What is a Black Belt in BJJ Really Worth?

mogway

Blue Belt
Reaction score
BB.jpg

Hey guys here is a little article that I wrote about the value of a BJJ Black Belt nowadays. I hope you like it: BJJ Eastern Europe: What is a Black Belt in BJJ Really Worth?

Please feel free to share your thoughts on the matter

Very good article. Nice read.

I do agree that a black belt in BJJ is the hardest to get out of all the martial arts. I've been training for 2 and a half years and some outsiders are surprised when I tell them that I'm only one step removed from white belt. Like you said, McDojos are way more frequent in other martial arts then in BJJ. Getting a black belt in 3 years in TKD at 12 years old is completely laughable. You're not even eligible for a blue belt in BJJ at that age. The low amount of belts and the time it takes to get one really add credibility to the long term process of achieving black belt in BJJ. Plus, if you can trace your lineage back to Maeda and the Gracies, more power to you.

[YT]KrH_Wfhk2kI[/YT]

Thanks for reading and for the comments Chaps

"If we look at other martial arts like Karate, Taekwondo, or Judo, it seems that the average time to achieve the black belt for a regular practitioner is around 4-5 years. The problem is that many traditional martial arts have adopted a MCDojo model and promote kids to black belt really easily."

I can only speak regarding Judo in this as I don't and never have practiced Karate or Taekwondon't: a Judo black belt means that you have got the basics down; gotten very good at a throw or two; have some groundwork skills; and understand the fundamental concepts of Judo and the basic mechanics of throwing and leverage. This is what the black belt originally meant, not that you're some kind of master like a BJJ black belt means - it is absolutely not a symptom of McDojoism for someone to be awarded a 1st Dan black belt in Judo after 2-3 years (in fact I'd begin to question the teaching ability of an instructor who has failed to bring their student to the level of 1st Dan in three years), rather this is the original system of belt grades as devised by Kano Jigoro the father of Judo and, ultimately, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.

I practice both BJJ and Judo, for the record.

Last edited:
I can only speak regarding Judo in this as I don't and never have practiced Karate or Taekwondon't: a Judo black belt means that you have got the basics down; gotten very good at a throw or two; have some groundwork skills; and understand the fundamental concepts of Judo and the basic mechanics of throwing and leverage. This is what the black belt originally meant, not that you're some kind of master like a BJJ black belt means - it is absolutely not a symptom of McDojoism for someone to be awarded a 1st Dan black belt in Judo after 2-3 years (in fact I'd begin to question the teaching ability of an instructor who has failed to bring their student to the level of 1st Dan in three years), rather this is the original system of belt grades as devised by Kano Jigoro the father of Judo and, ultimately, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.

I practice both BJJ and Judo, for the record.

Just to second that. A Judo black belt in Japan means you have completed the basic criteria for being a Judoka.

I think BB's are overvalued in BJJ at the expense of higher degrees in that belt.

We laugh at other MA's and their grading system while not realising that in many MA's black belts are not regarded as 'expert' level in the same way as they are in BJJ. For instance, it is not uncommon to get a shodan in judo within one or two years.

Many arts see the belt belt as the level at which you can take the learner plates off get and get to the real hard work. That's not to say McDojos don't hand out belts when the check clears or some such.

2 yrs for shodan in judo? Wow. Tkd u can get in a yr or even less. Most ppl boggle at the thought that it is eminently possible to not get off white belt in bjj by the time ppl in another art hit black

it takes 5 years to get a Karate black belt at my dojo.
it is what, 12 years+ for a bjj black belt...
but bjj black belt is pretty much as high as anyone goes in BJJ.
In Karate there are 10 Dans. Only 1 person I think is allowed to hold 10th dan, but even if looking at 5th dans and above I think the numbers would be similar

Karate 5th + dans and BJJ black belts.
Not to mention getting 5th dan in a karate takes like 30 years
but is there a dan system in BJJ?
I just thought you could eventually go up to master or professor

but bjj black belt is pretty much as high as anyone goes in BJJ.
Yes, you get 'degrees' in black belt. At (I think) 5th degree you get an awesome looking red-and-black belt. Then red (again, I think) at 9th.

