What if Viacom Had Purchased Strikeforce, Instead of Zuffa?

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by Papa Shaun, May 22, 2014.

1. Papa Shaun

Papa Shaun Grand Poobah

I was thinking about this the other day. I would like to see how the landscape of MMA would look today, if Viacom had purchased Strikeforce, and merged the company with Bellator. If this had happened, the company could have pursued maybe 2-3 elite UFC fighters who have drawing power, and you may have seen the balance of power shift in the MMA world.

Some of the weight classes would be interesting, in LW and HW...the LW division would have El Nino, Josh Thompson, Alvarez, Chandler, and you would think Aoki could have signed full time.

For the HW class, in addition to the current crop of Bellator Heavies, adding Barnett, Big Foot, Cormier, Arvlovski, Overeem, Werdum, and dare I say....would even Fedor have possibly stayed??? It would have been an interesting division.

One can only speculate, but I would have enjoyed watching a merger of both...

2. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

Viacom bought Bellator after UFC bought SF. if Viacom bought SF they likely wouldnt have bought Bellator after unless they were really serious about overtaking the UFC.

Had they bought both with Spikes platform, possible shows still on Showtime and network tv that would have been the one true competitor to the UFC.

Would have given them the tv platform, SF had the names and Bellator had the up and coming prospects.

Imagine SF HW div with Konrad, Minakov, Volkov, Big FOot, Barnett, Reem, Fedor, DC, Sergei, AA.

LHW with Mo, Page, Tito, Hendo, Mousasi, Feijao, Newton, Vegh, Liam, Lins

MW with Le, Storm, Jacare, Kennedy, Luke, Ward, Lombard

WW with Diaz, Tyron, Askren, LIma, Koreshkov, Hieron, Tarec, Nate M

LW Gil, Masvidal, Punk, Eddie, Brooks, Held, Jansen, Pitbull, Chandler, maybe Aoki and Crusher, signed them to long term deals.

Then Bellators FW/BW divs plus the prospects Bellator has.

Could have maybe done reg events on SPike, instead of SF challengers you do that with Bellators tournaments and make the prospect tournament show on Showtime.

Reg events on Spike, prospect tournament showcase on Showtime, few shows on CBS, you'd have the names and the fights and the prospects with the network to make a run at real PPV buys.

Think they would have done big numbers on Spike and made money to where they could steal top fighters from the UFC.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  3. Papa Shaun

Papa Shaun Grand Poobah

You would have also had Marquart and Seffedine in the WW division as well. It would have been a solid roster all around.

4. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

Yeah I thought I was missing some guys.

5. Velkar182

Velkar182 Brown Belt

If Viacom were able to get to Strikeforce first, they would have had a HWT division, which means they'd have a chance. That's what we learned from the SF grand prix: if you have a good HWT division, people will watch. That division is exactly the reason the UFC bought SF.

6. Slongkong

Slongkong Brown Belt

Why didn't Bellator go after Barnett? he was a ranked HW and it seemed zuffa didn't want him

7. aker2703

aker2703 Banned Banned

wow TS, i must admit i have never thought about this and it would have been a killer move. Buy Strikeforce and leave it on showtime until the UFC deal on spike ended (they had a year of old fights after the UFC went to Fox) and then bring them to spike.

Buy Bellator and have both promotions doing shows on spike and doing 2-3 co-promotional type shows (ala strikeforce/elite xc) per year (on PPV). I think this could have been a home run......sadly hindsight is 20/20.

8. TFanatic

TFanatic Silver Belt

Would have made a very viable #2 as far as roster is concerned. Realistically, they wouldn't have the platform to support a roster that large and we'll paid and they would have had to sell, or lose big names to the UFC.

9. TFanatic

TFanatic Silver Belt

If i remember correctly, the UFC made an offer to Barnett and he shopped around and came back, Bellator probably didn't offer much before they had Viacom money.

10. Mavadorov

Mavadorov Purple Belt

Now imagine that with Chris Weidman in the mix.

11. kingcillo24

kingcillo24 Black Belt

Bellator ownership was probably much cheaper than Strikeforce.

12. Zuni

Zuni Purple Belt

Not to mention Ronda and the rest of WMMA. Ronda vs Cyborg would have already happened by now. Ronda wouldn't have Dana to protect her.

13. UJustGotChaeld

UJustGotChaeld Steel Belt

SF was a money sink. If they kept paying SF wages then they would have lost tons of money. If they stopped paying SF wages all the best fighters would have joined the UFC anyways when their contracts were up.

14. Wrestler160

Wrestler160 Purple Belt

Then Bellator would have been on NBC

15. Zuni

Zuni Purple Belt

You have to spend money to make money, something Viacom is well aware of.

16. elzar

elzar Red Belt

i loved strikeforce. it would have been nice to see bellator folded into that operation and not the reverse, but the main thing is the rosters. that would have been a nice thing.

i wish there were more competition vs. the ufc.

17. Zuni

Zuni Purple Belt

Strikeforce started out as a small kickboxing promotion and then turned into a regional MMA show. There will be plenty more competition popping up here and there in the coming years. MMA is still in it's infancy.

18. UJustGotChaeld

UJustGotChaeld Steel Belt

And is exactly what tanked SF. It's an awful investment, very high risk, without rewards to match.

19. greatsantini

greatsantini Orange Belt

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  20. lsa

lsa Maître d' at The Pussy Lounge

Go tell that to Affliction :icon_chee