What internet provider/plan would you recommend?

Ghost in the Shell

DEUS EX MACHINA
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm truly desperate.

So as the title implies, which internet provider do you have? Better yet, which internet connection is the best one. I'm not sure how many of you have seen my posts, but my internet connection is crappy and I tend to blame it for my spontaneous absences.

I'm open to switching providers, routers, modems, wires, plugs, etc. Enough is enough.

This is a sincere question and I am in dire need of better service :icon_cry2

Where I live it's Charter. They just boosted to 60Mbps without a raise in price. It's $30/mo for the 1st year, then I think they raise it to $55/mo. The bait and switch is a standard practice in the ISP world.

60 Mb/s Download
4 Mb/s Upload
250GB Data Cap

*Note that Mb/s is Megabits per second: 1 Megabit= 1/8 Megabyte

Where I live it's Charter. They just boosted to 60Mbps without a raise in price. It's $30/mo for the 1st year, then I think they raise it to $55/mo. The bait and switch is a standard practice in the ISP world.

60 Mb/s Download
4 Mb/s Upload
250GB Data Cap

*Note that Mb/s is Megabits per second: 1 Megabit= 1/8 Megabyte

That sounds like a good deal. Care to explain the numbers a bit more? The company that provides me has 75 Mb I think and I don't know the upload/download/datacap numbers.

How often does your signal disconnect or gets slow?

I use Cox. It's pretty consistent. This is what I'm getting right now while running Netflix and Diablo 3:

3529795527.png

How much do you pay? I'm still lost about the numbers :redface:

I don't know much about the numbers, other than in comparison that they're pretty good.

I pay 45$ a month through my lease agreement. Not sure how much it actually costs.

I don't know much about the numbers, other than in comparison that they're pretty good.

I pay 45$ a month through my lease agreement. Not sure how much it actually costs.

Sounds good. Thing is, I'm more concerned about speed (stream and downloading everything) more than anything, hence why I keep asking about the numbers.

Only one ISP in my area. Bullshit because they can basically charge what they want.

Sounds good. Thing is, I'm more concerned about speed (stream and downloading everything) more than anything, hence why I keep asking about the numbers.

Can you get Verizon FiOS where you live? They offer pretty high speeds, and as far as I can tell, Fiber Optics is very consistent.

Can you get Verizon FiOS where you live? They offer pretty high speeds, and as far as I can tell, Fiber Optics is very consistent.

I have no clue, probably do. Have you heard about Exceed? I just found out about it today and it sounds very tempting

Generally your options will be very limited based upon where you live. I had Time Warner and was very happy with their internet speeds... but ended up switching to Uverse. I find their internet speeds to be very satisfactory albeit slightly slower than TWC... but I like their cable tv product a lot more. The crappy thing is that I actually work for one of the major providers and would get free service... but they aren't available where I live. Again, in general major cable/internet providers stake out their territories and don't cross boundaries very often.

Word. Are some of those phone companies? I read a few reviews and some seem to cater to call quality and such.

They review all aspects of multiple high speed ISP's including wireless providers. Everything from the call quality to tech support, to speeds, to reliability and price.
Just look for the ISP's in your area. You'll find there are a lot more choices than you think. Most if not all of the little guys are DSL providers but that's just reality as the cable providers don't like to share. :)
Trust me it is THE most comprehensive site for what you're looking for.

I have Verizon Fios and high speed internet+cable+landline phone come out to slightly under $100 a month, which is a phenomenal deal.

Generally your options will be very limited based upon where you live. I had Time Warner and was very happy with their internet speeds... but ended up switching to Uverse. I find their internet speeds to be very satisfactory albeit slightly slower than TWC... but I like their cable tv product a lot more. The crappy thing is that I actually work for one of the major providers and would get free service... but they aren't available where I live. Again, in general major cable/internet providers stake out their territories and don't cross boundaries very often.

I like UVerse's tv better than Time Warner as well. But I don't like Uverse's data cap.

So excuse my shitty internet/wifi combo deal, but can someone make sense of the numbers and data caps? I became aware of them just recently

neighbor's plan

I have ATT U-Verse. I have no complaints. Internet & cable wrapped into one deal. Right now it's at $125/mo.

Back