Not BJJ or Judo, this is from a Traditional Shotokan Standpoint

In the SKIF organization (Shotokan Karate)there are time restraints and class minimums between ranks. This is to ensure the student's consistency in his/her training. The fastest you can get Shodan is in 7-8 years, but after that it becomes different. Additionally, our instructor in UNABLE to grade us for black belt and above, for this we usually bring in one of the organization heads to teach a seminar and grade at the end.

For Nidan and above, there are minimum age requirements. This insures the value of the organization by making sure the system is not flooded by young 8th degrees (just one example). I am a 24 year old Sandan and have trained for 15 years, I will be elligable to grade again when I'm 29.

Lastly and the most interesting part of grading is when you are eligible for Godan. At this point a thematic essay is required to insure the organization of academic and intellectual standing. To me, this goes back to when karate was taught in school.

In short, a black belt is only as respected as 1)the practitioner 2)the instructor passing your test and 3)where it lies within the community

Yes, you get 'degrees' in black belt. At (I think) 5th degree you get an awesome looking red-and-black belt. Then red (again, I think) at 9th.

You don't get your red and black belt until 7th degree.

At least under the IBJJF, degrees are strictly a function of time in rank. (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation) If BJJ black belt degrees were given out based on skill/performance, as in many other arts, guys like Roger, Cobrinha, Rafa, Marcelo, etc. would all be 6-7th dan or more already.

Lets see... 'average' time training for a black belt... lets say 10 years.
'average' cost of instruction per month... around me, $120 seems standard.
average of 2 competitions a year at ~ $80 each
don't forget, gis wear out... one every 2 years, $120 each
and for practical purposes, lets assume you walk to your academy and carpool to every tournament.

About $16,600.

Lets see... 'average' time training for a black belt... lets say 10 years.
'average' cost of instruction per month... around me, $120 seems standard.
average of 2 competitions a year at ~ $80 each
don't forget, gis wear out... one every 2 years, $120 each
and for practical purposes, lets assume you walk to your academy and carpool to every tournament.

About $16,600.

Good value to become a certified bad ass.

If degrees are just a function of time aren't they worthless?

Not just a function of time, but also money! You have to certify your black belt before the clock starts running ($400), then pay your anual dues every year or the clock stops running, then pay for your stripe when the time comes.

Sound a little McDojoish to anyone else? This is my biggest issue with the IBJJF. Thing is, I have to jump through their hoops at least as far as my second stripe, or I will never be able to promote someone to black belt (I guess I could, but they would have to get signed off by someone elese if they ever want to compete).

Not just a function of time, but also money! You have to certify your black belt before the clock starts running ($400), then pay your anual dues every year or the clock stops running, then pay for your stripe when the time comes.

Sound a little McDojoish to anyone else? This is my biggest issue with the IBJJF. Thing is, I have to jump through their hoops at least as far as my second stripe, or I will never be able to promote someone to black belt (I guess I could, but they would have to get signed off by someone elese if they ever want to compete).
IBJJF have a monopoly at the moment I guess. Has anyone ever tried to start a rival federation/splinter group? That sort of thing has happened plenty of times in judo.

IBJJF have a monopoly at the moment I guess. Has anyone ever tried to start a rival federation/splinter group? That sort of thing has happened plenty of times in judo.

Many times. I forget the organization, but in '03 or so there was a tournament that was put on to try to rival the mundials with cash prizes. It caused a big split in Alliance team as most of the blackbelts wanted to do the Copa, but Fabio and Jacare suported IBJJF.

Currently there is the WBJJO, now headed by Rigan Machado, trying to get up and going. Along with membership they offer insurance for training similar to Judo. I am looking into their organization. problem is they don't have any tournaments as prestigious as the worlds, so it's hard to compete.

Back