What is a good pair of Muay thai gloves?

Anderton Silav

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting Muay thai and need some gloves. Nothing too fancy but durability is key. Any suggestions Sherdog?

Muay thai leather gloves are pretty darn expensive! They run at least 50 a pair.

If youre going to be starting soon then they probably have gear given with a sign up fee. That gear is fine for now. If they dont guve you gear then a pair of boxing gloves would suffice for brginners pad, bag and drill work. When you get higher up, assuming you go to clinch, muay thai gloves are supposed to be easier to clinch with as the hook for fingers is bigger. Get those.
These should also be used as your sparring gloves.

You need one for pad and one for clinch and sparring.

For padwork, use some cheap ones and take care of them and they should last a good six months. Quality ones take longer of course (leather is the way to go) but is not necessary until you get moderately good.

For sparring, go with 16 oz boon or top king.

Muay thai leather gloves are pretty darn expensive! They run at least 50 a pair.

If youre going to be starting soon then they probably have gear given with a sign up fee. That gear is fine for now. If they dont guve you gear then a pair of boxing gloves would suffice for brginners pad, bag and drill work. When you get higher up, assuming you go to clinch, muay thai gloves are supposed to be easier to clinch with as the hook for fingers is bigger. Get those.
These should also be used as your sparring gloves.

You need one for pad and one for clinch and sparring.

For padwork, use some cheap ones and take care of them and they should last a good six months. Quality ones take longer of course (leather is the way to go) but is not necessary until you get moderately good.

For sparring, go with 16 oz boon or top king.
This. Top King and Twins are pretty good imo.

top king, king, twins, fairtex are all good options.

I currently have a pair of 10oz kings for pad/bagwork as well as a pair of 8oz sandees.
I also have 16oz sandees for sparring, the sandees are cheaper than the other brands i mentioned but still do a good job I have had them for about 3 years now and the logo is only now showing signs of wear, the gloves themselves are fine though, and didnt take too long to break in so they are a good option.

However in my opinion top king/king is the best company for muay thai equipment, period.

Currently using lime green 14oz Twins Specials for bag work/pad work (anything not sparring related). I wish I got them in 12s but great gloves.

mLeipTkuCtBEDQT4ami6iiQ.jpg

And white w/ black trim Fairtex BGL3-pro gloves for sparring, hand crafted all leather, love em:

6y0f9k.jpg

I'd suggest TopKing, Boon or FairTex but if you just want something cheap and reliable then you can probably get away with Title Boxing training gloves.

They're very good & last I remembered cost about $30. but keep in mind the padding on the wrist & bottom of the hands will be different than MT gloves.

Currently using lime green 14oz Twins Specials for bag work/pad work (anything not sparring related). I wish I got them in 12s but great gloves.

mLeipTkuCtBEDQT4ami6iiQ.jpg

And white w/ black trim Fairtex BGL3-pro gloves for sparring, hand crafted all leather, love em:

6y0f9k.jpg

don't those fairtex ones cost like 100+ dollars?

dscn2827.jpg

Twins or BOON.

I really like BOONs when I box. They feel just right (padding, distribution, comfort, feedback, etc.) have the most and best wrist support of any Thai glove (especially if you pick velcros, because most velcros suck but these rock), or even any boxing glove under $100. They're an amazing deal for the 70 or so dollars (they're actually a very nice hybrid muaythai/standard boxing glove)

I'm recommending Boon, but you might as well try Twins (which are also very popular). I wasn't too impressed with Fairtex (fit/padding, and for too much $$$ imo)

IMG_9594editweb2.jpg

The current batch of boons look like this (only the logo/printing has really changed). The design is the same but the quality control issues that the earlier batch of Boons sometimes had (mine were fine) are updated/fixed so there's not any problem now (none have been reported here since the updated 2012 batch).

I'm personally partial to Twins and Fairtex, although both are completely overpriced in North America. If you have small hands, you may like Top Kings as well. Just FYI, Twins are as durable as battle tanks LOL.

I've tried a lot of gloves over the years. The fairtex ones are overpriced and don't last any longer than they other brands, imo. With those, my feeling is that you're just paying a premium for the brand name.

Currently rocking the twins special. Good gloves. A little on the soft side. But they have perforated holes in the palm area that really help with drying/airing out the gloves which in turn helps with the stank. They're cheaper than most other brands too. So to me, these are a good value.

Depends what you are using them for. I wouldn't spend a lot for bag gloves, but for sparring fairtex are my favorite so far out of boons, triumph and fairtex. The triumph ones I have are huge, but they are now my bag gloves and have held up quite well.

Might try a pair of twins next, just depends what's on sale the next time I need a pair.

don't those fairtex ones cost like 100+ dollars?

74 Canadian off of muaythai-fighting.com, excluding shipping (which I think is around 20 bucks). MinowaFanatic has a great video review of the BGL-3s in the gear sub forum. The craftsmanship and leather quality is akin to much higher priced gloves I'd say.

Not all Fairtex models are created equal, there's some shitty ones but the good one's are just as consistent and high quality as the oft recommended Twins, Top Kings, and Boons.

But I think you can't go wrong with Boon or Twins Specials as far as decent price and general all purpose training glove (and I totally agree with Harukaze I'm finding my twins to be REALLY durable battle tank-esque:p )

(Although i just realized you were not the thread starter so ignore the self aggrandizing authoritarian airs in my post on which glove to get : D)

I think I'd like to pick up a pair of chocolate brown Boons though whenever I next buy a pair. Keep hearing great things about the boons and I love the look and colour scheme of those ones in particular.

Last edited:
Which ones are good for opening the hands inside for the clinch?

Can't speak for Top Kings people have mentioned as I haven't tried Top Kings just yet, but the Twins Specials and Fairtex BGL-3 give me no issue in the clinch and open just fine for me.

Can't speak for Top Kings people have mentioned as I haven't tried Top Kings just yet, but the Twins Specials and Fairtex BGL-3 give me no issue in the clinch and open just fine for me.

Thank you good sir.

Is it a myth that red gloves are harder to see?

I've tried a lot of gloves over the years. The fairtex ones are overpriced and don't last any longer than they other brands, imo. With those, my feeling is that you're just paying a premium for the brand name.
I beg to differ, the BGV1's have nicer leather than the other Thai brands and are unique in the combination of no grip bar with fingertip foam (can't think of any other glove models with this setup, which I like a lot).

Which ones are good for opening the hands inside for the clinch?
The Fairtex BGV1 and Twins BGVL3 (when broken in) are VERY conducive to clinching.

I've got 12oz Twins gloves. Use them for everything, but that's because I'm cheap.

guantes_muay_thai_twins_figting-spirit.jpg

Back