What is a legit martial art?

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by whynotme, Jan 2, 2015.

1. whynotme

whynotme Orange Belt

Saw people complaining about arts like TMA, Seagull... so I am just trying to make a point

First of all, martial arts are arts used to hurt other by a physical mean. So, how to harm other? By applying force, transmitting energy to their bodies, disabling their bodies' function. This is the goal of unarmed martial art.

So the art often teaches the method to applying force or transmitting energy to opponent, e.g.. by punching, kicking, break joints, bite, headbutt, eye gouging,...

The art teaches where to hit, how to hit, when to hit and other things like how to setup a favor situations... but in order to actually harm other, the fighter must apply the method with enough physical attributes, e.g. fast enough, strong enough, to transmit enough energy or force to the opponent's body.

The basic of martial art is simple, just put enough physical force with a right method and you can harm. A soccer player, if his kick is strong enough, he can kick the sh!t out of a pro fighter, by just one kick, because it can transmit enough force to the opponent. Is that a legit way to harm other? Anything can transmit enough energy is a legit way to harm other, you can not say, but, but that is just a soccer kick, not a martial kick, when he kick your ass.

If a elephant is 5 tonnes, it can sit on the lion and flush the sh!t out of it, is that a legit way to fight? Yes it is. What am I trying to say? With enough force or energy, any art can be a legit art, even a soccer kick or just sitting on your opponent. A bullet just goes straight, it is very simple but deadly. If you are 6'8" 265 a strong athlete, you can kill a 5'5" pro kickboxer.

With the right attitude, anything can be lethal. It is not the art, but the person applies it, strong enough, fast enough, and understand the situation, a tae kwon do kick, or just a ballet dancing move, a boxer punch, or a strong farmer with a wild punch, under the right time, with enough force, and hit the right spot, are all legit way to harm other.

2. Navy_Chief

Navy_Chief Black Belt

Didn't read, too long, not UFC related.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  3. Big Fight Fan

Big Fight Fan Yellow Belt

Any martial arts training is better than no training at all. Unfortunately traditional martial arts have developed a very bad reputation on here due to some exposing of the charlatans that were more snake oil salesmen than true masters.

I'm an older poster on here and before the ufc had taken years of martial arts including a Kung fu style and judo. They work although nowadays I would recommend something along the lines of Krav Maga or jkd concepts. I know I will get ripped on for this next one but I would not recommend MMA to the person looking for a self defense style. In traditional martial arts including many of the Chinese kung fu styles there was a heavy focus on groin shots, eye gouging, ripping of an ear and biting for example. It does work if you use what's effective. Experience has taught me that going for a darce choke in a close quarters environment is not the best idea. Look to bas ruttens street fighting vids for some good, effective and reliable info. You'll use what you train.

4. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

what defines an art is not the techniques that comprise it, but the way the techniques are practiced.

every bjj'er knows what a double leg is, but that doesn't mean they can hit a takedown to save their life against an elite wrestler.

5. Kertol

Kertol Brown Belt

All martial arts are legit.

6. dk9711

dk9711 Old School

I think a legit art is one that applies force and energy.

Also, I think what the UFC proved over the years is that active competition is far more important than flawlessential technique. Theread are no matrial arts. There is only fight.

7. TheScorpionDude

TheScorpionDude Get over here! ~~~~~~~~~~~~==>

Who the fuck knows anymore... real rappers, fake rappers ... everything in this life is so relative and so temporary that a word like 'legit' has no place in this world.

8. MarloStanfield

MarloStanfield The Wild Colonial Boy

Ultimate Fighting

9. ib313

ib313 Imagine a Dystopian UFC

Welcome to the wasteland

10. Unicorn Princes

Unicorn Princes Banned Banned

I think one of the problems with "traditional martial arts" is that the training you would get at a modern dojo is probably not reflective of the original art itself. Like I highly doubt that actual warriors training in Karate 100s of years ago weren't doing full contact sparring. Going to a dojo where you practice katas and breaking boards a couple hours of week is probably not reflective of the original versions of the traditional martial arts.

And I also doubt that "take downs" and ground fighting was as focused on because tackling someone on a battle field and trying to wrestle with him would probably get you killed by someone else on the opposing side.

11. Timmahhhh

Timmahhhh Orange Belt

Ts you are dead wrong about any big guy can kill a pro kickboxer, etc. I'm 6'8" 265 (used to be bigger) and my old coach 185 lb Olympic alternate in wrestling would have his way with me. He was also a good kick boxer, and he'd tag mgr up. A bjj coach renato miglaccio who fought like 155 would also molest me on the mat. Dont underestimate training.

12. aus101

aus101 Black Belt

Actually takedowns and other grappling techniques have been used on the battlefield for millennia.

13. HelloJapan

HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

Whatever Cecil Peoples does.

14. whynotme

whynotme Orange Belt

I know techniques and training can make a big different, especially with techniques designed to kill and trained like there is no tomorrow, so I tried to limit to pro kickboxer which is a sport. But I take your words. I know how a big guy with zero experience in martial art fight with a small guy with good boxing in a standing fight, but if the big guy goes crazy with instinct wrestling then the small guy may be in big trouble, that why I didn't said small guy with BJJ :D