What is a good way to get double underhooks?

Grapplingwizard**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Usually I club the head with my right hand and dig the underhook in with my left, then get my right hand in after and lock them up like a bear hug, but if this doesn't work what is a common/good way to get em' in?

Are we talking BJJ, Judo, nogi or wrestling here? Club me in the head in a BJJ competition and I'll be aiming to hurt and injure you. Clubbing is not really acceptable except in a pure wrestling context, you'll piss people off either way.

Anyway, I find faking a shot works pretty well for me. Penetration step, level change, come up as they ready themselves to sprawl and take the double unders. I normally go for the over-unders due to my Judo background but when I get double-unders this is my highest percentage way.

Are we talking BJJ, Judo, nogi or wrestling here? Club me in the head in a BJJ competition and I'll be aiming to hurt and injure you. Clubbing is not really acceptable except in a pure wrestling context, you'll piss people off either way.

Anyway, I find faking a shot works pretty well for me. Penetration step, level change, come up as they ready themselves to sprawl and take the double unders. I normally go for the over-unders due to my Judo background but when I get double-unders this is my highest percentage way.

Lol, by clubbing I didn't mean hit. more like snapping the head down and driving your underhook upwards at the same time.

Get a good single underhook first.

Lol, by clubbing I didn't mean hit. more like snapping the head down and driving your underhook upwards at the same time.

Clubbing means striking the head with an open hand. What you're describing is a snapdown.

This is all that needs to be said. You know why? It's because there is no practical way to read this technique into application; just practice it with a skilled practitioner.

Grapple someone untrained lol. They'll always give up double unders and then act confused when you rag doll them to the ground.

There is a very distinct difference between clubbing the head and snapping the head. Neither will piss anyone off. It has been called "club the head to underhook" for the last hundred years.

Getting doubles can be difficult for anyone. The main ways I do it are:

Pull with your single, then just slam your 2nd underhook in

Get your single, ride your other forearm over the top of the side you want doubles on then just pummel in

Get your single, let them take your free wrist, then "whip" your wrist and arm around right into doubles. This sounds complicated or like it wont work but it is the most effective way I have found. All of the kids that I train can double under almost all of the adults in bjj classes with this technique.

There is a very distinct difference between clubbing the head and snapping the head. Neither will piss anyone off. It has been called "club the head to underhook" for the last hundred years.

Getting doubles can be difficult for anyone. The main ways I do it are:

Pull with your single, then just slam your 2nd underhook in

Get your single, ride your other forearm over the top of the side you want doubles on then just pummel in

Get your single, let them take your free wrist, then "whip" your wrist and arm around right into doubles. This sounds complicated or like it wont work but it is the most effective way I have found. All of the kids that I train can double under almost all of the adults in bjj classes with this technique.

Thanks. The Club to underhook then to double underhooks works a lot better imo then going over under and battling for double unders because in over under you are in a 50/50 position where as a single underhook with good head position you are in an advantageous position.

Keep pummeling, make it a drill. BJJ guys neglect this too often.

Damn it I just wrote this long ass explanation on how to get one underhook. Everyone is right. A good fake and then jacking up the underhooks while he is still reaching/sprawling. A good fake consists of every step you do when you shoot, except the shot. I hate half ass fakes in any grappling sense.

Last edited:
Back