What injury do you get when caught in an Americana/keylock?

SpartanWarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I rolled on Friday. Got caught in an Americana. Basically I tried to fight it instead of tapping out. Big Mistake! Now it hurts like hell every time I move my arm. What kind of injury is this anyway? Dislocation, broken bone, torn ligament, etc? What should I do to heal it up so I could start training again? Thanks.

SpartanWarrior said:
I rolled on Friday. Got caught in an Americana. Basically I tried to fight it instead of tapping out. Big Mistake! Now it hurts like hell every time I move my arm. What kind of injury is this anyway? Dislocation, broken bone, torn ligament, etc? What should I do to heal it up so I could start training again? Thanks.

dislocation perhaps most likely ligament damage to the shoulder give it a week then see the doctor

btw use ice and dont use it till after the week

If it's in your elbow, you probably had your ulnar nerve ripped out of place. Happened to me. Surgery is the best option. six weeks heal time though.

Your injury could be any of the three you listed or many others. If it's very serious, see a doctor immediately. If it is more routine, take some time off and ice it. It will probably heal on its own, but if not, see a doctor.

The problem with going to the doctor for minor injuries is that there isn't much they can really do. If you go the day after an injury, they are just going to tell you to come back in two weeks unless they can find a broken bone. Surgery is really a last resort because of the expense, healing time, and the fact that sometimes it will not even fix the problem at all (might even make it worse).

If it's not broken, I would suggest you just rest it, stretch it out, rub it, etc. Many injuries of that type will heal themselves to an acceptable level (may never be 100%). Only consider surgery if you really have no other option.

Wow man, remember the whole purpose of training. It's to learn from your mistakes and start over when you get caught. I think as someone else said, you probably fucked up a nerve. Sometimes what will happen is that you'll get watery shit in your elbow which will annoy the fuck out of you. Learn from your mistakes and I hope you heal back quick.

You probably tore/stretched/sprained/strained one of the muscles or ligaments in your rotator cuff.

Yeah, it might be a nerve too. Ever since my injury, my elbow and tricep keep twitching like crazy. Its like my arm's trying to give birth to an alien.

That's really no good man, but you're probably lucky you didn't have something worse than that happen to you.

TAP TAP TAP then ask how you couldve gotten out of it......it might be strained ice it rest it take anti inflamms if doesnt work see a doc

Tap, it is better to tap and continue training then miss training while you get your shoulder or elbow fixed. Oh Yeah...Go see a doctor

Your shoulder gets pulled out of the socket.

For a Kimura keylock, your shoulder muscle gets torn before it pops out of teh socket.

I have successfully resisted tapping when someone had me in a Key lock before. I kinda shrimped my hips out and turned to the side to relieve the pressure. It still hurt like a motherfucker though. The guy was gassed and couldn't crank it hard. Next time I'm tapping right away. No need to get injured. I'm over that tough guy bullshit (for the most part. Yesterday a guy had me in a tight gi choke, but I didn't tap, and eventually got out of it)

Chesty LaRue said:
If it's in your elbow, you probably had your ulnar nerve ripped out of place. Happened to me. Surgery is the best option. six weeks heal time though.

hows ur elbow & what did they do to the nerve im curious i had surgury done on my ulner nerve 4 years ago due to a freestyle injury.

If its that bad go to the doctor. If its just hurting but you still have mobility maybe its just a strain.

The real pain with pjj is the injuries. The are nonstop and continously are rotating around your body. There simply isnt the time/finances to go the doctor for every single one of them. You have to judge which ones are bad bad.. and which ones are just going to heal anyays.

Dislocation of shoulder, or elbow, ligament damage etc. Depends on where its cranked

Back