what if we treated guns like cars

What does this mean Rip.

It's quite evident not everyone should own guns.

How is this even up for debate

Rights are not dependent on mental state. Privileges are. It's the right to bear arms, not the privilege to bear arms. Diagnosis of mental illness is a subjective thing and denying someone's rights over the opinion of one or two doctors--doctors that are subject to all the biases and corruptions that all human beings are--is completely incompatible with liberty. The whole point of the Constitution is to cut down on the corrupting influence of individuals. Certain rights are inalienable. The right to bear arms is one of them.

What would the founding fathers say about owning cars? Who the fuck knows they would probably think witches conjured them and would have them all burned.

I think people with mental disabilities should be allowed to own guns if they haven't committed violent crimes. It's too easy to call someone crazy, and then take their rights. There isn't even a trial. An "expert" who works for the county just says "that guy is crazy", and bam no more gun rights. All of this talk about expanding mental health care will result in more involuntary committals. Obviously if there are facilities they need to be utilized. Just like with the prison industrial complex the new hospital beds will be filled.

you are free to own one,
How generous of you....

you just got to register it,
No, it's no ones business if I own guns, how many I own, where they are, or what kind. My private property is my private business.

undergo and pass training if you want to operate one,
No. Rights don't require permission from others. Rights can only be nullified by the chosen actions of the individual. My rights are not subject to anothers opinion.

and have it on record if you transfer ownership to anybody else
It's my right to do with my property as I see fit so long as no one is harmed. I have the right to keep, alter, improve, gift, sell, throw away, destroy, or otherwise dispose of my property as I see fit.

Again, private property is a private matter.

is that such a terrible thing?
To those who respect individual liberty and property rights, yes, this is a terrible thing.

Rights are not dependent on mental state. Privileges are. It's the right to bear arms, not the privilege to bear arms. Diagnosis of mental illness is a subjective thing and denying someone's rights over the opinion of one or two doctors--doctors that are subject to all the biases and corruptions that all human beings are--is completely incompatible with liberty. The whole point of the Constitution is to cut down on the corrupting influence of individuals. Certain rights are inalienable. The right to bear arms is one of them.

This is pure Fn stupidity.

ive never read anything so fucking stupid in my life.

Defending whether or not people with mental illness should own guns.

Fucking laughable

Speaking of that rex I got a medical marijuana license and the atf says Im not allowed to have a gun anymore because of it. I believe in gun rights but im telling you this because that second amendment isnt as set in stone as you would like to think unfortunately and that you are right to be fearful/cautious.

What do you think about that ?

You have a good point. Unfortunately most gun problems come from stupid people & people that are screwed up in the head. Your proposition might slightly cut down on the stupidity part.

the real tipping point here is mental stability versus privacy.
on the one hand, anyone with documented instability should clearly not be allowed to legally own guns.
on the other hand, the means by which this knowledge and information is gained and disseminated is
just as clearly protected as being private.
there is the dilemma.

Gun control will be a thing of the past, anyway. 3d printing technology is improving by the day. Fully functional 3d printed revolver:

Gun control will be a thing of the past, anyway. 3d printing technology is improving by the day. Fully functional 3d printed revolver:

That wont make gun control a thing of the past they will make new restrictions on 3d printers and then some hardcore laws to make sure you behave

Speaking of that rex I got a medical marijuana license and the atf says Im not allowed to have a gun anymore because of it. I believe in gun rights but im telling you this because that second amendment isnt as set in stone as you would like to think unfortunately and that you are right to be fearful/cautious.

I think that's terrible. Your actions have brought harm to no one. While I may disagree with some of your choices, I strongly oppose the legal persecution that you and others like you are currently going through.

My best advice for you for now would be to buy a black powder rifle(black powder rifles and pistols are not firearms according to ATF regulation) like a "Hawken trade rifle" and just make due with that until all of this madness passes.

This is pure Fn stupidity.

ive never read anything so fucking stupid in my life.

Defending whether or not people with mental illness should own guns.

Fucking laughable

The childish tenor of your response to my factual explanation says it all, really. Typical of your posts.

It's completely ridiculous, that's what I think. Using marijuana, or alcohol, or whatever else (especially legally) doesn't mean you forfeit your "god-given" right to bear arms as laid down in the Constitution.

That wont make gun control a thing of the past they will make new restrictions on 3d printers and then some hardcore laws to make sure you behave

Good luck with that. Sure as fuck didn't stop people from downloading movies/music.

I think that's terrible. Your actions have brought harm to no one. While I may disagree with some of your choices, I strongly oppose the legal persecution that you and others like you are currently going through.

My best advice for you for now would be to buy a black powder rifle(black powder rifles and pistols are not firearms according to ATF regulation) like a "Hawken trade rifle" and just make due with that until all of this madness passes.

Yea no due process no criminal record or talks with a judge. I went in to by a glock 10 mil and I got flagged and was told the atf issued a memo .... Since when can the atf get around peoples rights with a memo ?

Ill look into that black powder thing and let you know.

It's completely ridiculous, that's what I think. Using marijuana, or alcohol, or whatever else (especially legally) doesn't mean you forfeit your "god-given" right to bear arms as laid down in the Constitution.

I totally agree and it really made me uncomfortable to learn that they could do that . The only thing im guilty of is trying to follow the laws and do things legally. Anyone who tells you if your not doing anything wrong you got nothing to worry about is out of they minds.

Back