What if you stop liking jiu jitsu?

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Sitting here contemplating going to jits like
<1>
maybe I just don't love it anymore. Last week was my second week back after a month off and I already don't wanna go. Ever get in a rut like this? What fixed it?

I'm 20 years in and I don't enjoy it anymore aside from the workout and hanging out with my friends.

I still enjoy kickboxing though and do that a couple times a week.

I'm 20 years in and I don't enjoy it anymore aside from the workout and hanging out with my friends.

I still enjoy kickboxing though and do that a couple times a week.
Maybe I'm having an off day. I went even though I didn't want to and rolled like shit.

I've lost the passion in so far that I don't give a shit to learn about the nth inverted lapel guard.

However, it remains an extremely fun and low impact way to stay active, and I hope to continue doing it forever. I also love passing on my knowledge to youngsters.

<1>
maybe I just don't love it anymore. Last week was my second week back after a month off and I already don't wanna go. Ever get in a rut like this? What fixed it?
Do you feel like you have plateaued? Do you just show up to class or are you working on specific things? Are you training every day? Sometimes competing helps. Sometimes working on your game helps too. There is a bunch of stuff on bjj fanatics and you can pick up a course and just work on something. Some times your life changes and it’s okay like becoming a dad and scaling your training down to be with your kids etc. I still think it’s important to have your hobbies and stay in shape.

<1>

I had the same dilemma. The injuries got to be too much. I still like watching it, and I do miss it every so often, but by the time i get home from work and do what i have to do, the last thing i want to do is get beat up.

Age and injuries taking their toll here too after 14 years. I would rather go for a long bike ride. A very rigid class structure doesn’t help things. I do still enjoy helping out white belts, though.

Do you feel like you have plateaued? Do you just show up to class or are you working on specific things? Are you training every day? Sometimes competing helps. Sometimes working on your game helps too. There is a bunch of stuff on bjj fanatics and you can pick up a course and just work on something. Some times your life changes and it’s okay like becoming a dad and scaling your training down to be with your kids etc. I still think it’s important to have your hobbies and stay in shape.
I think I've stagnated and have been perusing BJJ fanatics for the thing that will spice my game up.

Age and injuries taking their toll here too after 14 years. I would rather go for a long bike ride. A very rigid class structure doesn’t help things. I do still enjoy helping out white belts, though.
See I'm not hurt or anything. It's just today the thought of fighting someone off me and choking them or whatever just didn't feel enticing. And I should have stayed home because that turned into me being a shitty training partner today.

Then save yourself the money and don't go. You're not forced to go. Find another activity and go with that. If you end up really missing it, you can always go back
I'm kind of forcing myself to go. I'm one stripe from testing for a new belt and have quit every damn thing in life. So it's a personal vendetta to not quit this. I gotta be made of something.

I'm kind of forcing myself to go. I'm one stripe from testing for a new belt and have quit every damn thing in life. So it's a personal vendetta to not quit this. I gotta be made of something.
maybe try something different like tai chi? i have done tai chi for twenty years. i dont do push hands, only do the form and i DO NOT care how accurate im doing it for the fighting aspect (not that i think its that effective anyway).

but what is great about it is that you enter a meditative state while moving your body in slow motion and with yang style or something similar you are putting your body through its full range of possibilities so it keeps you really mobile.

but it doesn't get boring because the part of your brain that can get bored sort of numbs out while you are meditating so its really really neat.

and sometimes the feeling that comes over you while doing it is blissful.

aside from actually being able to defend yourself my opinion of traditional martial arts, especially the chinese arts goes up every year. long term health is the goal and nearly nothing does as much for your body in as short a period of time as kung fu and tai chi.

i do a combo if tai chi and xing yi and its great.

I'd be excited if I could find a no gi class that let me drill what I want for 10 minutes or something. Or an open mat with a coach that demanded 15 minutes of drilling before rolling or something. But just rolling and doing a bunch of random moves is uninspiring. I'm not going to use four new butterfly guard sweeps if we never practice them again and there is no drilling time on the schedule.

<1>

I'm in a similar predicament
Judo was off August and only started back last week. I have been drinking and eating like a pig and I am finding it extremely hard to motivate myself

I only train Judo 2-3 times per week and do an open matt no-gi session every Sunday at a local BJJ gym, but I am currently lazy as fuck

I do still go to to the gym to lift, but I don't have to socialize and go at my own pace

I think it is the alcohol, as when I don't drink I love training

Back