicked and he was off to the races.

Other people start off fast and then hit ceilings.

Its what you tell new guys that look like they will wash out unless you give them compliments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back